Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Could Briggs Trade Lead to Jared Allen?

e16bball

what is with you guys? have you adopted the FO's mentality that draft picks are used to trade for players as opposed to actually DRAFTING your own. We don't even need briggs; we traded up for rocky. we should atleast give him a chance before we start to replace him with a luxury item like briggs. we need to address our actual NEEDS. You all just seem to love sexy SEXY big name players

I think your in the minority about loving SEXY big names. I think we like young proven stars, probowlers, etc. Over unknown draft picks, the draft is more like the lottery, but free agency is a proven team changer. Just look at were our " CORE " redskins derived from w/ Gibbs so far.

Your basically saying that Portis, Washington, Moss, ARE, R. Thomas, aren't worth it. I admit we need a good draft and FA to improve, and that is still possible b/c so far FA has been a GREAT thing for our team during the recent Gibbs era. Before Gibbs we were picking up OLD STARs, whats so bad about getting New Younger STARS that are in there prime?

I think your in the minority about loving SEXY big names. I think we like young proven stars, probowlers, etc. Over unknown draft picks, the draft is more like the lottery, but free agency is a proven team changer. Just look at were our " CORE " redskins derived from w/ Gibbs so far.

Your basically saying that Portis, Washington, Moss, ARE, R. Thomas, aren't worth it. I admit we need a good draft and FA to improve, and that is still possible b/c so far FA has been a GREAT thing for our team during the recent Gibbs era. Before Gibbs we were picking up OLD STARs, whats so bad about getting New STARS that are in there prime?

The players you listed were essentialy the building blocks for the gibbs 2 era but we are no longer at the transition stage. this is joe's third season in his second stint, he doesn't need players like briggs to rebuild the franchise from the ground up. We were a playoff team two years ago, the offense showed promise last season - we need to address our needs and if we do so we should be able to compete next season. But briggs is not a need and the replacement between him and rocky doesn't provide enough of an overall improvement to overcome our deficiencies on dline.

Hmmm... that's actually kind of interesting. Probably a stretch, but I like where your head's at.

I don't think it is that much of a stretch. I actually started thinking about a similar senario when the talk was we were trading down with Denver. I heard Pat Kirwin on Sirius radio say that the Chiefs could be ripe for the picking because of the salary cap. And that a team could pt together a poison pill type deal that they could not match. It also explains why the Redskins want to do a deal now as opposed to waiting until draft day.

The players you listed were essentialy the building blocks for the gibbs 2 era but we are no longer at the transition stage. this is joe's third season in his second stint, he doesn't need players like briggs to rebuild the franchise from the ground up. We were a playoff team two years ago, the offense showed promise last season - we need to address our needs and if we do so we should be able to compete next season. But briggs is not a need and the replacement between him and rocky doesn't provide enough of an overall improvement to overcome our deficiencies on dline.

Sorry we just agree to disagree about Briggs, although you do make good points about addressing needs. I belive our #1 need is more depth and better play at the D-line which can be addressed in the draft and via FA, and #2 the past 2 years we HAVE NOT had any good Weakside linebacker play, so Briggs would fill that void as well. I just hope we address our needs, whether through the draft a via FA, both have been proven to work.

I still think about what Smoot said in his return to Washington. " All I know is when I played here we were a top Defense ". That had me pumped long before this draft talk, so in my mind anything we do in the draft and FA NOW is just added fuel. And thats the attitude we need back for this team. :cheers:

I fully understand our FO's way of thinking. Free agents are proven. There's film you can watch on these guys performing in the NFL. Ide much rather give big money to someone who's proven themselves, wouldnt you?

If the Redskins succeed, people would call it genius. Since it hasnt proved successful, though, everyone will second guess the move. IMO we arent that far off from being successful and being called genius.

edit: I also understand that GW likes the DL to contain the OL while others take care of business. So maybe he's either content with our DL or doesn't need pro bowlers at that position for his system?

I've been thinking a lot about this Lance Briggs trade, and how it possibly makes sense from our perspective.

So, I started wondering why we would want the #31 pick. Is there a player we specifically like there? Or is it something else. And then I had an interesting thought.

The Redskins know there is a 1st round tender on Kansas City DE Jared Allen. If they try to sign him, then, they'll have to give the Chiefs their 1st round pick, which would of course be #6.

If they were to trade down in the draft, however, and pick up a later 1st round pick (like, say, I don't know, maybe #31). they could sign Allen and surrender only THAT pick. This would be a reason why we would actually sort of prefer having the #31 to having the #6.

So, what if we traded #6 for Lance Briggs and Jared Allen. Would that be a good trade?

Have i missed something here or did the cap go up to 200 million for the Skins.I mean we all joke about cap ****,but howe can the Skins even pull this one off.They are already talking about giving Briggs 20 million guaranteed.So how we going to pay Allen.I mean one of our biggest concerns is Cooley.I am starting to wonder if we are just going to let him go.:doh:

Have i missed something here or did the cap go up to 200 million for the Skins.I mean we all joke about cap ****,but howe can the Skins even pull this one off.They are already talking about giving Briggs 20 million guaranteed.So how we going to pay Allen.I mean one of our biggest concerns is Cooley.I am starting to wonder if we are just going to let him go.:doh:

Well lets consider who we could afford to cut? Who would restructure? Where there's a will there's a way, especially with the Redskins. Of course, no one gives our FO credit for that.

:cheers:

Well lets consider who we could afford to cut? Who would restructure? Where there's a will there's a way, especially with the Redskins. Of course, no one gives our FO credit for that.

No thats one thing i give our FO credit for all the time.The only thing is you can only restructure and cut so many players.You soon run into players that are core players.That are also good players like maybe Cooley.Here's a idea the players we draft, if they end up being good players.We might want to keep them and give them some of this money that we throw around to everyone else.I am starting to realize that our FO is good for only one thing and thats moving money around.Other than that this teams FO just flat our blows.

edit:

If this situation were to happen:

could we afford to lose K. Campbell? D. Evans? Wynn? Bryant? Sykes?

What would this save us?

But it worked in Madden. Lol jk.

I think its more likely we get Briggs, trade our 31st pick for a 2nd round and maybe 3rd or 4th round pick, and still get a few good D-lineman via FA. It really just comes down to what teams are high on our 6th pick above us or below us, and what helps us to get the players we have targeted. It could be in the 2nd round that we pick up some good talent, if we are willing to trade down that far.

I don't know how good he is but in 05 we made this dude look like Reggie White.

Awww man, I remember that game. He KILLED us. I cant remember his stats for that game, but it definetly was the best game of his career. He had more then a couple of sacks, like 2 forced fumbles, an INT. It was something rediculous like that. :doh:

I still think about what Smoot said in his return to Washington. " All I know is when I played here we were a top Defense ". That had me pumped long before this draft talk, so in my mind anything we do in the draft and FA NOW is just added fuel. And thats the attitude we need back for this team. :cheers:

Definetly, and also, we need a NASTY attitude with our defense. Someone that will get our DEFENSE AMPED DA F--K UP OUT THERE ON THE FIELD!!!!!!!!! We need somebody that will leave RBs with snot bubbles in there nose. Our LB core is not as great as everyone may think. I think Briggs would definetly bring some extra nastiness to our team. Also, Jared is a nasty player like that to.

Jarred Allen is a walking, drinking DUI that will probably be suspended for the first 4 games of the season for his 2nd DUI.

NO THANKS.

I hadn't heard about a suspension. I knew he had a 2nd DUI.

As for Allen's character, I found this article:

http://isubengals.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/010605aaa.html

He sounds a lot like John Riggins to me, to be honest. I wasn't alive when Riggins was playing for the 'Skins, but doesn't that attitude referred to in the article have a lot of a Riggins feel? And even a "Hogs" feel?

Anyway, I guess I'm just trying to make the best out of an odd situation. If you ask me, adding two Pro-Bowl level players 26 and younger is a good deal for #6, questionable character be damned.

Most like the deal because they know Jared Allen is the real deal. He would instantly make the line formidable. You can question the off the field stuff, but doubting whether or not he is worth a first round pick is ridiculous IMO.

The only thing is that I think it would also cost us more than that - perhaps even quite a bit more unfortunately so I doubt it is going to happen. Allen made Chris Samuels look like a ***** the last time the Chiefs and Skins locked horns if I recall correctly.

its not a bad thought but NOO!!! People are always complaing that we dont build through the draft. Then why do we make these stupid posts. If this deal actually happened then we wouldnt have a pick until the 5th round. doesnt that sound like a great draft experience.

I've been thinking a lot about this Lance Briggs trade, and how it possibly makes sense from our perspective.

So, I started wondering why we would want the #31 pick. Is there a player we specifically like there? Or is it something else. And then I had an interesting thought.

The Redskins know there is a 1st round tender on Kansas City DE Jared Allen. If they try to sign him, then, they'll have to give the Chiefs their 1st round pick, which would of course be #6.

If they were to trade down in the draft, however, and pick up a later 1st round pick (like, say, I don't know, maybe #31). they could sign Allen and surrender only THAT pick. This would be a reason why we would actually sort of prefer having the #31 to having the #6.

So, what if we traded #6 for Lance Briggs and Jared Allen. Would that be a good trade?

There aren't words I could use to describe what I feel towards this idea, so I will use smileys.

:doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:

I just can't figure out how we can afford it. I gave up trying. Yes we're always in cap hell, but when will it catch up with us?

We're standing right now at $124,500,000 tied up for 2008. With a projected cap of about $116,000,000. (Estimated) We'll have to do this all over again. I know we're used to it, but we'll be cutting and restructuring until it bites us in the azz. I am sure we don't ever want to hear "With the 1st pick in the draft The Washington Redskins select........." That scenario will happen only if we don't trade that pick the previous year. And now those 2 cases together would suck, finishing last but having no pick. Who's the lucky team that would benefit from that?

Congratulations on a GREAT thread!

We haven't had to many new ideas around here - well done. Well thought out, imaginative and it has the unique quality of actually being FEASIBLE!!! :applause: :notworthy

Archived