Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Marcus Mason - Great local late-round steal?

congo4269

I remeber how he hit the holes. 2002 GP ran the clock down to 1 second before half and ran Marcus up the middle for a 45 yeard touchdown against Good Counsel. He broke a good amount of lifting records I believe. I'm all for it just not a draft pick. He's got talent thats for sure though.

I graduated from Prep in 04, co-captain of the football team, I didn't get a chance to play with Marcus, but I can attest to his great work ethic, he didn't have any character issues either. And for people doubting his speed, that is silly, he ran track his junior/senior year and was the first leg of the 4X100, and also ran the 100, he was a burner, as well as tremendously strong. I wish him well, and hope that if we don't draft him, someone else gives him an oppurtunity.

I played football at Prep with Marcus for a year as well, and I have been pulling for the redskins to sign him since I was a freshman in high school.

I have never seen anybody accelerate through holes faster than he does, and even with those 30 extra pounds, it doesn't look like he has skipped a beat besides maybe his top speed. And even at 185, you almost had to sneak up on the guy if you wanted to bring him down.... He has the moves and the lower body strength to break everything but the surest of tackles. With the additional 30 pounds I think that will translate well into the NFL.

I hope the skins give him a shot, but watch denver pick him up and make him a star :doh:

Is he healthy yet? I know late in the year during YSU's playoff run (and when JMU played them) he was battling some injuries. If I recall his ankle (I think it was) was pretty messed up at the time. If its still hurting him I doubt he has been able to work out much for scouts.

Good but why do we need another RB? Our skill positions are set what we need is are assistants who can see the crease and make the right adjustments and put people in the right position and we also need to shore up th OL. No our OL is not fixed. I suspect it will be fixed after training camp. Training Camp will be different this year. Yes I do have a "hunch" that training camp will be different, or it should be.

I was thinking we could draft him (or sign him after the draft) not as a rb... but as an athlete. He is a bit undersized for a rb anyways, but can play CB well and special teams. If he pans out as a RB, great; if not, I think he would still be a good player elsewhere after a year or two on the practice team. He just has too much raw potential to pass up.

The guy can't catch, and an undersized RB would be a midget CB. How is that in anyway a good idea?

The guy can't catch, and an undersized RB would be a midget CB. How is that in anyway a good idea?

Just like I said, because he is an incredible athlete that has a lot of raw potential. And he can catch, it just isn't one of his strengths (just like Clinton Portis). I used the CB reference to prove that he can play other positions (and 5'9 is by no means midget... 3 of the top 10 cornerbacks in the draft this year are the same height). See Darren Sproles if you need further proof that you can be small in this league and still have an effect (or Santana for that matter, incidentally also 5'9).

Just like I said, because he is an incredible athlete that has a lot of raw potential. And he can catch, it just isn't one of his strengths (just like Clinton Portis). I used the CB reference to prove that he can play other positions (and 5'9 is by no means midget... 3 of the top 10 cornerbacks in the draft this year are the same height). See Darren Sproles if you need further proof that you can be small in this league and still have an effect (or Santana for that matter, incidentally also 5'9).

Do you have any idea how many truly insane athletes are currently playing college football? If you are going to take a "project" to convert into something, you take someone like ARE who set records at QB in the Big Ten, has college track-level speed and could play D-I point guard.

And he's still just an average pro football player.

You don't take some short guy from I-AA.

Does anybody know why this kid is on nobody's radar. I know the level of competition isn't as high as everybody would like but there are plenty of 1-AA guys ranked. I googled him and found very little on him.

For what it is worth, the Skins worked him out on 4/7.

http://www.redskins.com/news/newsDetail.jsp?id=4333

Well as I mentioned earlier Mason had some injury problems at the end of the year. I believe leg issues (ankle I think). He may not be fully healed yet, and thus not showing much workout wise. I know for a fact he was hurting going into the playoffs for Youngstown.

Is this the first ever "Draft this guy because he went to my prep school!" thread.

First of all, don't make fun of us prep school kids!!!!

Secondly, I was one of his offensive linemen his sophomore year. The kid looked like Barry Sanders constantly. I hated blocking for him because i never knew if he was actually following the hole or just finding another place to go. My senior year at Prep we were #1 in the area only because of him. With that being said, he is small, and he left Illinios because someone was better than him. The guy has talent, but NFL talent??? Well that is yet to be seen. As of now, maybe he'll get a practice squad nod, (that rhymed) but nothing more.

oh ****, I totally missed that he was on the list of guys who were working out on the 7th. I even looked for him. Hopefully he is the next bethea for somebody, if not us.

an aside.... there are a ton of georgetown prep guys on here

Another wonderful athlete from the community of Scotland. The nephew of Mark Mason never had character issues. Being that I lived in the same neighborhood and knew him all of his life. While the other kids his age were worried about getting high, Marcus took another path. So before you judge people from hearsay get your facts straight. It is too bad that Marcus didn't go to Churchill like the rest of the neighborhood!

• 2 weeks later...

Mason signed:

http://www.ysu.edu/sports/football/2007/masonredskins.htm

doubt he ends up making the team, too much talent at RB....

maybe scout team? Hopefully the guy makes it or is picked up somewhere else, really think he has the talent to play somewhere in this league....be nice if was for the skins..

Football: Marcus Mason Inks Free-Agent Deal With Washington Redskins

Youngstown -- Former Youngstown State All-America tailback Marcus Mason (Potomac, Md.) has signed a free-agent deal with the Washington Redskins, the organization announced on Monday.

Mason, who rushed for a school-record 1,847 yards in 12 games as a senior, becomes the first Penguin to sign a contract with the Redskins since Quentin Lowry in 1981. Mason averaged a school-record 153.9 yards rushing per game and scored 23 touchdowns as the program reached the NCAA playoff semifinals for the first time since 1999.

After transferring from Illinois prior to the 2005 campaign, Mason had a memorable two-year career with the Guins. In his two seasons, he played in 21 games rushing for 2,739 yards on 478 carries. He had 31 touchdowns and set a school record with a 95-yard touchdown run at Western Illinois in 2006.

Archived