Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Will Redskins re-sign lemar marshall?

Califan, the only spot(s) you will see Marshall play are WLB and MLB. Just because he was a safety in college doesn't mean he can still play safety in the NFL. I don't see where your coming from when you say he's the most versatile player on the defense.

um, marshall is undersized, not extremely fast, doesnt blitz very well, and gets TRUCKED by bigger OL and FBs. yes hes ok in coverage, but hes hardly anything to worry resigning.

He's taking up a roster spot that can be used for depth along the D-Line. Give him up, we have youth in the linebacker corp that is also versatile.

Califan, the only spot(s) you will see Marshall play are WLB and MLB. Just because he was a safety in college doesn't mean he can still play safety in the NFL. I don't see where your coming from when you say he's the most versatile player on the defense.

1) I never said Marshall could play safety...you may be thinking of another Califan007 lol.

2) I never said Marshall was the most versatile player on defense...only that I felt he was more versatile than Taylor. And I explained why I gave the nod to Marshall in a later post...

You'll have to explain how hitting harder or being bigger makes you more versatile...

You've completely gone off topic for whatever reason lol...I'll leave you out there to continue debating yourself.

ver·sa·tile – adjective

1.capable of or adapted for turning easily from one to another of various tasks, fields of endeavor, etc.: a versatile writer.

taylor is capable of doing more on the field. marshall could not play saftey any longer, hes too slow. taylor can. taylor is bigger and hits harder and would be better at MLB. we saw what marshall looks like. taylor wouldnt get trucked like that, unlike marshall who was plowed over all season. taylor would also be better at linebacker in coverage because he is faster and would have an easier time keeping up with running backs, unlike marshall who isnt very fast. taylor is also much better at blitzing due to his speed, whereas marshall is not very effective in this role. taylor is more effective in blitzing because of how hard he hits, he is more capable of creating a turnover than marshall is, not to mention his reputation for hitting hard strikes fear into offenses, im sure no one is afraid when they hear lemar marshall coming haha. taylor has the size of a linebacker and the speed of a saftey, thats what makes him so special. marshall has the size of a bigger saftey and not a lot of speed. this is why he was an undrafted FA.

considering youve added nothing to the "debate" we can stop, but taylor is more versatile.

1) I never said Marshall could play safety...you may be thinking of another Califan007 lol.

2) I never said Marshall was the most versatile player on defense...only that I felt he was more versatile than Taylor. And I explained why I gave the nod to Marshall in a later post...

Yea my bad, quoted the wrong guy on that one. But to be more versatile than Taylor you have to have the ability to play multiple positions, which Marshall def does not.

It was originally Rocky. And that is what put in in hibernation. But in the days before the draft, it was Marshall.

And I wouldnt mind seein him as a backup.

Nor would I. Williams puts alot on the shoulders of the linebackers. Lots of keys, lots of reads, lots of assignments. You need to not only be able to play, but to understand how this system works. If GW has to make a choice between guys who are physically and athletically dominant versus a guy who is less atheltic but understands the system, he chooses the later every time. Hence, why Lavar was benched when healthy. Why Warrick Holdman started over Rocky. Why Fletcher was the first free agent aquisition. And ulimately, why Lemar (or Rocky who at this point appears like he's ready to start) was NOT given up to acquire Briggs - someone we clearly coveted, but would also have to train the system to.

Nor would I. Williams puts alot on the shoulders of the linebackers. Lots of keys, lots of reads, lots of assignments. You need to not only be able to play, but to understand how this system works. If GW has to make a choice between guys who are physically and athletically dominant versus a guy who is less atheltic but understands the system, he chooses the later every time. Hence, why Lavar was benched when healthy. Why Warrick Holdman started over Rocky. Why Fletcher was the first free agent aquisition. And ulimately, why Lemar (or Rocky who at this point appears like he's ready to start) was given up to acquire Briggs - someone we clearly coveted, but would also have to train the system to.

i honestly think that rocky didnt start because he had trouble understanding williams coverage schemes for the linebackers. it was blatantly obvious the kid could tackle and had much better range than holdman, but it wouldnt shock me at all to learn that rocky struggled in coverage in practice.

hes bigger

hes faster

he hits harder

hes better in coverage

hes better against the run

what other criteria are you looking for? marshall was an undrafted free agent, taylor was considered the best saftey ever coming out of college. why were even comparing these two is just beyond silly.

Landry is faster, stronger, and can jump higher then taylor therefore hes more versatile?

Landry

40yard- 4.37

425-pound bench press

37.5-inch vertical jump

Taylor

4.54 in the 40-yard dash

365-pound bench press

34½-inch vertical jump.

ver·sa·tile – adjective

1.capable of or adapted for turning easily from one to another of various tasks, fields of endeavor, etc.: a versatile writer.

Wow, cleared THAT up for me... :laugh:

taylor is capable of doing more on the field. marshall could not play saftey any longer, hes too slow. taylor can. taylor is bigger and hits harder and would be better at MLB.

If the only requirements of MLB are hitting hard, you'd have a point. Since it's not, you don't.

we saw what marshall looks like. taylor wouldnt get trucked like that, unlike marshall who was plowed over all season.

Marshall wasn't "plowed over all season" in 2005 or 2004...but you're right, only 2006 should be used to gage every defensive player's abilities. In which case, keeping Taylor beyond this year would be foolish...he allowed the most TDs in the league. We should also get rid of Washington, because he's injury-prone and only getting older. Actually, just going by last season's performance I can't think of a single defensive player who the Skins should have kept.

taylor would also be better at linebacker in coverage because he is faster and would have an easier time keeping up with running backs, unlike marshall who isnt very fast.

Again, if the duties of a LB are solely to cover running backs, you'd have a point...but...

taylor has the size of a linebacker and the speed of a saftey, thats what makes him so special. marshall has the size of a bigger saftey and not a lot of speed. this is why he was an undrafted FA.

Maybe I'm the only person in this thread (beyond the thread starter, perhaps) that understand there's more to succeeding at ANY position on the field than physical size and speed. How easy it would be to determine how well a player would do at any position simply by seeing how hard he hits, how fast he runs, and how big he is. By that measurement, McCune should have been a Pro Bowl MLB by now.

considering youve added nothing to the "debate" we can stop, but taylor is more versatile.

And that tells me all I need to know about both your analytical skills AND your reading comprehension level. :applause:

Landry is faster, stronger, and can jump higher then taylor therefore hes more versatile?

Landry

40yard- 4.37

425-pound bench press

37.5-inch vertical jump

Taylor

4.54 in the 40-yard dash

365-pound bench press

34½-inch vertical jump.

landry is very versatile. he could be a corner with those numbers, taylor probably couldnt. if hes that fast, he will probably be used for blitzing much more than taylor. but hes too small to play a linebacker and taylor is not. being 205, he wouldnt be as effective at stopping the run, unlike taylor who is 232 could lay a pounding on a RB or a FB.

landry and taylors versatility are why they were high draft picks, and why williams wanted them both so bad. this isnt rocket science people.

Yea my bad, quoted the wrong guy on that one. But to be more versatile than Taylor you have to have the ability to play multiple positions, which Marshall def does not.

He can play all three LB positions...and right now I'm not convinced Taylor has the ability to play LB as effectively (or more effectively) than Marshall, especially MLB. There's a whole mental and intellectual aspect to playing MLB that I'm not sure Taylor has. He might...but I'm not going to assume he does simply because of his build.

As I said in an earlier post, talent doesn't equal versatility. Taylor is HUGELY more talented than Marshall, there's no question there.

If the only requirements of MLB are hitting hard, you'd have a point. Since it's not, you don't.

well considering marshall was a doormat this season at MLB (he had been playing OLB the other seasons) taylor would be much better at this spot, obviously he'll never play there because its not natural for him, and it wasnt natural for marshall, because hes a weak linebacker. taylor wouldnt get trucked over because of how physical he plays, which marshall does not. not brain surgery here. in terms of calling a game, who knows, and we'll never know. pure speculation.

Marshall wasn't "plowed over all season" in 2005 or 2004...but you're right, only 2006 should be used to gage every defensive player's abilities. In which case, keeping Taylor beyond this year would be foolish...he allowed the most TDs in the league. We should also get rid of Washington, because he's injury-prone and only getting older. Actually, just going by last season's performance I can't think of a single defensive player who the Skins should have kept.

2006 should be gaged to judge him at MLB since thats NOT where he played the other years. he was horrid at MLB, and didnt call a very good game, go back and watch games, people were confused constantly about what was going on, you can see it in the players reactions. taylor giving up TDs is a joke, hes a great saftey and awful dline and LB play contributed to receivers getting 500 yards down field every play.

washington is proably more injured than we all think, and he will be gone in 2 years or less. and youre not far off on getting rid of a lot of guys, which we pretty much did. new MLB, new CBs, new S, only thing we didnt upgrade was the dline, and theres still time to fix that horrid unit.

Again, if the duties of a LB are solely to cover running backs, you'd have a point...but...

i thought the responsibility was to cover receivers or RBs and to stop the run? he did a great job stuffing that run. that 27th ranking really gave it away, or how many times he was used as a treadmill. but keep thinking taylor would have missed tackles if he hadnt been running in from 20 yards to deep.

Maybe I'm the only person in this thread (beyond the thread starter, perhaps) that understand there's more to succeeding at ANY position on the field than physical size and speed. How easy it would be to determine how well a player would do at any position simply by seeing how hard he hits, how fast he runs, and how big he is. By that measurement, McCune should have been a Pro Bowl MLB by now.

of course there is, but taylor is physical, fast, and big and PROVEN. weve seen what taylor is capable of when he has a good front 7 in front of him. 2005 and 2004 he was great, then all the sudden we set league records in lack of pass rush and sacks, and taylor is "giving up" TDs. that shouldnt be some shock to anyone. taylor has proven he can play in the NFL, and that hes one of the most versatile guys there is. instincts are built in, and hes got them. i guess mccune didnt haha. but marshall is far from versatile, hes a backup on any team.

And that tells me all I need to know about both your analytical skills AND your reading comprehension level. :applause:

how original.

landry and taylors versatility are why they were high draft picks, and why williams wanted them both so bad. this isnt rocket science people.

Bull****...they were drafted so high because of their talent, not because of their versatility. Players who are just as versatile but not as talented won't be drafted nearly as high. Players who are HUGELY talented but not very versatile will ALWAYS be drafted high. Since you rarely need a player to play more than one position, versatility becomes the icing on the cake for most players...if they can play more than one position effectively and successfully, that's one more selling point. But it's not first on the list.

well considering marshall was a doormat this season at MLB (he had been playing OLB the other seasons) taylor would be much better at this spot, obviously he'll never play there because its not natural for him, and it wasnt natural for marshall, because hes a weak linebacker. taylor wouldnt get trucked over because of how physical he plays, which marshall does not. not brain surgery here....

2006 should be gaged to judge him at MLB since thats NOT where he played the other years.

Marshall played MLB in 2005, the season the Skins had the #9 defense, went 10-6 and made the playoffs...and the same season in which Marshall lead the team in both tackles and INTs.

Since you didn't know that, I'm not gonna bother anymore...

Bull****...they were drafted so high because of their talent, not because of their versatility. Players who are just as versatile but not as talented won't be drafted nearly as high. Players who are HUGELY talented but not very versatile will ALWAYS be drafted high. Since you rarely need a player to play more than one position, versatility becomes the icing on the cake for most players...if they can play more than one position effectively and successfully, that's one more selling point. But it's not first on the list.

im looking at versatility in terms of what they can do AT THAT POSITION. nobody can play more than few positions, and most of the time they are ok at the others. nobody comes in and can play all over, it just doesnt happen. landry can blitz, landry can cover, landry can tackle, landry can catch. 4 aspects of him game which make him elite. taylor is the same. there arent a lot of guys that can do all of that, which is why these guys are drafted so high. lemar marshall can play OLB and do a decent job. versatility within your job is what counts, not how many spots you can lineup at on the field.

Marshall played MLB in 2005, the season the Skins had the #9 defense, went 10-6 and made the playoffs...and the same season in which Marshall lead the team in both tackles and INTs.

Since you didn't know that, I'm not gonna bother anymore...

i could have sworn they rotated marcus in with him at MLB, and it was not lemar the whole season. either way, marshall is weak and thats why he lost his job. the end.

It depends on two things

1) can he still play with his repaired shoulders

2) what he thinks he is worth on the open market, the skins are at most going to offer him just over Vet min, so if he proves that he is a quality starter, and other teams are willing to pay him as a starter or as a quality back up, we will lose him.

It depends on two things

1) can he still play with his repaired shoulders

2) what he thinks he is worth on the open market, the skins are at most going to offer him just over Vet min, so if he proves that he is a quality starter, and other teams are willing to pay him as a starter or as a quality back up, we will lose him.

and hes only worth the vet min, because hes a reserve linebacker. hes solid for depth and nothing more.

yet you keep responding :laugh:

we were also debating versatility, and you proved absolutely nothing.

I didn't say I wasn't going to respond anymore, I said I wasn't going to argue with you anymore since you're arguing a completely different topic from one post to another. There's that reading comprehension thing I was talking about earlier lol... ;)

There wont be a big need for him. We have Rocky there who is alot younger than Marshall so i think its probably his last season with us.

Given that our #1 problem last year on defense was lack of depth, it ain't Rocky that's of import here to the question of how big a need for Marshall we'll have. The question is if we'll develop a better #4 LB this season.

Archived