Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Tony Blair resigns effective June 27

smsmith40

Full Story

Tony Blair has announced he will stand down as prime minister on 27 June.

He made the announcement in a speech to party activists in his Sedgefield constituency, after earlier briefing the Cabinet on his plans.

He acknowledged his government had not always lived up to high expectations but said he had been very lucky to lead "the greatest nation on earth".

He will stay on in Downing Street until the Labour Party elects a new leader - widely expected to be Gordon Brown.

In an emotional speech, Mr Blair said he had been prime minister for 10 years which was "long enough" for the country and himself.

2.5 years of speculation finally comes to an end. Its too easy to see Blair going as just another political casualty of the Iraq debacle but in the end I think 10 years in office is about as much as any PM can expect before the public gets tired of him. I think on balance he has been a good PM and that the UK is a better place than it was in 1997.

(cue BlightySkins rant..............j/k)

So what's the scoop on Brown? Is he Blair type Labour or a good ol Neil Kinnock commie type Labour?

Blair type, but he's a greedy tosser and doesn't have a chance of winning the next general election. Cameron is OK, the only problem with these Conservative ****s though is they focus all their energy on the upper classes so anyone, even someone moderately wealthy, get's it up the bum.

Our political system is crap...you can't really win here.

I think some on the left would like to think that Brown is closer to them than Blair was. I think they are in for a rude shock. Brown will want to appear to make a clean break with Blair's policies to some extent, that will be easier to do on foreign policy rather than domestic as Brown was already heavily involved in that area.

From a US point of view, Brown is a committed Atlanticist economically, he is very close to Alan Greenspan but I think he will realise that being seen as close to Bush is electoral poison here. Don't expect any long weekend in Crawford.

As far as the next election goes, I disagree with BS (naturally), I think its going to be very close, the sitaution is very analagous to 1992 where John Major pulled out a close victory 18 months after taking over from Thatcher, aginst a Labour Party that was further ahead in the polls than the Tories are now

Maybe in time Zoony but he's very unpopular at the moment

Maybe so, but I would hope that the people of GB would want a leader who standed firm in his convictions and didn't sway with the tide of popular opinion like a jellyfish at high tide.

GB is the country that gave the world Winston Churchill and Margaret Thatcher.

I applaud Tony Blair for sticking to his convictions in the tradition of that office.

Churchill and Thatcher, not exactly my political heroes.

As I said, I think, on balance, TB has been a good Prime Minister. However, any leader starts using up their personal capital with the public the day they enter office. After 10 years and one unpopular war Blair's capital was gone. It is time to go

Churchill and Thatcher, not exactly my political heroes.

which, no offense, is a real issue facing the UK today.

That which has made a tiny island a global superpower over the centuries is quickly dissapearing.

One of these things is not like the other,

One of these things just doesn't belong.

My point was a willingness to stand by your convictions whether they be popular or not. But if you read the post I'm sure you understood that part, and you're just looking for a fight. :)

Maybe so, but I would hope that the people of GB would want a leader who standed firm in his convictions and didn't sway with the tide of popular opinion like a jellyfish at high tide.

GB is the country that gave the world Winston Churchill and Margaret Thatcher.

They're also the country that kicked Churchill out after WWII (though he did return to power much later). The British electorate is just as fickle as any...

Gordon Brown was a perfect second in command to Blair, but as the leader of the Labour Party, he is going to be a disaster. I expect them to get crushed in the next election.

They have a younger more charismatic guy that some people are trying to get to challenge Brown (I think he is the environmental secretary or something) but he is not willing to go for it.

which, no offense, is a real issue facing the UK today.

That which has made a tiny island a global superpower over the centuries is quickly dissapearing.

No, I think you have a somewhat arms length view of the realities of both those deeply flawed leaders. Churchill was an indomitable spirit and a magnificent orator but was rubbish at running a war or even running a country at war, he had people like Bevin, Atlee and Allenbrook to do that for him. THat is why he lost the 1945 election in a landslide, because the BRitish people had the sense to see that Atlee was the man to shape a post war Britian.

As for Thatcher, I've gained some perspective over the years to appreciate some of the things she did well, in foreign policy and reducing the role of the state but as somebody growing up in Scotland in the 80s I will NEVER forgive the irreperable damage she did to our industrial base, her moneterist economics or the fact she ruled my country for 12 years wihtout the consent of its people or the introduction of the poll tax, I'm sure Americans are familiar with the odious nature of taxation without representation

I realise you might not be familiar with UK domestic policies in the 80s, I just wanted to let you know that there are other perspectives

Our political system is crap...you can't really win here.

I agree with that totally.

We have been screwed for years & I for one will be glad to see the back of him, but I just hope we get someone who can turn the country around...I'm not holding my breath though.

Our whole country is falling apart & Blair & Brown have been the main reason IMHO

Still it's made me get off my sorry arse & start doing something about it...Apply for a transfer within my Company to work over there in one of our US offices :notworthy :notworthy

Neil

Archived