Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Possible Restructures? $5.525 million under the cap?

Kurd Cudins

I agree with us being okay on cap space but I'm not sure I see Brunell going anywhere this offseason. Gibbs is extremely fond of him, and always keeps a solid vet as a backup. The cap hit is not going to bother Joe if he thinks he can still play, remember he kept Ramsey just to be a backup/compete instead of trading him to Miami for a first.

I also agree that we will have enough cap space to maneuver. And furthermore....

Wait....

What??? Did you say we could have traded Ramsey to Miami for a first round pick?

Add on the fact the the cap is supposely going to be going up as well. We ought to be in good shape to pursue Nate Clemens, Fletcher, Kerney and resign Dockery.

you haven't factored in other teams that have more cap room and are interested in some of the same players (e.g., Clements)

Every year it seems the Redskins are in trouble with the amount of cap room, and every year we find a way to sign the players we need. I like Dock - but I trust Gibbs and Co more than the average fan, if they feel they can let him walk and bring in an adequate FA (or draft a OG) - go for it. I do like the idea of cutting some of the dead weight, but I want to keep both Daniels and Wynn - they are great leaders. JMO

All right. So we've all been discussing what we would/should/could do. I was taking a look at a cap # page that many on here use and saw that a few of the cap numbers had changed. I'm not sure how PC knows exactly what the FO did, but the number's seem to go along with what John Clayton said a week or so ago. Here are the changes I noticed:

Samuels went from $8.6 to $6.2

Portis went from $7 to $6.2

Jansen(as announced) went from $5.4 to $3.3

Thrash(as announced) went from $1.5 to $1.1

Total Savings = $5.7

PC's Redskins Salaries and Contracts Pages

This is just something interesting I noticed and does not reflect anything official, but PC knows his stuff. Looks like we may have more room to play with than we thought. According to him we are now $5.525 million under the cap and that is before any of several expected cuts and other expected restructurings.

Remember whomever we cut will have to be replace. If someone leaves via FA, his numbers are already taken off the books at the end of the year I believe.

All right. So we've all been discussing what we would/should/could do. I was taking a look at a cap # page that many on here use and saw that a few of the cap numbers had changed. I'm not sure how PC knows exactly what the FO did, but the number's seem to go along with what John Clayton said a week or so ago. Here are the changes I noticed:

Samuels went from $8.6 to $6.2

Portis went from $7 to $6.2

Jansen(as announced) went from $5.4 to $3.3

Thrash(as announced) went from $1.5 to $1.1

Total Savings = $5.7

PC's Redskins Salaries and Contracts Pages

This is just something interesting I noticed and does not reflect anything official, but PC knows his stuff. Looks like we may have more room to play with than we thought. According to him we are now $5.525 million under the cap and that is before any of several expected cuts and other expected restructurings.

I didn't read all the responses but Jansen and Thrash are the only ones to restructure so far this offseason.

Samuels and Portis #'s went down (with some others) due to the front office taking a total of 6 million in roster bonuses and prorating them over the remaining years of the contracts. This is done every year and Does Not require the permission or signature of the player

Yes, but add cutting Fauria(1), Hall(1.5), Patten(.725), Wynn(2.5) that's an additional 6 million total $11.5 million. If we release both Brunell and Springs, add another $10 million for a total of $21.5 I feel like we have room to move no matter what.

I think we think alike as I laid most of this out a few days ago.

PS Keep going

Collins

Daniels

Please be cut.

Brunell will restructure with a pay cut.

Other possible true restructures include Griff, Washington, and RT. (Please don't do these unless truly needed)

Dang we can create that much cap just by cutting the dead weight on the roster? Are these numbers completely legit?

100% Legit

PC's numbers are taken from the NFLPA web site that lists the players salaries and is updated often. I believe he also has inside help.

The only way they save 10M of cap space in 07 by releasing both Brunell and Springs is if they are both either designated as post 6/1 releases or actually released after 6/1 and in either case that 10M wouldn't be available to be used until after 6/1 when the only players available around the league are players the Skins have just released. If they are both released post 6/1 it will leave about 8M of dead money in 08.

The problem this off season around the league won't be creating cap space. The problem will be in finding FA's worth spending it on because it's a real poor group available IMO and will lead to bloated contracts for average and below average players and incredible contracts for the few available who are worth a hoot.

Both of those would have to be june 1st cuts to save 10 mil for both. MB will take a pay cut this offseason. Like I said a couple of days ago, the skins can be easily 20 mil under the cap without losing STARTERS.

I don't think anyone believes me though.

Archived