Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Huh?(Or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Off-Season)

LoyalSkinsFan

For me, the biggest thing this weekend's draft did was to prove that I know nothing at all. Om and I have long agreed that, as fans, we are simply not privvy to the inner workings and goings on at Redskin Park....and given the direction the Redskins took this weekend, that feeling was not the least bit diminished.

I consider myself a relatively educated fan, and as such, had a couple different draft scenarios in mind going in. When neither became reality and the Redskins chose Laron Landry with their pick, I was decidedly disappointed. Upon further reflection and study, I felt a great deal more comfortable with the pick, but still a tad curious. Seeing now the later picks from day two, I'm now just confused. All the discussion leading up to this weekend seemed to paint the picture that we were in particular need of defensive line, offensive line and a skill position or two. Having now drafted secondary, linebacker, a quarterback and tight end, I can't help but wonder if we've really addressed our areas of need.

What I hope doesn't happen is that the team takes an altogether TOO conservative approach this year. The key, I think, is to find a balance of free-agent signings and draft picks.

I have to believe that there's more in store. I HAVE to believe that the brain trust that I have continually shown faith in has a plan in place. There will certainly be undrafted rookies brought in and there will assuredly be more free-agent looks and signings. History will show whether or not the 2007 off-season was handled properly.

After all the craziness leading up to the draft, it all comes down to faith and trust in the current establishment. I'm choosing to not sweat it and to watch how it all plays out...no matter HOW confused I may be.

This is why I drink.

HTTR

Quotes from How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Off-Season

Snyder: "Maybe we should use some 08 picks to get back in the first day and draft DLinemen"

Cerrato : "Mr. Snyder.... we must not allow a draft pick gap!!!"

Gibbs : "Gentlemen... you can't fight in here... this is the WAR ROOM!!"

:)

I think the keys at looking at the draft is that you most likely aren't addressing immediate needs, especially when it comes to the second day. For example, LB isn't a need now, but looking at the ages of who's there and who is behind them, you can reasonably guess that LB will be a need sometime in the near future.

Looking at the roster, and seeing where we were thin, it shouldn't come to much of a surprise who we drafted.

While safety wasn't the strongest need, it was still a need, so therefore you take BPA that fits your needs.

Jason

Archived