Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Snyder- Redskins Are on Right Track

@DCGoldPants

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/04/24/AR2007042402340.html

Snyder: Redskins Are on Right Track

Team Owner, Gibbs Keep Draft Options Open

By Jason La Canfora

Washington Post Staff Writer

Wednesday, April 25, 2007; E01

For the first time since just before last year's NFL draft, Washington Redskins owner Daniel Snyder met with the media yesterday and praised the direction of the organization, professing his belief that the club has improved significantly this offseason.

Snyder and Coach Joe Gibbs, who are preparing for this weekend's draft, reaffirmed their philosophy of being aggressive when it comes to player acquisitions and said they would apply that thinking to the draft, investigating ways to trade up or back, while also evaluating whom to take should they keep the sixth pick.

Snyder said that he had not considered altering the front-office structure or hiring a general manager despite last year's 5-11 finish. Snyder, whose team is 59-69 since he bought it in 1999, has drawn criticism for his heavy spending and reliance on free agency, but said that the franchise values the draft as well. And Gibbs said he hopes to refrain from dealing any 2008 picks after entering this draft without any selections in the second, third or fourth rounds.

"We were obviously very disappointed for the fans and for us," Snyder said, "and it was a rough season and a lot of things took place and we think we're making a lot of progress and heading in the right direction, but it didn't stem from our [front-office] structure or one particular thing. We hope and expect to get a lot better."

Snyder said he believes veteran free agents London Fletcher and Fred Smoot are significant upgrades, and anticipates that the organization will make strides whether it keeps the sixth pick or trades it.

Georgia Tech wide receiver Calvin Johnson is considered by many teams the best available player in the draft, and the Redskins are smitten with him as well, sources said, mulling over options to trade up to get him (the team has shopped cornerback Shawn Springs to Detroit, which has the second overall pick, again in recent weeks). Completing such a trade would be difficult -- perhaps impossible without including next year's first-round pick. That, according to Snyder, means that it is imperative that the team identify the best possible candidate for the sixth pick. Snyder has watched Johnson and others work out, and meets with most top prospects.

"From my perspective I'm coming in trying to make sure that we get -- at the sixth pick of the draft -- we're looking for a perennial Pro Bowl player," Snyder said. "We're looking for a dominant player that early. We obviously will be looking to trade down and we may look to trade up, but what we're in search of right now is the sixth pick, because we're not sure if we'll get phone calls [from teams seeking to make a trade] or not."

The Redskins' coaches and scouts spend weeks assessing players, and after much debate they assign a grade to each player and ranks him. But the decision belongs to Snyder, Gibbs and Vice President of Football Operations Vinny Cerrato, who explore trades, run the "war room" on draft day and ultimately make any selections or trades.

"The three of us normally at the end of it try and come up with a final game plan for the draft," Gibbs said.

Gibbs said that the team is not concerned with drafting for a need position with the sixth pick, and that the club's depth at certain areas will not affect how it selects. Wide receiver, for instance, is a position on which the club has splurged in recent years -- Santana Moss, Brandon Lloyd and Antwaan Randle El each got at least a $10 million signing bonuses -- but that would not necessarily preclude drafting Johnson. The highest-rated defensive player to many within the organization, safety LaRon Landry, also plays a position where veterans abound -- but has game-breaking potential -- while Gibbs added that the age of tackle Amobi Okoye, 19, the second-ranked defensive player among many in the organization, was not a detriment, either.

"Long term, it's 'Can this player play for 10 years?' " Gibbs said. "And even though it may be crowded where he initially comes in at a position, if you feel like that long term he's going to be playing here for a long time and has chance to go to Pro Bowls. But I will say this, that doesn't mean he has to do it that first year. Sometimes it's a learning process and sometimes he comes into a position where there's already a lot of talent there."

Gibbs said that he does not see any players in this draft who would be automatic starters on the Redskins, regardless of position, and that the club could still address some needs, such as along the defensive line, on the second day of the draft, citing linemen Kedric Golston and Anthony Montgomery, who were late-round selections last year. The Redskins have yet to augment the defensive line this offseason despite sagging against the run and failing to generate much of a pass rush in 2006, but sources said that if the team did select Landry or Johnson it would turn again to trades and free agency for linemen.

There are a handful of players around the league who received the franchise tag who could be trade material, although sources said the Redskins have not contacted representatives for franchised linemen Cory Redding (Detroit), Charles Grant (New Orleans) or Justin Smith (Cincinnati) to this point. Other pass-rushing defensive ends could become available as well, with Oakland's Derrick Burgess and Buffalo's Aaron Schobel both underpaid by current standards and likely seeking new contracts this offseason (Schobel has strong ties to assistant head coach Gregg Williams). Trading for prominent veterans has been a mark of the Gibbs-Snyder partnership, and they are rarely shy about making bold moves, attempting to land corner Dre Bly and linebacker Lance Briggs in recent months.

"Dan's philosophy is to be aggressive," Gibbs said. "We fall in the category of being more aggressive and it's based on Dan being as aggressive as he is."

"Gibbs said that he does not see any players in this draft who would be automatic starters on the Redskins, regardless of position, and that the club could still address some needs, such as along the defensive line, on the second day of the draft"

I tend to think that CJ is the exception to this rule, eventhough Gibbs states otherwise. Perhaps JG feeling this way about the available defensive options will weigh into their decision to trade up for Johnson, if they were to do so.

It seems to me this is posturing, designed to prepare the fanbase for the shock of selling the farm for the #2 pick. Brace yourselves...

Like I said and will continue to say, it disturbs me that Snyder is still involved in the personel decision making process.

If Gibbs was a weak-willed individual, maybe that would have been a concern. But, we all know what kind of man Joe Gibbs is. Do you think he'd let someone steamroll him?

I'm not worried, because I know that Gibbs makes the final call on everything. I'm also pretty sure that Snyder would give Gibbs anything he wanted. So far, Gibbs seems to have gotten that from his owner.

Jason

If Gibbs was a weak-willed individual, maybe that would have been a concern. But, we all know what kind of man Joe Gibbs is. Do you think he'd let someone steamroll him?

I'm not worried, because I know that Gibbs makes the final call on everything. I'm also pretty sure that Snyder would give Gibbs anything he wanted. So far, Gibbs seems to have gotten that from his owner.

Jason

Where did you read that Gibbs has the final say? Everything I've seen indicates that Snyder has the final say. This whole 'Joe Gibbs is in control' nonsense is a myth perpetuated by some on this board. Gibbs is in control only to the extent that he agrees to coach the crappy veterans that Snyder trades first day draft picks for.

This piece also reaffirms the fact that no matter what happens Saturday (ie even if CJ becomes a Skin) that this place shouldn't go ballistic. If they move up, they hopefully have other plans to address the D-line. Saturday won't mean we know the final makeup of our roster, that's still a good ways away in the future.

Where did you read that Gibbs has the final say? Everything I've seen indicates that Snyder has the final say. This whole 'Joe Gibbs is in control' nonsense is a myth perpetuated by some on this board. Gibbs is in control only to the extent that he agrees to coach the crappy veterans that Snyder trades first day draft picks for.

I'd like to see a link to those reports that say Snyder has the final say...that directly contradicts everything we've heard for the past three years. I understand some still feel Snyder has his hands involved, but I'd be very interested to see "everything" that you've read that says that.

I'm not worried, because I know that Gibbs makes the final call on everything.

Jason

Prove it.

You can't? There's a surprise. Your faith in Snyder is just that -- faith. It's a near-religious level of fanaticism with you.

Because it has been said many times that Gibbs is in charge, including Gibbs himself.

But, if you don't believe what the team says, let logic dictate things: if your senario was even remotely true, why would Gibbs put up with it? The man is in his 60s and doesn't need to work. He also doesn't need to prove himself. If he wasn't getting what he needed for his team, or if terms were dictated to him, do you really think he'd put up with it? He could very easily just resign and go back into retirement in NC and enjoy his grandkids. But, he's still here. That must mean that he's getting the bulk of what he wants.

I think some people would love it to be true that Snyder is picking players over Gibbs' head. It would excuse away a lot of problems this team is having. Same goes with Vinny. But, when you get right down to it, you have to accept that the buck stops with Gibbs, and that Gibbs is responsible for personnel gaffes as much as he is with the successes he has had. For some, that is a bitter pill.

Jason

"Dan's philosophy is to be aggressive," Gibbs said. "We fall in the category of being more aggressive and it's based on Dan being as aggressive as he is."

Well THAT sure doesn't give me the warm, fuzzy feeling that Gibbs is in charge of personnel decisions. I thought Danny was taking a more hands-off approach nowadays but I guess old habits die hard.

Well THAT sure doesn't give me the warm, fuzzy feeling that Gibbs is in charge of personnel decisions.

Or that could just be taken like most people without a grudge against Danny would take it as, "Dan wants to win, he is aggressive in getting guys in here that the organization feels can help." Snyder is obviously aggressive in a lot of areas, his business, his marketing of the Redsksins, and in his willingness to throw money around to bring in players that Gibbs and company want.

Well THAT sure doesn't give me the warm, fuzzy feeling that Gibbs is in charge of personnel decisions. I thought Danny was taking a more hands-off approach nowadays but I guess old habits die hard.

Yep. It definitely seems like Snyder is setting the tone for the entire personnel operation - which he shouldn't be. Gibbs really doesn't seem like he's had it together over the past few years. I don't know if I dare say that he is looking like a "yes" man here - but it's pretty clear that he doesn't have the final say on some things.

I sense that this may reflect more-so the manner with which players are acquired, not which players are sought after. It seems to me Gibbs decides which players are the best fits based on Cerrato's evaluations. Then Snyder applies his patented aggressivness during the acquisition process. :2cents:

"From my perspective I'm coming in trying to make sure that we get -- at the sixth pick of the draft -- we're looking for a perennial Pro Bowl player," Snyder said. "We're looking for a dominant player that early. We obviously will be looking to trade down and we may look to trade up, but what we're in search of right now is the sixth pick, because we're not sure if we'll get phone calls [from teams seeking to make a trade] or not."

Does this say he is sitting back, staying out of things, and just cutting checks? :laugh:

Seriously....can it be any clearer?

By the way, just to illustrate, from NFL.com this is the official quote regarding Gibbs when he returned. "Gibbs was given the title of team president and said he will have "final say on the roster.""

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/WAS/6990502

:applause: Good job!

You have supplied a little balm to put on the sores of the Snyder haters.

They leap at every chance to bash him. Now they can use the balm on their knuckles.

They may even learn to stand upright and walk like a man :laugh:

He and Jerry Jones are tight. The fact that Jones is calling all the shots again in Dallas will only encourage The Danny I am afraid. :doh:

The difference there being that Jones actually has some talent and vision in spotting true potential, Snyder has less than zero.

The difference there being that Jones actually has some talent and vision in spotting true potential, Snyder has less than zero.

Actually, I'd argue that Jones' drafts have been pretty subpar when he hasn't had Jimmy Johnson or Bill Parcells as coach. I give Jones very little ability in drafting players. At least Snyder doesn't pretend that he knows everything about making football decisions.

Jason

Jason

I don't see how you can say this after the Briggs fiasco. If the Bears would have said yes it would have been a done deal.

:applause: Good job!

You have supplied a little balm to put on the sores of the Snyder haters.

They leap at every chance to bash him. Now they can use the balm on their knuckles.

They may even learn to stand upright and walk like a man :laugh:

Final say on the roster means who makes the team.

I don't see how you can say this after the Briggs fiasco. If the Bears would have said yes it would have been a done deal.

So, getting a Pro Bowl LB onto this team would be a fiasco? While I didn't particularly like the deal, I hardly thought it was a bad deal. LB was one of the places where we were pretty weak last year.

Jason

Archived