Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Columbo resigns with Cowboys

Jeremiah_Johnson

Cowboys re-sign Colombo to two-year, $7M deal

By John Clayton

ESPN.com

A week after the Cowboys paid more than $49 million to add Leonard Davis to the right side of their defensive line, the Cowboys filled out the rest of the right side by re-signing right tackle Marc Colombo.

Colombo received a two-year, $7 million deal that included a $4 million signing bonus. The Jets were among other teams pursuing the former Bears No. 1 draft choice, but Colomboopted to stay with the Cowboys.

With Colombo under contract, Davis can now concentrate on playing right guard. Columbo's re-signing was considered a top priority of Cowboys owner Jerry Jones. He re-signed center Andre Gurode before the start of free agency and then added Davis last week. The return of Colombo ends any uncertainty about the offensive line.

I guess this means that the Cowboys signed Davis to replace Rivera at RG. I don't agree with the amount of money they spent on Davis, but he will be a huge upgrade over Rivera.

I don't know about that last line, tnough. I still am a little uncertain about the offensive line. But at least they upgraded it at its weakest position.

Columbo could've been the brightest spot on that line last year. People were collectively holding thier breath until he was signed. No matter what color goggles you wear, silver, burgandy, green, or blue, most people would be able to admit that on paper at least the right side of dallas' line just got alot better.

It hurts me to say this, but good job Cowboys. Colombo played very well last year, and I doubted whether they were going to get a deal done to bring him back. I thought Davis would ultimately be a replacement for Colombo, but that will not be the case.

I thought Davis would ultimately be a replacement for Colombo, but that will not be the case.

I think they looked at Davis as a guy who could play either tackle spot if needed. Flozell is probably done after this season and Davis may wind up taking over and if so, then you've got a guy that's getting paid more what left tackles typically make (or will make in a year).

YAKUZA

I think they looked at Davis as a guy who could play either tackle spot if needed. Flozell is probably done after this season and Davis may wind up taking over and if so, then you've got a guy that's getting paid more what left tackles typically make (or will make in a year).

YAKUZA

The dallas oline should be good next year if adams regains his form. However if adams doesn't and is later (next year or after) replaced by Davis that is step sideways imo not up. I would of tried to put adams at LG just because it is more similar to LT than RG and him beside flozell would be disgusting in the run game. Great move resigning columbo.

Good move by brokeback nation. I was hoping they wouldnt sign him and had to start Davis at RT.

Exactly why this move is bigger than just maintaining the consistency at RT.

We now have signed a lineman who can play RT, but whose best spot is guard.

Columbo's inability to command big money tells you what the NFL thinks of the puke's starting right tackle...

$3.5 million a year isnt small money. and getting a $4 million signing bonus on a 2 year contract is not small either. but again the hes a cowboys so he sucks attitude drops in. solid right tackle who gave up like 2-3 sacks all of last year.

Columbo's inability to command big money tells you what the NFL thinks of the puke's starting right tackle...

What a surprise.

tr1 and bubba the lone Skins fans that think this wasnt a good move.

I wouldve never guessed.

Keep your heads in the sand.

Check the Stinchcomb deal with New Orleans.

Now, back to reality. Well done Jerry. :)

They're leery of a guy one season removed from rehabbing a serious knee injury?

All it tells you is that no one was willing to sign Colombo to a 5-year deal, which is why he didn't re-sign in Dallas after the original contract offer. The rumor is that Colombo will be extended with a big contract if he turns in another good season proving that 2006 wasn't a fluke.

$3.5 million a year isnt small money. and getting a $4 million signing bonus on a 2 year contract is not small either. but again the hes a cowboys so he sucks attitude drops in. solid right tackle who gave up like 2-3 sacks all of last year.

And he was a free agent TACKLE, not guard. TACKLES are at a permium in the NFL, and the NFL took a pass on Columbo. Do you have any idea as to why? He certainly could have come cheap for a starting NFL tackle, but everyone passed on him. :doh:

With Davis, that side of your line will be a disaster...

And he was a free agent TACKLE, not guard. TACKLES are at a permium in the NFL, and the NFL took a pass on Columbo. Do you have any idea as to why? He certainly could have come cheap for a starting NFL tackle, but everyone passed on him. :doh:

With Davis, that side of your line will be a disaster...

Do you know how well he did last year ? I'm just wondering.

Archived