Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How the Skins can create Cap Space Updated #3

D-Day

Agin, along the lines of a previous discussion we had on this subject, a couple of points:

1. That year 3 bonus isn't technically an "Option Bonus" because you've guaranteed it.

2. More importantly, it needs to be noted that said player can be released after 5 years, having been paid 25.82 mil, an average of 5.164 per year. So, you better be offering that contract to a player who actually is looking for 5 mil a year, and just gets a little ego boost from the announced figure. Because if you've offered it to a player that's looking for 7 mil per, he's gonna walk out the door and probably not return your calls while he's negotiating with other teams.

I know it is not Technically a Option Bonus, but what is the term since it is guaranteed and I said it was. It is not a roster or signing bonus. Maybe a delayed bonus I have never seen anything but a option or roster or salary bonus (oops lets include workout bonus).

2. True but it was just a example of how a long term big deal is structured and nothing more. It not a questimation or prediction on a contract for LFB. I did a six mil bonus because it is easy math and didn't want to figure out the probable 10 -12 mil SB a contract of 42 mil would require.

if we keep springs we have a cap space of 10.56 million according to you right? I say use the 10.56 million to sign kerney, a cb for depth and draft alan branch.

Even if we keep springs we will cut

Hall 1.5 mil

Probably

Collins 1.25 mil

Patten - .725

so add onto the 10.5 about 3.5 as the min we will have. So safely we can have 14 mil going into FA but I also expect wynn to go and save another 2.5 mil.

Hall 1.5 mil

Probably

Collins 1.25 mil

Patten - .725

so add onto the 10.5 about 3.5 as the min we will have. So safely we can have 14 mil going into FA but I also expect wynn to go and save another 2.5 mil.

I wouldn't guarantee that Collins gets cut. I would like it. All skins fans would like it. Hell, Todd Collins might even like it. However, Saunders loves him, and although Saunders has lost some power, Collins is still an integral part of him installing his offense. We have maneuevered enough around the cap that keeping an aged vet who knows the system is possible, even at his price. he really didn't look that bad last preseason.

Hall 1.5 mil

Probably

Collins 1.25 mil

Patten - .725

I don't know if we should cut collins but it seems we are in a good position to take a moderate gamble on kerney, sign a CB for depth and upgrade our DTs by drafting Branch. If we have money left over after those 3 acquisitions i'd then start to consider another MLB but I'd like to give marshall a year with branch as well as our secondary a year with branch and kerney.

I wouldn't guarantee that Collins gets cut. I would like it. All skins fans would like it. Hell, Todd Collins might even like it. However, Saunders loves him, and although Saunders has lost some power, Collins is still an integral part of him installing his offense. We have maneuevered enough around the cap that keeping an aged vet who knows the system is possible, even at his price. he really didn't look that bad last preseason.

JLC was has rumored that today in his blog, and I expect Bramlin to make it as the third this year, I hope anyways. I would not be against making TC a QB coach, Which is what he is now, and if we need him in a pinch should JC go down for the year or something then resign him onto the active roster.

I wonder if you can do that? I just thought of it and it doesn't sound like a bad plan.

Headline,

Todd Collins comes out of retirement to be the backup QB for the Redskins.

I know it is not Technically a Option Bonus, but what is the term since it is guaranteed and I said it was. It is not a roster or signing bonus. Maybe a delayed bonus I have never seen anything but a option or roster or salary bonus (oops lets include workout bonus).

2. True but it was just a example of how a long term big deal is structured and nothing more. It not a questimation or prediction on a contract for LFB. I did a six mil bonus because it is easy math and didn't want to figure out the probable 10 -12 mil SB a contract of 42 mil would require.

1. Well, it's technically a Guaranteeed Bonus. Not a big deal, just pointing it out. It's extremely weird to see a GB in year 3 of a deal, however.

2. I never mentioned Baker's name. Just saying that it is extremely rare to give a deal that's essentially "we're calling this 7 mil per year, but really it's 5 per year".

JLC was has rumored that today in his blog, and I expect Bramlin to make it as the third this year, I hope anyways. I would not be against making TC a QB coach, Which is what he is now, and if we need him in a pinch should JC go down for the year or something then resign him onto the active roster.

I wonder if you can do that? I just thought of it and it doesn't sound like a bad plan.

Headline,

Todd Collins comes out of retirement to be the backup QB for the Redskins.

You mean Bramlet ;) Having a QB at the min ($285k) is ideal because it is the most expensive position. Frankly, if we are down to #3 it's guaranteed we're signing someone of the street anyway. In my opinion its a solid value/production benefit, only because you expect no production from the #3. We should trade Collins for Randy Moss.

1. Well, it's technically a Guaranteeed Bonus. Not a big deal, just pointing it out. It's extremely weird to see a GB in year 3 of a deal, however.

2. I never mentioned Baker's name. Just saying that it is extremely rare to give a deal that's essentially "we're calling this 7 mil per year, but really it's 5 per year".

:thumbsup:

*Update #3 - More evidence from JLC of MB new contract and confirmation of Ducketts release.

The original post is updated. Now JLC's insider says we are 6 mil under and the actual person who I get the numbers from, or I verify of his, says we are around 9 mil under. I don't know the discrepancies or why, It could be that the contracts bonus money has yet to be officially prorated or maybe we know the value of LFG new deal. As I get confirmation or different info I will post and update.

Thanks and good luck skins fans.

As always should you have different info please let me know.

edit: for the record my prediction is that Fletcher's cap hit this year will be $2.72 he will get a five year deal with a $10 million SB. Clements, if we get him would be $4.595. he would sign a seven year deal with a $24 million SB(prorated over 6)

5 year deal with a 10M signing bonus would be 2M per year prorated. If we paid him league minimum his first year he would cost 2.75M. Your prediction about his 1st year cap hit isn't just unlikely, it's illegal and impossible according to the rules.

If we paid Nate Clements the league minimum, he would cost us 4.09M. You're allowing around 500K in other bonuses in his first year, and presuming that we pay him league minimum (which we won't). I just don't think those numbers are very realistic -- except for the signing bonus, I do think he'll get above 20M.

5 year deal with a 10M signing bonus would be 2M per year prorated. If we paid him league minimum his first year he would cost 2.75M. Your prediction about his 1st year cap hit isn't just unlikely, it's illegal and impossible according to the rules.

If we paid Nate Clements the league minimum, he would cost us 4.09M. You're allowing around 500K in other bonuses in his first year, and presuming that we pay him league minimum (which we won't). I just don't think those numbers are very realistic -- except for the signing bonus, I do think he'll get above 20M.

CBA this year mandates that the SB is spread out over 6 yrs. Next year it goes back to 5.

No. You're wrong. The vet min is $720k not $750k. Your number on Clements are wrong too. His base would be $595k and his SB would be prorated over six years, or 4 million per year for a total of $4.595. My numbers are right and the players WILL take those contracts because they are getting the signing bonus money up fron so they don't care abou the first year salary.

No. You're wrong. The vet min is $720k not $750k. Your number on Clements are wrong too. His base would be $595k and his SB would be prorated over six years, or 4 million per year for a total of $4.595. My numbers are right and the players WILL take those contracts because they are getting the signing bonus money up fron so they don't care abou the first year salary.

Where are you getting the 720k from? From http://askthecommish.com/salarycap/faq.asp the number for a 10+ vet is 820K in 2007. Fletcher is entering his 10th season.

Clements is entering his 7th year in the NFL, league minimum for 7-9 is 720K. So I don't nkow where you're getting the 4.595 number, either?

Where are you getting the 720k from? From http://askthecommish.com/salarycap/faq.asp the number for a 10+ vet is 820K in 2007. Fletcher is entering his 10th season.

Clements is entering his 7th year in the NFL, league minimum for 7-9 is 720K. So I don't nkow where you're getting the 4.595 number, either?

It goes by ACCRUED seasons, not year they are entering.

Good find Skin Patrol, I have been trying to find out what the minimum salaries were. Thanks for the link

Archived