Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Seahawks Sign Deon Grant

jimster

Seahawks, Grant agree to six-year, $30M dealBy John Clayton

ESPN.com

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2792518&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines

Like any good safety, Deon Grant needed to have the right type of timing and anticipation.

The Jaguars safety traveled to Seattle after they went one for three in the big free agent sweepstakes, landing defensive end Patrick Kerney but losing guard Kris Dielman and tight end Daniel Graham. Unwilling to lose Grant to the New York Giants or other teams, the Seahawks stepped up and made Grant the third highest paid safety in football, giving him a six-year deal in excess of $30 million a year.

To get the deal done, they gave him a signing bonus that topped the $11.1 million to Roy Williams of the Dallas Cowboys. Though the specifics weren't available, Grant is believed to received the biggest signing bonus ever given to an NFL safety.

Grant flew to Seattle Thursday night to sign the deal along with his agent, Mitch Frankel.

Ravens safety Ed Reed, who signed a seven-year, $44,4 million contract, and Roy Williams of the Cowboys, who has a five-year, $30.1 million deal, are the league's highest paid safeties. Grant topped the recent contract signed by Michael Lewis. Lewis got a six-year, $30 million contract to leave the Eagles and go to the 49ers.

I know this has been said a million time this offseason, but WTF? Deon Grant is a good player, but the highest paid safety in the league? I think not.

I so not think the Seahawks are spending wisely. This and the Kerney signings are a little questionable to me. Both good players, but paying them too much.

Seahawks, Grant agree to six-year, $30M dealBy John Clayton

ESPN.com

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2792518&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines

Like any good safety, Deon Grant needed to have the right type of timing and anticipation.

The Jaguars safety traveled to Seattle after they went one for three in the big free agent sweepstakes, landing defensive end Patrick Kerney but losing guard Kris Dielman and tight end Daniel Graham. Unwilling to lose Grant to the New York Giants or other teams, the Seahawks stepped up and made Grant the third highest paid safety in football, giving him a six-year deal in excess of $30 million a year.

To get the deal done, they gave him a signing bonus that topped the $11.1 million to Roy Williams of the Dallas Cowboys. Though the specifics weren't available, Grant is believed to received the biggest signing bonus ever given to an NFL safety.

Grant flew to Seattle Thursday night to sign the deal along with his agent, Mitch Frankel.

Ravens safety Ed Reed, who signed a seven-year, $44,4 million contract, and Roy Williams of the Cowboys, who has a five-year, $30.1 million deal, are the league's highest paid safeties. Grant topped the recent contract signed by Michael Lewis. Lewis got a six-year, $30 million contract to leave the Eagles and go to the 49ers.

Wait then why does everyone keep saying we made AA the highest paid safety??

"giving him a six-year deal in excess of $30 million a year".

....I am assuming this is a typo but wow $30 milion a year I know FA contracts are getting out of hand....

One thing does get me though if the Skins keep not spending like this year then other fans through out the NFL are going to start calling us cheap.

Archived