Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Kato Serwanga picked up off waivers.

Rat_Boy

Originally posted by 56Hollywood

Yup, having Kato would have solved alot of problems this year. Think of how many games we would have won with Killer Kato on the field. There goes our future with Kato. Players like him only come around once and a while. It is so hard to find people who can run down the field and catch the ball on the one yard line.

I think there are bigger problems for the FO other than keeping special teams studs coming off a major injury.

Just curious...have you watched our special teams play this year?

Originally posted by Larry Brown #43

We just released Kato, so there's your answer.

Actually, I think the player has to agree to an injury settlement in order to do that. I'm no expert on the CBA, but there may be some kind of distinction with veterans who have vested status (which Kato does not have yet). What I think we could/should have done was left Barker on the roster and cut Vickers or some other player. We'd be short a player this year, but I think the FO figured since Kato cleared waivers while he was healthy, it'd be safe to do it again. It was a calculated risk that blew up in their face

<<I completely agree MRMADD, but Bauman is not the reason. It's such a dumb move that I bet the front office couldn't even intelligently rationalize it if given an opportunity.>> Larry

It's hilarious that they haven't even TRIED to rationalize. I haven't seen anything written that says, "We're about to restructure Jansen's deal and we needed the $500K" or something. Anything, really.

It justs seems incredibly shortsighted and dumb. Who the hell is running the show over there? I guess they figured because Kato cleared waivers in the offseason, that he'd clear again. Good God they're dumb.

And these are the guys who will be drafting for us in the spring. And renegotiating Jansen, etc. And resigned Gardener. And finding free agents to fill our many holes. We're screwed.

kato was one of our future bright stars. i enjoyed the hell out of watching him, and he was one of the main reasons that i have been excited about our future. this just makes me sick that we cut the guy. watch him come back and haunt us big time.

THIS IS THE DUMBEST FRICKEN THREAD I HAVE READ IN A VERY LONG TIME. AND I AM NOW DUMBER FOR HAVING READ IT. THANKS A LOT.

There is a simple explanation for this.

Kato was placed on IR and was ineligible to play for us in 2002 no matter what the scenario.

You cannot waive an injured player without coming to an injury settlement, which would be some portion of what the player stood to earn by remaining on the active roster.

The team kept Kato on IR until he healed, allowing him to earn his weekly salary under the terms of his one year contract rather than walk with a smaller injury settlement. Once healed, and eligible to pass a physical for another team, they released him so he could play with someone else this year. Since he is slated to be an unrestricted free agent, his status with the team would be no different had we kept him on IR for the rest of the season.

He'll still be a UFA this offseason. We've just given him four games to display his talents to note on the open market. If another team comes calling with a great deal, then we lose out on a decent special teamer and he wins in the end. If not (and I would expect no one will pay him more than the minimum), Kato should remember that we gave him a shot to get some playing time if we come calling with a contract offer.

Originally posted by The Angry Buddha

THIS IS THE DUMBEST FRICKEN THREAD I HAVE READ IN A VERY LONG TIME. AND I AM NOW DUMBER FOR HAVING READ IT. THANKS A LOT.

There is a simple explanation for this.

Kato was placed on IR and was ineligible to play for us in 2002 no matter what the scenario.

You cannot waive an injured player without coming to an injury settlement, which would be some portion of what the player stood to earn by remaining on the active roster.

The team kept Kato on IR until he healed, allowing him to earn his weekly salary under the terms of his one year contract rather than walk with a smaller injury settlement. Once healed, and eligible to pass a physical for another team, they released him so he could play with someone else this year. Since he is slated to be an unrestricted free agent, his status with the team would be no different had we kept him on IR for the rest of the season.

He'll still be a UFA this offseason. We've just given him four games to display his talents to note on the open market. If another team comes calling with a great deal, then we lose out on a decent special teamer and he wins in the end. If not (and I would expect no one will pay him more than the minimum), Kato should remember that we gave him a shot to get some playing time if we come calling with a contract offer.

Yes, but what concerns me is that the Giants have already signed him, and he may be in uniform against us on Sunday. And I would imagine that if he really shines brightly for them the rest of the way, they may lock him up before we even have a chance to re-sign him. We had no need to let him show his skills...we already knew what he could do. We should have kept him right where he was. If he downs a kick inside the 5 against us, I'll be slightly pissed.

the fact remains that Serwanga is like the #44 player on this team when healthy. He is a special teams cover guy. He tends to get injured. It happened when he was with the Patriots too.

I think some people are becoming too upset at losing a guy that wasn't contributing to begin with. It's not like we lost someone we counted on for our last victory.

The fact Serwanga is in a Giants uniform carries enough weight for us all to be scared to death? :laugh:

There goes the chance for a win :rolleyes:

Originally posted by jaydean

kato was one of our future bright stars. i enjoyed the hell out of watching him, and he was one of the main reasons that i have been excited about our future. this just makes me sick that we cut the guy. watch him come back and haunt us big time.

Are you f'ing serious? You guys are crazy! Kato played all of 6 games for us last year, none at the cornerback position (because he is absolutely awful at CB, which is why he has been cut multiple times).

Originally posted by bulldog

the fact remains that Serwanga is like the #44 player on this team when healthy. He is a special teams cover guy. He tends to get injured. It happened when he was with the Patriots too.

I think some people are becoming too upset at losing a guy that wasn't contributing to begin with. It's not like we lost someone we counted on for our last victory.

The fact Serwanga is in a Giants uniform carries enough weight for us all to be scared to death? :laugh:

There goes the chance for a win :rolleyes:

It just seems like strange timing to be letting him go now. We never had to put him on IR in the first place, since he was expected to be ready to play by midseason. If we were so frustrated with his injuries, we should have let him go back in training camp. I just think this move is one more indication of a clueless front office. With our wretched special teams play, we should have kept this guy right there on IR and re-signed him before he could sign elsewhere. I know he's not a starting or even NFL-caliber CB, but our special teams play has been painful to watch, and he made a huge difference for us last year on special teams.

It just seems like strange timing to be letting him go now. We never had to put him on IR in the first place, since he was expected to be ready to play by midseason. If we were so frustrated with his injuries, we should have let him go back in training camp. I just think this move is one more indication of a clueless front office. With our wretched special teams play, we should have kept this guy right there on IR and re-signed him before he could sign elsewhere. I know he's not a starting or even NFL-caliber CB, but our special teams play has been painful to watch, and he made a huge difference for us last year on special teams.

:doh:

Are you saying we should have kept an injured special teams cover guy on the roster? Maybe we should have cut Champ when he was only a cb and not helping on special teams.

Originally posted by 52RavenRay

Are you saying we should have kept an injured special teams cover guy on the roster? Maybe we should have cut Champ when he was only a cb and not helping on special teams.

No, but why release him at this point, only to let the Giants pick him up? Obviously we'd have the inside track on re-signing him for next year if he's in the fold with us, rather than on the Giants roster for the rest of the year. What if the Giants sign him to an extension 3 weeks from now? We'd be SOL. We just handed him to the team we're playing in 3 days. :doh: I think the ideal way to handle the situation would be to keep Kato on IR for the remainder of the year, and then re-sign him and invite him to training camp 2003. If he doesn't work out in training camp next year, you let him go and lose nothing.

Atta boy Buddha. Some poster on here seem to have acquired the lemming disease, all running off the same cliff.

Here's another thought, maybe Serwanga asked to be released so he could get some PT this year. Maybe we did the player a favour. He was a good special team guy no doubt last year, but PLEASE you all are overrating the guy. He only played a few games and made a few plays.

Archived