Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Kato Serwanga picked up off waivers.

Rat_Boy

Originally posted by TennesseeCarl

I thought he was injured. WTF? We waited until he was healthy and then cut him?

Once on IR, he couldn't be activated by us. Only kept on IR or cut when healthy.

My guess is that the team ran out of salary cap room, and with the recent movements onto IR and player acquisitions (kicker, punter), thought they could save a few dollars of cap room by cutting Serwanga.

Of course, if the team had cut Vickers instead of Tucker earlier, they'd still have cap room. Victory: Helton.

I was giving the front office the benefit of the doubt on releasing Serwanga until I saw this. What the hell were they thinking? Kato was our best special teams player when he was healthy. Since he was on IR, I don't believe we would have been allowed to activate him this season, whether he was healthy or not. But why hand him over to the Giants? Why not wait until he gets healthy and then resign him for next year? This is really shocking. :doh:

Originally posted by Atlanta Skins Fan

My guess is that the team ran out of salary cap room, and with the recent movements onto IR and player acquisitions (kicker, punter), thought they could save a few dollars of cap room by cutting Serwanga.

If our cap situation is so bad that we had to cut Serwanga, then we've got even bigger problems than I thought.

Of course, if the team had cut Vickers instead of Tucker earlier, they'd still have cap room. Victory: Helton.

And I suspect Helton secretly told Wuerffel to throw REALLY soft passes on purpose so that stone hands Gardner would be able to catch them. It all makes sense now. :rolleyes:

That cannot be right. Serwanga makes $525K -- that's peanuts. This is just more evidence that our front office is totally clueless. You carry a guy on IR all year because he's one of your best special teams player when healthy, and then you effectively release him when he gets healthy? Pure stupidity.

This was NOT done to clear cap room. Can't be. We can't be so hard-up for cap room that we're now mortgaging the future to win meaningless games this year, can we?

Originally posted by Henry

And I suspect Helton secretly told Wuerffel to throw REALLY soft passes on purpose so that stone hands Gardner would be able to catch them. It all makes sense now. :rolleyes:

Make fun of it if you want.

If we'd had Ray Brown and Ross Tucker this year instead of Stai and Vickers, we'd save around $500K cap room. That's an entire player's worth of salary, and it happens to be what Serwanga made.

Instead, we kept two inferior players and made a bad cap situation worse.

Not so funny anymore, is it?

Originally posted by Atlanta Skins Fan

Make fun of it if you want.

If we'd had Ray Brown and Ross Tucker this year instead of Stai and Vickers, we'd save around $500K cap room. That's an entire player's worth of salary, and it happens to be what Serwanga made.

Instead, we kept two inferior players and made a bad cap situation worse.

Not so funny anymore, is it?

:doh:

And if McCants was any good we wouldn't have needed to sign Willie Jackson, which would have saved us about that much too.

It's still pretty funny.

I sure hope Spurrier is asked point blank on his radio show or on TV what the hell the thought process was behind releasing Serwanga now. Not that it was necessarily his decision, but he's the only one with a radio show. I have yet to see or hear a logical rationale for releasing Kato. I remember thinking it was strange that we put him on IR in the first place, since he was supposed to be ready to play by mid-season. But releasing him now that he's healthy seems to be compounding the blunder. Snyder/front office apologists, what say you?

Bauman is the reason Kato was given the axe. Bau has had great games on special teams and he took over the #3 spot from the immortal DG. Kato is good on special teams but he can't play cb.

BTW, WTF happened to Stai? What a waste of a fifth rounder. Is he injured or something? Cut his loser and save 1.2 mill next year.

Originally posted by 56Hollywood

Bauman is the reason Kato was given the axe. Bau has had great games on special teams and he took over the #3 spot from the immortal DG. Kato is good on special teams but he can't play cb.

That argument makes no sense. Kato never played CB for us anyway...he was strictly a special teams ace. And with Bauman's playing time increasing on defense, his special teams duties are likely to decrease. Besides, with our atrocious special teams play, you can't have too many good special teamers. I'm still waiting for someone to logically explain this move to me.

Bauman is the reason? What? Suddenly we don't need a special teams stud? If that's true, God that's dumb.

I really believe that if you win two out of three (offense, defense, and special teams), you win. We always seem to forfeit special teams, so we have to win on both offense and defense. It just gets tiring.

I remember Kato diving to down a ball on the one yard line in kick coverage. That's the kind of play that tips the field position game in your advantage.

And now we don't need him? This is retarded.

Originally posted by MRMADD

Bauman is the reason? What? Suddenly we don't need a special teams stud? If that's true, God that's dumb.

I really believe that if you win two out of three (offense, defense, and special teams), you win. We always seem to forfeit special teams, so we have to win on both offense and defense. It just gets tiring.

I remember Kato diving to down a ball on the one yard line in kick coverage. That's the kind of play that tips the field position game in your advantage.

And now we don't need him? This is retarded.

I completely agree MRMADD, but Bauman is not the reason. It's such a dumb move that I bet the front office couldn't even intelligently rationalize it if given an opportunity.

Guys,

It had nothing to do w/ the CAP- I think it's about how many guys you're allowed on the roster and on injured reserve. We had to cut somebody to make room for a new punter.

This will come back to haunt us. Losing Kato was one of the main reasons our coverage tanked this year.

Originally posted by riggo-toni

Guys,

It had nothing to do w/ the CAP- I think it's about how many guys you're allowed on the roster and on injured reserve. We had to cut somebody to make room for a new punter.

This will come back to haunt us. Losing Kato was one of the main reasons our coverage tanked this year.

So then why did we put Barker on IR? Obviously Serwanga has more long-term benefit to us than Barker does. I doubt if Barker will even be here next year.

I think it's about how many guys you're allowed on the roster and on injured reserve. We had to cut somebody to make room for a new punter.
If this is the case, then why not cut Dotson who's career is likely over?

I don't care what the reason is, it was a stupid effing move by our stupid effing front office.

Originally posted by Rat_Boy

If this is the case, then why not cut Dotson who's career is likely over?

I don't care what the reason is, it was a stupid effing move by our stupid effing front office.

Exactly. We could have cut Dotson, we could have released Barker rather than putting him on IR... there's any number of things we could have done. Our front office is a joke. Still waiting for someone to adequately defend the FO on this one...

Yup, having Kato would have solved alot of problems this year. Think of how many games we would have won with Killer Kato on the field. There goes our future with Kato. Players like him only come around once and a while. It is so hard to find people who can run down the field and catch the ball on the one yard line.

I think there are bigger problems for the FO other than keeping special teams studs coming off a major injury.

Archived