Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

We shouldn't stay at 6 or trade with Denver...Here's why

mikalax2

It seems like every post out there right now has to do with the denver trade, and if we should do it or stay at 6.

People who want to stay at 6 say we need an impact player right away, while the people who want to trade want to get depth and hope to land a gem with the 21st pick.

Well I honestly would not mind either (hoping we make the correct draft moves) but I think our best option is trading down no later than # 15 and picking up a 2nd or a 3rd & 4th.

This is why...

I'm bored at work so I decided to look into the defensive rookie of the year (because they are obviously immediate impact players) over the past couple yrs and see where they are drafted, or if there were any trends.

This is what I found

YR/Name/Pos./Team/defensive player draft #/ overall draft #

1999 - Jevon Kearse, DE Tennessee - 5 - 16

2000 - Brian Urlacher, LB Chicago - 4 - 9

2001 - Kendrell Bell, LB Pittsburgh - 19 - 39

2002 - Julius Peppers, DE Carolina - 1 - 2

2003 - Terrell Suggs, LB Baltimore - 5 - 10

2004 - Jonathan Vilma, LB NY Jets - 4 - 12

2005 - Shawne Merriman, LB San Diego - 5 - 12

2006 - DeMeco Ryans, LB Houston - 19 - 33

Now what I picked up from this:

In the past 8 drafts only once did one of the first 3 defensive players picked end up being the defensive rookie of the year. Obviously many still played great, but many also flopped. I think that the first couple defensive picks are so often chosen because of all the hype and potential that a bunch of them flop. That is why I am sceptical of the big 3 this year in Adams, Anderson, and Branch.

I am also afraid that if we make the denver trade that we will be just a little to far to pick up the gem of the draft. I like the idea of picking up depth, but I still think we do need the immediate impact on the DL.

That is why I think the best plan is to trade down between 6-15, and take Okoye or Carraker, while picking up another pick or two.

Who knows, the draft is a crap shoot, but thats my 2 cents.

Sorry for the long post...

HAIL!!

I like your line of thinking...:cheers:

I'm pretty high on this Okoye kid, from what I have seen of him and read about him. Only 19 years old and smart beyond his years and peers. I think this kid will only continue to get better in the NFL due to what appears to be an outstanding work ethic to go along with all of his physical and mental gifts.

I dont know too much about Carraker but from what I can glean from what others are saying about him is that he is the type of player who also has some upside and should only get better.

It will be tough for the Skins to address all of their needs this offseason but trading down is one cost-effective way for this team to do it. I hope they do trade down and land one of these guys while snatching up another pick or two. I think the Skins will be very active on day one of the draft.

:point2sky

Yeah I just don't trust Denver's modus operendi anymore. Their FO splurges as much, if not more, than we do and they NEVER get called out for it by the mediots.

This is the first time in a few years they've been this active in FA, but yeah, it was nice a few years ago when they were consistently making a lot of signings to have the Skins there to take the attention away from them.

I wonder what the front office will do with next year draft pick's this year??? Trade down and get picks for Lance Briggs?? They have some players in mind to use draft picks on could it be Randy Moss? They love veteran players.Whoever has stock piled defensive lineman over the years will be a suitor.Maybe NE,CHI,JETS,JAX,SEA,I hope they don't try to deal with Denver.

I see many misguided people who think whoever we select with the 6th pick will instantly be a star and upgrade our D. I would rather BUILD a team than try to collect superstars. Someone tell me that colts D is loaded with talent, what they do have is young players they drafted who have played and learned together.

Get all the picks we can acquire through the first 3 rounds, use them all on Dline and lb and I promise the impact of the multiple picks will be far greater than that of some overrated dlinemen.

It seems like every post out there right now has to do with the denver trade, and if we should do it or stay at 6.

People who want to stay at 6 say we need an impact player right away, while the people who want to trade want to get depth and hope to land a gem with the 21st pick.

Well I honestly would not mind either (hoping we make the correct draft moves) but I think our best option is trading down no later than # 15 and picking up a 2nd or a 3rd & 4th.

This is why...

I'm bored at work so I decided to look into the defensive rookie of the year (because they are obviously immediate impact players) over the past couple yrs and see where they are drafted, or if there were any trends.

This is what I found

YR/Name/Pos./Team/defensive player draft #/ overall draft #

1999 - Jevon Kearse, DE Tennessee - 5 - 16

2000 - Brian Urlacher, LB Chicago - 4 - 9

2001 - Kendrell Bell, LB Pittsburgh - 19 - 39

2002 - Julius Peppers, DE Carolina - 1 - 2

2003 - Terrell Suggs, LB Baltimore - 5 - 10

2004 - Jonathan Vilma, LB NY Jets - 4 - 12

2005 - Shawne Merriman, LB San Diego - 5 - 12

2006 - DeMeco Ryans, LB Houston - 19 - 33

Now what I picked up from this:

In the past 8 drafts only once did one of the first 3 defensive players picked end up being the defensive rookie of the year. Obviously many still played great, but many also flopped. I think that the first couple defensive picks are so often chosen because of all the hype and potential that a bunch of them flop. That is why I am sceptical of the big 3 this year in Adams, Anderson, and Branch.

I am also afraid that if we make the denver trade that we will be just a little to far to pick up the gem of the draft. I like the idea of picking up depth, but I still think we do need the immediate impact on the DL.

That is why I think the best plan is to trade down between 6-15, and take Okoye or Carraker, while picking up another pick or two.

Who knows, the draft is a crap shoot, but thats my 2 cents.

Sorry for the long post...

HAIL!!

so you don't think that the teams drafting in the top also being the worst in the league have anything to do with your data? hard to shine when the rest of the team *ucks!

I see many misguided people who think whoever we select with the 6th pick will instantly be a star and upgrade our D. I would rather BUILD a team than try to collect superstars. Someone tell me that colts D is loaded with talent, what they do have is young players they drafted who have played and learned together.

Get all the picks we can acquire through the first 3 rounds, use them all on Dline and lb and I promise the impact of the multiple picks will be far greater than that of some overrated dlinemen.

no.no.no.

you draft the one thing this defense (beyond ST) is entirely bereft of: athletic talent. and that comes by drafting higher than lower. the lack of athletic talent (the demarcus wares of the world) is the real/core problem.

Great analysis - I agree with you 100%. I would like to stay in the Top 15 so we can grab someone like an Adam Carriker or Amboyle Okoyle.

The DT, from The University of LOUISVILLE, was born: Amobi OKOYE - (and NOT: 'Amboyle Okoyle'?!?). Please make a sincere attempt to cite his (and ALL Other Players, Coaches, etc.) name(s) CORRECTLY. We AFRICANS are just as 'proud'of OUR Names as ANYONE-Else. Thank you. :doh: :cheers: :2cents:

Archived