Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

HDMI Gurus: Need Quick Diagnosis

project myu

I just need a quick diagnosis to get me started in figuring out my problem.

I bought a Samsung LCD TV and it is awesome. I ordered Cox Digital Cable's HDTV service. It is awesome.

I bought a Toshiba DVD player along with an HDMI cable. I rented a DVD last night. It was not so awesome.

For some reason, the sound would cut out for a split second, or the screen would flash for a split second. Sometimes, it would lose the entire HDMI signal for a few seconds before flickering back to normalcy.

Is the problem most likely with the DVD? The DVD player? The HDMI cable? Or the TV? I will be going out to research this further later (i.e. exchanging cable and getting another DVD to test), but just want to know what I should probably expect.

Well, if you're losing the signal completely, then it comes back on and continues to do that back and forth, it could be a faulty cable or a loose connection. An HDMI cable is 100% digital. You'll either get the signal or you won't. While playing a DVD, have you wiggled the cable around the connections to see if it effects the picture? If your cable box is hi-def, try using that cable on it and see if the picture does the same thing. What brand is the HDMI cable?

You can also switch the HDMI inputs. Plug the DVD player into the TV's other HDMI input where your cable box is, then see if it still does that. If it does, you know it's not the tv's input.

There are also different HDMI versions from 1.0 to 1.3. If both the TV and DVD player aren't using the same version, then that could be causing your problems.

That wouldn't cause a problem. It sounds like a loose connection. As WP siggested, try manipulating the cable at the connection of the tv to see if it causes variations in interference.

There are also a lot of existing problems with hdmi modules in certain manufacturers tv units. Which tv, name and model number, are you using?

I bought a Samsung LCD TV and it is awesome. I ordered Cox Digital Cable's HDTV service. It is awesome.

I bought a Toshiba DVD player along with an HDMI cable. I rented a DVD last night. It was not so awesome.

For some reason, the sound would cut out for a split second, or the screen would flash for a split second. Sometimes, it would lose the entire HDMI signal for a few seconds before flickering back to normalcy.

Is the problem most likely with the DVD? The DVD player? The HDMI cable? Or the TV? I will be going out to research this further later (i.e. exchanging cable and getting another DVD to test), but just want to know what I should probably expect.

just use the hdmi cable with the tv first and see if you notice the same issues, if you don't then you know it is either the dvd player or the dvd

since you have a samsung i am assuming you have the double hdmi input? correct?

When it comes to how many pieces of equipment we now have today, I use this simple test to narrow down what may be wrong. Process of elimination. if ti doesn't do it with the tv, it;'s not it. If it doesn't do it with the sat/cable box, it isn't it. Narrow it down. see when it does it and with what component it does it with. If it is only while watching a DVD, it is likely something connected with the DVD. Sometimes it is the simple thing. Try another DVD, if it plays well, it could just be the DVD.

First thing, though is ALWAYS check the cables and make sure they are firmly connected, after that, just eliminate and narrow your problem down.

• 1 month later...

This maybe a bit late, but I have been reading up on HDTV's because I am about to get one. And while reading reviews, I have read several about problems with Samsungs and HDMI connections, especially with PS3. I will try to find the reviews and post a link to them. But sounds very simliar to the problem you are having.

Archived