Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Our defensive failings last year

SkinsFanOMG

I have seen alot of threads about how bad our defense was last year in the past few months. One thing that no one has ever talked about was Arrington giving our defensive playbook to the Giants. Woudnt it be in the Giants vested interest for us to fail last year? If I were a coach of the giants I would have given our playbook to our oponents or at least made it available if the other teams wanted it. Regardless of our injuries we have been a top tier defense since Greg Williams came around and to drop to the 32nd ranked defense in one year just doesnt make much sense. Even with our lack of pass rush it really seemed like we were totally exposed and hopefully GW takes some time this offseason to adjust his plays as we know at least the Giants know all of our plays.

Yeah it is on GW to adapt to the situation and I do agree that he will probably get it right again this year. I just think it was hard for him to adapt the playbook last year especially having our best corner out for most of the season. Im intrigued to see his changes this year.

Also, im really not bringing up a conspiracy theory, just making a logical connection from the info that was given. The giants had our playbook, want us to lose and know that giving it to other teams would probably help that. Wouldnt you give it up to anyone who wanted it?

As often as coaches move from team to team and inherit and adapt each others systems, even if this really happened (which I doubt), I just don't see it having a huge effect.

Injuries were the primary reason for our D's failings last year. That and lack of quality depth to step up while starters were injured.

:applause:

The Giants having our playbook (if they did or not) didn't make us miss tackles, get burnt in coverage, be constantly injured, drop interceptions, or fail to get pressure on blitzes.

:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

I am so glad he is gone!Tikis Hi-Lite reel last year was almost always against us.You know your bad when all the hi-lites of other teams offenses making big plays is always against us.How did we go from a top tier D to Piss Poor in the matter of ! year.

Our defensive play calling, as well as most of our offensive play calling, was no secret. If we're ahead, we blitz on third down. If we're behind, we don't. On offense, run, run, pass, punt. Sometimes brute force worked later in the season and even when they knew a run was coming, they couldn't stop us. But it would work even better if the other team had to guess.

Our problem on defense last year, in addiiton to predictability, was a lack of a pass rush and no depth at cornerback. With Springs in and healthy, we looked good sometimes. With him gone, it was a different team. There was little or no collapse of the opponent's pocket (meaning no push by the defensive tackles) and the defensive ends struggled to make an impact, although improvement could be seen toward the end of the season.

But publishing the palybook was not the source of the problem.

I have seen alot of threads about how bad our defense was last year in the past few months. One thing that no one has ever talked about was Arrington giving our defensive playbook to the Giants. Woudnt it be in the Giants vested interest for us to fail last year? If I were a coach of the giants I would have given our playbook to our oponents or at least made it available if the other teams wanted it. Regardless of our injuries we have been a top tier defense since Greg Williams came around and to drop to the 32nd ranked defense in one year just doesnt make much sense. Even with our lack of pass rush it really seemed like we were totally exposed and hopefully GW takes some time this offseason to adjust his plays as we know at least the Giants know all of our plays.

bring on the conspiracy theories:doh: ... We got flat-out outplayed. Why is that so hard to understand?

GW should be able to get everything on track this year. and hopefully they wont need to be on the field as much. teh O should step it up as JC will be starting from the beginning and everyone has the new O in their mind already. should be a very good year and everything should click

Archived