Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

VT Massacre....

onnie007

I posted this in the tailgate

I have to say, I didn't expect to post here again, but as always in the face of tragedy this place is a sanctuary.

I know this should probably be in the main thread, but I wanted to make sure people saw this. Being an alum (and I know we have many students and alums on here from VT) I want to thank everyone on here for all your support and well wishes today

It really makes our rivalries seem pretty small at times on the field, we are all in this together

Can we not argue about how the students themselves decided to react at the convocation? This message board is a group of Redskins fans, not VTech students. Let the students move on how they feel best. Let's use this thread to let them know how much support they have from around the nation and around the world.

I think we are just trying to open people's eyes to another point of view. I am not trying to argue that it was wrong or right to do. I am stating simply, just as you are, that we need to focus on supporting the families and friends that just suffered a huge loss.

Again, God Bless all those in need at this time...God works in mysterious ways and I dearly hope that everyone can come from this a better human being.

did i once in my post say that it was just about the school? no. not one single time. i said it was about not only our school, but everyone who lives in the blacksburg area, the families and friends of the victims, and our nation as a whole. so im not sure how i "prooved your point." You act like that chant is the only thing we are doing to support and help mourn this terribly tragedy. in the end, there isnt anything that anyone can do to completely comfort anyone who has to cope with losing a loved one, but if this chant offered them hope and happiness for even one second, then it was worth it no matter what you convince yourself or try to argue. and imo, you sitting at your computer b*tching about how we in blacksburg try to help everyone cope with this tragedy is a thousand times more insensitive than anything that went on during that convocation.

TSH AND LaVarLuver.....I don't really think this thread is the appropriate place to debate about ANYTHING. I know it is the internet and a message board, but the thread starter just wanted people to show support and toss out condolences to those that were taken from us or injured yesterday. If yall really want to debate about it, God forbid, then do it in another thread please.

I go to school at Radford University, which is about 15 minutes away from Tech, so this tragedy really hits home and puts things into perspective.

This thread is a refreshing sight to see right now, because things are pretty nuts around this area, and we need all the optimism and condolences we can get right now.

TDBerg, my heart goes out to you and your fellow classmates, friends, professors, and everyone else that was remotely affected by yesterday's events. I want you to know that your brothers and sisters from Radford are here to help you guys in ANY way we possibly can. Take care my man.

you kind of proved my point. its not about the school - its about the people. the kind of support that was displayed is the status quo. but less than 24 hours after a tragedy, everyone is "rallying" together to show that a university and community will "move on?" THAT IS dehumanizing the tragedy. it makes it about the cause and the community and not the people who died. I'm not trying to be insensitive, but i think society in general is disconnected and desensitized to violence. all this is is a way for people to get their minds of what really happened and get together and get a false sense of comfort and unity. its a showy display but entirely empty and in the end, wont do a bit of true, lasting good to the friends and families of those who really KNEW those victims intimately. in the end, what do you think the families would appreciate more, remember a bunch of people get together for a few minutes and chant together.... or for those thousands of people to offer REAL support , love, and compassion?

So I am under the assumption that you had the same mindset after 9/11 when everyone chanted USA...USA.. when Bush gave his speech at ground zero?

The students of that university will move on, yes, they have to, but dehumanizing? far from. They have to walk by and live in West AJ, they have to walk by or attend class in Norris every single day for the next 4-5 years, and with every glance they take at those two buildings, I can guarantee you that they will remember what happened yesterday.

The students that have not been accepted yet, those 5 years from now, will live in and attend classes in those buildings and I can guarantee their mind will wander back to wonder what it was like that day, how it felt, what they would of done, put theirselves in that same location 5 years prior.

I can guarantee that every year on April 16th, the university will remember and praise the people that died, and praise the many heroic gestures of those whom sacrificed themselves to save others.

I can even guarantee you, that those 32 people were in the hearts of every single one of the tens of thousands of people chanting that simple phrase, and you know what?

Those 32 murdered, were chanting with them.

May god bless every one of the lives taken and their families and friends.

The "Lets Go Hokies" was the most powerful show of solidarity I've seen. After all that they have been through, some losing sons, daughters, husbands, brothers, sisters, cousins, dormmates, good friends, aquantiances. People will point fingers and try to figure out "who is to blame besides the shooter". That chant showed that the students would not be divided into "Pro-president of the university" and "anti-president of the university". The fact of the matter is, it wasn't planned, they didn't say "after the author gets off the stage, everyone chant, "lets go hokies" " it was one of the most beautiful, poetic things that I have ever had the opportunity to see (maybe not first hand but I was watching an internet stream). I would think that it would be different if say, 20 VT students were killed and 10 regular citizens, but everyone that lost their lives were all VT students/teachers.

i did not attend vt, my sister is a grad there and i have alot of friends that went there. it is one of the saddest things i have ever seen. my heart goes out to everyone involved. go hokies!!!!!!!!! Friday is National Maroon and Orange day so be sure you wear your maroon and orange

Very sad day, very sad week, very sad month, and a very sad history moment for Virginia Tech. My condolences go out to the entire community of Virginia Tech, family, friends, teachers, everyone. Such a very sad day for them.

It's very sad how things such as 911 and now Virginia Tech, and things along that line, will stick in our head better than our childhood memories.

One of the fruits of being free is that you have the right to blow anyones brains that pisses you off. When can it happen? Anytime, where? anywhere and even at a stop lihght. Yep, you want to blow someone's brains out then you're free to pull the trigger. More cases than not the punishment depending on jurisdiction is nothing worst than paroled in 5 -10 years.

I've never owned or shot a gun before being in the military and never shot a pistol before receiving my commission as a 2nd lieutenant back in 99. Yep and I went to Birney Elememntary on Martin Luther King AVE, S.E D.C.; Douglass Junior H.S. on Stanton RD, S.E. D.C. and Eastern H.S., 17th and East Capitol ST, N.E., D.C. depending on what side of the road you're on. Why do we have so much freedom? because there's no deterent.

The whole area was devestated by this. My thoughts and prayers go out to my blacksburg neighbors and friends. It reminds me of directly after 9/11 when an elderly french woman was famously quoted as saying, "Today, we all are americans". Well yesterday we all were hokies. I live barely ten minutes down the road and have many friends in Blacksburg, the overwhelming majority of them are staying, and want to get back to being college students. Moving on is not disrespectful, it is healthy. Moving on is not forgetting, it is understanding, accepting, and eventually forgiving. The Hokie chants were impromptu and not at all indicative of any base attempt to forget or trivialize yesterday's tragic events. Any suggestion that they were so is closeminded at best.

One of my friends, Daniel Perez, was killed in this tragedy. It's the wierdest thing to see someone one week and he is gone the next.... God Bless all the families and students involved in this horrible situation. He attented Hylton High school. He and I were on the swim team my sophomore year there.

I went to the memorial ceremony this afternoon, we got there late so I was in the overflow at Lane Stadium. When everyone got up and started chanting, "Let's go Hokies!", it gave me serious goose bumps.

I was watching the service this morning on Fox News (We're lucky to get it in the UK via Satelite) before I left for work & when they showed them chanting & clapping I got all choked up & the whole Goosebump thing it was the just the most touching sight I'd seen for a LONG time.

My heart goes out to them all

Neil

Archived