Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ohio State Buckeyes Spring game....VT tribute.

Shallow1

I went to the Ohio State spring game Saturday (game was fun as always) and they had a pretty touching nod to Virginia Tech. and a moment of silence for the students killed last monday.

This was taken from ESPN's college football page...

"Tressel called Virginia Tech coach Frank Beamer earlier this week to ask if it was OK for the Buckeyes to wear VT stickers. Beamer gave his approval and the Buckeyes all wore the large stickers on the left sides of their helmets. There was a moment of silence before the game for the 32 victims of Monday's massacre at Virginia Tech."

I know a few players on the team and after the game I asked one of them about the VT stickers and he said basically the players and coaches wanted and had to do something as little as it was, but they had to do something to acknowlege what happened at VT and that there hearts and prayers were with that school. He also said he does not want to take it off his helmet and would play the whole year with it there if he could.

I don't think they will let him wear it, but after talking with a few of the guys and hearing them all mention the VT stickers. The fact that they said they still think about it constantly it really put a diffrent perspective on what happened at VT and the effect it has had on college kids everywhere.

If you have a child in college/highschool and they were shaken at all with what happened at VT, keep asking them if there ok and definitly make sure there getting any support they need if there struggling with the VT shootings.

Being involved in many couseling sessions with highschool/college age kids sometimes they think they are ok and have moved on (because they know everything at that age), but they still need support to avoid having any long lasting negative effects.

Chris Wells has an ankle injury and there taking good care of him and he will not practice until summer, the defensive front 7 looked amazing,really amazing. WR looked good as well.....

Here is a link to some pics- http://photo.the-ozone.net/default.aspx?SeasonID=6&SportID=4&CollegeID=0&SortType=0&EventTypeID=0&SportEventID=82db4ee8-5ad3-4566-b3cd-5d0cc13d0d23&TeamMemberID=00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000&PhotographerID=0&RowCount=12&PageNumber=1

thats kind of surprising but a very good sign. we need some one to step up.

Not mine, but I agree with this summary

QB: Much to be desired...yes there were flashes, but I am far from confident in any of the 3 we have. Henton is definetly a year away and he made some flat out awful decision today, though the physical ability is there and I think he will be a talent down the road. Shoenhoft is pretty nimble and obviously has a great arm, but it just seems he can't make the big throw when it counts. Couldn't get a real good read on him today. Boeckman wasn't spectacular but he did a pretty decent job. He can make the downfield throw and makes pretty decent decisions. I am worried about his mobility though because he didn't look good at all under pressure. Now I realize that the QB play will get better with the starting OL and Beanie in the backfield, but there were other things mentioned above that could pose a problem in any situation. Boeckman will be under pressure sometimes, Henton can't rely on athletic ability alone, and Shoenhoft forces balls and can't seem to make the big throw.

RB: Mo Wells did an excellent job imo. He has a very nice burst and we need to get him out in space and off tackle plays where he can cut back. The walk-ons did decent and I really liked K.C. Christian.

FB: Saw a bit of Olson and he looked good but I would say Dionte gets the nod. Pretty good play overall.

WR: We are going to be alright here it seems...Small is going to have to be huge for us though. Hartline and Robiskie are both good receivers but we are going to need a flat out playmaker and I think Small is going to be that guy. Super quick. Devon Lyons looks like he may be ready for a breakout year though. I also think Dukes may factor in at receiver this year as well. I see in order of Robiskie, Hartline, Small, Lyons, and Dukes.

TE: Brandon Smith had a real nice grab (though it was on a walk on) Rory Nicol should be solid but I honestly think Ballard will be our biggest TE threat offensively this year.

OL: Didn't pay attention to anyone individually really other than Boone and Moses. Boone looked great I though and Andrew Moses did one heck of a job at center. I think he has some real promise. The OL showed some nice flashes but it's hard to evaluate with all the injuries.

DE: We are absolutely stacked. Gholston, Wilson, Rose, and Barrow are going to all be spectacular in the rotation. Wilson looks HUGE. May even see some Ryan Williams. We haven't been this loaded since '02.

DT: Overall I liked what I saw. Larimore seemed to be in the backfield a lot and I am confident in Worthington in the trenches. Garnier is showing some promise. Denlinger should be solid. Abdallah I wanted to see more out of but I think he could contribute. Of course the OL they faced isn't what they will see this year with all the injuries, so I would say the verdict may still be out.

LB: Stacked, stacked, stacked. I think your starters are Lauranaitis, Freeman, and Grant. Grant is an absolute beast and you have to love his speed off the edge. He is going to be a sack machine. Freeman looks amazingly quick this spring and Lauranaitis looks even bigger and badder. Then you have a very solid Homan, Curtis Terry is making all kinds of plays, Spitler is always around the ball it seems, and Thad Gibson I wanted to see play. Mark Johnson as well.

DB: Impressed today with a lot of people. Shaune Lane had an excellent game. Jenkins we know will be good, Washington should be a stud(though I didn't see much of him, which is probably a good thing), and Evege looked the part. I wanted to see some of James Scott though. Grant Schwartz is a guy they need to find a way to get on the field. I just think he is going to be a playmaker and I loved watching his INT today. Moeller looks decent but I think he is a year away. He has good instincts mostly but I think some times he relies on them so much that he gets himself out of position at safety. Still adjusting to the position imo. Kurt Coleman is going to be the starter along with Russel imo, which also brings me to the point we still have JamO and Russel to equate in. Should be well stocked here.

K: Both kickers look solid.

P: Trapasso is a stud...I got so pumped to see him run down the field and level that guy. Our punter is an athlete.

Special teams: Kickoff coverage concerned me a bit. Kick returners look good and you just hold your breath every time Small gets the kick. I want to see James Scott return the ball because his highlight film was amazing on returns. Punt coverage was superb and the returner are iffy...if they want someone to just catch it, Robiskie is your man. If they want a serious threat, they need Small back there imo. Should be solid again in special teams though and we should never worry much about this department with JT at the helm.

One of the nascars had VT on the hood and bunch also had VT decals. I know the Fed Car was racing hard for the VT victims and families.

Ward Burton #4, is from souther Va., Hamlin has a special themed helmet that will be auctioned off after the Richmond race and all 43 cars had VT stickers on the b-pillar ( behind the drivers door )

In front of our football stadium, Doak Campbell, we have a giant statue of a Seminole on a horse, called the "Unconquered" statue, and the statue's spear tip is lit on fire before home football games and other big FSU events on campus to symbolize the unbeatable spirit of the Seminole tribe. Last week, besides the campus vigil and other stuff around campus, they lit the spear on fire for the first time ever for a non-FSU event in honor of VT, which I thought was definitely pretty cool:

fsuunconqueredforvtya0.jpg

Archived