Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Skins 1999 draft...

morpheusmeyers

I was looking through the NFL draft history and came across 1999. That was the year that Ricky Williams fell to us and the Saints traded us their entire draft plus their 1st the following year for the rights to Ricky. We then traded back up with the Bears so we could get the guy we wanted, Champ Bailey. Check out our draft versus the Bears draft...

1 Bailey. 2 Jon Jansen. 4 Nate Stimson. 5 Derek Smith. 6 Jeff Hall. 7 Tim Alexander.

1 Cade McNown. 2 Russell Davis. 3 Rex Tucker. 3 Dwayne Bates. 3 Marty Booker. 4 Warrick Holdman. 4 Roosevelt Colvin. 5 Jerry Wisne. 5 Khari Samuel. 5 Jerry Azumah. 6 Rashard Cook. 7 Sulecio Sanford. 7 Jim Finn.

That's 6 picks for us (one less than the standard amount) and 13 for the Bears.

Notice a trend? Even when a team gives us their entire draft we still manage to end up short on picks!

Yes the Bears had more picks, but I think its obvious Washington got the better quality out of that draft. Bailey and Jansen over the course of their careers are considerably better than Booker, Colvin, and Azumah, and you have to factor in McNown was a huge bust for them that resulted in them reaching for Grossman a few years later. Let's not confuse quantity for quality in this case.

Oh yeah I like our quality more than theirs. Was just pointing out that despite getting the Saints entire draft we still managed to only net 6 picks, while the Bears landed 13.

We originally had 2 1sts that year, but traded one away (11th overall), plus our 3rd, and a 2000 2nd for Brad Johnson.

This is getting off subject, but how many draft picks have we used on QB's since letting Trent Green go? Those three for Brad Johnson, a 1st for Ramsey, multiple for Campbell, 3rd for Brunell. Any others?

Oh yeah I like our quality more than theirs. Was just pointing out that despite getting the Saints entire draft we still managed to only net 6 picks, while the Bears landed 13.

We originally had 2 1sts that year, but traded one away (11th overall), plus our 3rd, and a 2000 2nd for Brad Johnson.

This is getting off subject, but how many draft picks have we used on QB's since letting Trent Green go? Those three for Brad Johnson, a 1st for Ramsey, multiple for Campbell, 3rd for Brunell. Any others?

WOOOOOOAAAAHHHH!

We gave up a first (11th pick) 3rd and a 2nd for Brad Johnson???

I was only 14 at the time and definately never new that.

i sure hope this isnt true. If so, WOW that was dumb as hell. 1st, second and a 3rd? ill have to look back and see who that could have netted us. How long did JKohnson play for us? 2, 3 years? OUCH if thats true then that was one of the NFLs all time dumb trades.

WOOOOOOAAAAHHHH!

same, I knew we traded a first, but don't remember a 3rd and future 2nd either. That is pretty lame. We could have just drafted a QB with that pick, granted that class was hit or miss with QB's, but I always say that any QB can succeed in the right scheme.

WOOOOOOAAAAHHHH!

Yep. And Minny used that pick to draft Duante Culpepper. ....So Casserly traded Culpepper and a 2nd and a 3rd for Brad Johnson. And some folks here want Casserly back. :doh:

Funny you mention this. I was just thinking about this draft class. It's hard to say that a draft that brings Bailey-Jansen is a bad draft, but this draft was likely the biggest wasted opportunity in club history, given how many picks we had from the New Orleans trade, the fact that we picked up the guy we wanted at #5 at #7, and what we wound up with.

I remember feeling great about things after making the trade w/New Orleans, only to be scratching my head at the end of the draft. Aside from the OK Derek Smith, we got nothing. Given the lack of picks, we obviously traded up for some of these guys.

When we took Nate Stimson in Round 4, I knew something was wrong. It wasn't necessarily a draft that set us back greatly, but it didn't do for us nearly what it could have -- and in that sense, it set us back.

Yes the Bears had more picks, but I think its obvious Washington got the better quality out of that draft. Bailey and Jansen over the course of their careers are considerably better than Booker, Colvin, and Azumah, and you have to factor in McNown was a huge bust for them that resulted in them reaching for Grossman a few years later. Let's not confuse quantity for quality in this case.

Agreed.

I think this thread is a perfect example of how people hear things over and over so it becomes gospel to them. If you cant look at those names and figure out on your own that we got the better deal, thats too bad. Sometimes the way our front office does business isnt such a bad thing, case in point!

I was looking through the NFL draft history and came across 1999. That was the year that Ricky Williams fell to us and the Saints traded us their entire draft plus their 1st the following year for the rights to Ricky. We then traded back up with the Bears so we could get the guy we wanted, Champ Bailey. Check out our draft versus the Bears draft...

1 Bailey. 2 Jon Jansen. 4 Nate Stimson. 5 Derek Smith. 6 Jeff Hall. 7 Tim Alexander.

1 Cade McNown. 2 Russell Davis. 3 Rex Tucker. 3 Dwayne Bates. 3 Marty Booker. 4 Warrick Holdman. 4 Roosevelt Colvin. 5 Jerry Wisne. 5 Khari Samuel. 5 Jerry Azumah. 6 Rashard Cook. 7 Sulecio Sanford. 7 Jim Finn.

That's 6 picks for us (one less than the standard amount) and 13 for the Bears.

Notice a trend? Even when a team gives us their entire draft we still manage to end up short on picks!

Are you serious? I'll take the Skins draft that year over the Bears. We got the best CB in the NFL and a mainstay on our offensive line. It's not the number of picks you should look at but the quality.

Sad to see Champ go, a future HOF.

Yeah, love him but he didn't want to be here anymore. Once we let his boy Jesse "Can't Tackle a Cold" Armstead he was unhappy. But we did get the fun loving and productive guy named Clinton Portis from The U who also help convince Gibbs to draft ST from The U, trade for Santana Moss from The U and draft an LB named Rocky McIntosh from The U. The CP effect has been major and I don't regret the move.:D

I'll take the Skins draft that year over the Bears.

Me too, but we could have done sooooo much better with what we got from New Orleans that year. We squandered a chance to have a draft that would have set us up for 5 years.

Also you don't seem to have accounted for the next year's pick the Skins got that was parlayed into Arrington. If you add him to that haul its obvious we got the better end of the deal.

We got Arrington with the 1st rounder that we got from the Panthers when the signed Sean Gilbert (who was Franchised at the time) to an offer sheet that we didn't match.

Archived