Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Marcus Mason - Great local late-round steal?

congo4269

Wow, this news flat out made my day. I played for Prep back in the mid-90's, and like many alumni went back to catch games after. The first time I saw Marcus play, I was flat out stunned. He had moves you just don't often see at the high school level. I've been telling my friends since that day about this guy and how he'd play in the NFL one day.

The fact that he's signed by my team, just makes me even happier. Good luck to Marcus, and I hope you find success at this level...

Damn! I can't believe you guys got Mason. As a Denver fan I was really hoping we'd pick this kid up. He reminds me of Priest Holmes. You guys got a steal here...watch the video on the web. He's explosive with amazing moves and can go the distance on any play. It would not suprise me to see him push CP off your roster in two years.

im pumped to have mason. this guys a freak. he picked Illinois out of high school because they gave him a car (which is what he ended up getting in trouble for at Illinois--but would you turn down a car if you lived in scotlands in potomac? I wouldnt). If he had gone to Maryland or UNC or any of the other ACC schools that offered him he would have been a higher pick than that. It says something about his talent that U Illinois gave him a car. In his only start for Illinois he rushed for over a hundred yards.

I hope he makes this team because he'll be atleast a heck of a special teams player covering kicks and punts.

played with the guy for two years at prep....was a beast best athlete (besides roy hibbert) I have ever played with....

honestly thought he would be a college stud...unfortunately the guy does, i would say, lack some "character problems" but i havent seen the guy in years, and I hope that times have changed and he has grown up......

i do know that when he was at illinois not only did he have grade problems, but he eventually got the final ax off the team for getting caught shoplifting......I really hope the guy has shaped up, and matured......

sh!tt I have done tons of worst stuff myself, so I am not downing the guy.......just saying I hope for his sake, because I think he really could make it big, that the guy takes his chance seriously and gives it his all........

the guy is a one in a million talent, I guarantee that....

I hate to throw water on the parade and celebration in this thread here, but Marcus Mason's Pro Day workout wasn't that great. Running a 4.67 and 4.72 is pretty slow, unless you weigh 250+ lbs.

By comparison, Rock Cartwright ran a 4.42 forty at his COMBINE workout, which was one of the fastest times among RB's. Nemo at 255 lbs., ran a 4.55 forty by comparison. Plus his short height (Mason), means he will probably be a poor pass receiving target, even if he has decent hands.

Of course, I guess you can always use the Emmitt Smith comparison (Dallas Cowboys). Smith only ran about a 4.6 forty before he was drafted.

But it doesn't hurt to give Mason a chance. :)

Worked out at Akron's Pro Day.

Player Position Gil's comments

Marcus Mason RB Mason (5-8 ½, 216) ran his 40s in 4.67 and 4.72. He also notched a 31 ½-inch vertical, a 9-foot-2 broad, a 4.71 short shuttle, a 7.53 three-cone drill and 22 bench presses

I hate to throw water on the parade and celebration in this thread here, but Marcus Mason's Pro Day workout wasn't that great. Running a 4.67 and 4.72 is pretty slow, unless you weigh 250+ lbs.

By comparison, Rock Cartwright ran a 4.42 forty at his COMBINE workout, which was one of the fastest times among RB's. Nemo at 255 lbs., ran a 4.55 forty by comparison. Plus his short height (Mason), means he will probably be a poor pass receiving target, even if he has decent hands.

Of course, I guess you can always use the Emmitt Smith comparison (Dallas Cowboys). Smith only ran about a 4.6 forty before he was drafted.

But it doesn't hurt to give Mason a chance. :)

Just wanted to make two more points... first off, his speed has never been his strength... it has always been his quickness and his vision. His acceleration into cuts and holes, and his vision to see those holes during the split second that they are open is what makes him a freak (rock doesn't even come close to him in either of these categories, which I would argue are both more important than top speed). Secondly, I know that he is faster than 4.7; I personally watched him run a 4.4-something his senior year of high school. Now he has put on 25 pounds of muscle since then, but I'm sure that after a year of development the skins could shape him into a solid player.

I started this thread 2 weeks ago in hopes that we would pick him up, and now that we have I'm going to make another bold prediction: Mason will see playing time within 2 years... if not here than somewhere else.

What does the outlook look like for Mason? Worse then when he started camp or has he looked good during camp?

What good running backs in the NFL run a 40 over 4.55? I heard that Emmitt Smith did....

All I remember is that this guy is one of the most amazing athletes I have ever seen.......

It is a shame, because what I saw him do in practice does not compare at all to what the guy would do on the field.......the guy is a gamer......

An NFL gamer??? Who knows......odds are probably not considering the talent needed to be succesful in the NFL......

but who knows, the kid could be like the RB the steelers picked up out of UNC...whats his name......

but who knows, the kid could be like the RB the steelers picked up out of UNC...whats his name......

Don't think so. His nickname is "Fast" Willie Parker. He has speed.

I saw Mason run in December in the NCAA semi final game against App. St. He had a good game (120 yards) but his yards were meaningless. YSU got dominated for the entire game and lost in a blowout to the eventual NCAA champion ASU Mountaineers.

He might be interesting to watch in TC / Preseason.

And App. St. set their sights a bit high this season ... opening in Michigan!

Do you have any idea how many truly insane athletes are currently playing college football? If you are going to take a "project" to convert into something' date=' you take someone like ARE who set records at QB in the Big Ten, has college track-level speed and could play D-I point guard.

And he's still just an average pro football player.

You don't take some short guy from I-AA.[/quote']

It sure did not work out for the Eagles (Westbrook at Nova)

Can't believe nobody said that yet.

I watched Mason while we were both at Prep (albeit we didn't overlap much) and he was an unbelievable player. As someone said earlier, he is the consumate gamer and would have a good chance to make the roster on almost any *other* team in the league. Our problem is that we're so deep at RB, that barring injuries, we're not going to need him.

I watched Mason while we were both at Prep (albeit we didn't overlap much) and he was an unbelievable player. As someone said earlier, he is the consumate gamer and would have a good chance to make the roster on almost any *other* team in the league. Our problem is that we're so deep at RB, that barring injuries, we're not going to need him.

yea i played with the guy.............amazing athlete.........

but i dont buy the fact that he would make another team over us because we are so deep.........

we got a top running back in CP.........we got prob the best 2nd back in Betts.....but we still, just like any team need a 3rd or 4th back on our team......and that is the same with any team no matter how good their first/second are.......so if Mason ain't good enough to make that, then so be it.......he isn't good enough.......but if shows the flashes of "amazing" everyone has seen who has seen him play in person........then it be awesome to see him grab a 3rd or practice squad spot on the team......

Have not seen him play since GPrep (Prep is nothing close to the NFL or big time College Football)

But in this video he ran the "exact" same way he ran at Prep..........

Never "outrunning" players.......u know what, if what it took to be an NFL RB is the fastest dude then everyone who ran the 100M in the Olympics would have some type of NFL contract........but u know what NONE OF THEM DO.......

This guy might end up far from a good NFL back.......

But that is not what I think......I believe that this guy has that "it"....

Think of it this way.....I bet you there were at least 4 or 5 QBs at the combine who put up better stats then Tom Brady.........at least......Who is a better "NFL" QB??

6th round (Brady) is not that far at all from being undrafted.......Love to see Mason succeed......but its gotta be a million to won......

love them odds.....

What good running backs in the NFL run a 40 over 4.55? I heard that Emmitt Smith did....

Priest Holmes

Terrell Davis

Curtis Martin

All runners, less than 220lbs, who never ran faster than 4.6. They all had great playing speed to go with great vision and instincts. Those qualities come across when you look at Mason on film.

As far as playing at a small school, you look for players who dominate that level of play. I think it's pretty safe to say that Mason dominated 1-AA level competition.

I'd say he's got a shot. Rock Cartright is a nice backup, but he's nothing special. Mason looks like he's got better vision and running instincts than Cartright. Cartright is an effort player who squirms and wiggles through holes and tackles, and has a little breakaway speed if he can work his way through traffic. Mason simply explodes through holes after reading his blocks. They're not that different, size-wise.

As with Cartright, it will come down to special teams play. Plain and simple.

Priest Holmes

Terrell Davis

Curtis Martin

All runners, less than 220lbs, who never ran faster than 4.6. They all had great playing speed to go with great vision and instincts. Those qualities come across when you look at Mason on film.

As far as playing at a small school, you look for players who dominate that level of play. I think it's pretty safe to say that Mason dominated 1-AA level competition.

I'd say he's got a shot. Rock Cartright is a nice backup, but he's nothing special. Mason looks like he's got better vision and running instincts than Cartright. Cartright is an effort player who squirms and wiggles through holes and tackles, and has a little breakaway speed if he can work his way through traffic. Mason simply explodes through holes after reading his blocks. They're not that different, size-wise.

As with Cartright, it will come down to special teams play. Plain and simple.

Is he currently working out with anyone?

I know this is a Mason thread, but we did pick up another really good UDFA running back in Terry Caulley. He was timed running a 4.31 at one point (official time)... more recently he a ran a 4.37 and 4.38 (at UConn's pro day -- also both official). He's smaller than Mason... but has great hands, even better speed, and could possibly be a return man (although he was a RB at UConn).

It would be amazing if either guy made the roster, but they've got a shot... One of them will hopefully at least make the practice squad.

And for the record -- Caulley is local a guy too... I don't know why that always gets overlooked. He grew up in Calvert County, MD --- southeast of DC.

Archived