Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NYT-U.S. Knew of China’s Missile Test, but Kept Silent

jpillian

U.S. Knew of China’s Missile Test, but Kept Silent

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/23/washington/23satellite.html?_r=1&hp&oref=slogin

WASHINGTON, April 22 — After a Chinese interceptor smashed into a target satellite in January, Bush administration officials criticized the test as a destabilizing development.

It was the first successful demonstration of an antisatellite missile by any country in more than 20 years. Pentagon officials warned that the test had increased the threat to American satellites. Space experts fretted that it had spawned a cloud of orbiting debris. American diplomats complained to their counterparts in Beijing.

What administration officials did not say is that as the Chinese were preparing to launch their antisatellite weapon, American intelligence agencies had issued reports about the preparations being made at the Songlin test facility. In high-level discussions, senior Bush administration officials debated how to respond and even began to draft a protest, but ultimately decided to say nothing to Beijing until after the test.

Three months after the Chinese launching, a new debate has developed as to whether the administration properly handled the episode or missed an opportunity to discourage the Chinese from crossing a new military threshold.

Click here for the rest of the article

Pretty interesting -- sounds like we knew that China was going to lauch that anti-satellite missile, but didn't let on to it.

Yeah, could be a gazillion reasons why -- I'd add, it's never a bad thing to observe the test of a potential enemy's new weapon.

I just posted the article because I found it interesting that we in fact new about it beforehand. At the time, it sounded like we were caught a bit flat footed.

I'm also interested in how this article was written, and why anyone would let a reporter know that we knew -- seems like a bad idea.

Yeah, could be a gazillion reasons why -- I'd add, it's never a bad thing to observe the test of a potential enemy's new weapon.

I just posted the article because I found it interesting that we in fact new about it beforehand. At the time, it sounded like we were caught a bit flat footed.

I'm also interested in how this article was written, and why anyone would let a reporter know that we knew -- seems like a bad idea.

I guess ultimately they wanted to see if the CHICOMS could hit anything. Now that we have confirmation, we can adjust accordingly

Thank you Bill Klinton :rolleyes:

Thanks for telling the CHICOMS about our intel capabilites NYT's.

Why hasn't this paper been shut down?

Where is the dreaded Patriot Act when you need it?

I'm noticing that Sarge immediately jumps to the assumption that the story is true.

Archived