Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SportingNews - Eagles Team Report

HapHaszard

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=176602

If the team fails to re-sign unrestricted free-agent WR Donte Stallworth to a long-term deal, look for his replacement to come from inside the organization. The team is already bracing for Stallworth's departure by talking up the play of rookies Hank Baskett and Jason Avant. Baskett (6-4, 220) has excellent size for Andy Reid's West Coast offense and showed the ability to get deep in his limited role last season. He averaged 22.1 yards on his 22 catches as a rookie. Avant is more of a possession receiver who has good hands and runs precise routes but lacks even average speed. Veteran Greg Lewis, a backup and good special teams player, will also be in the mix. . . .

Don't expect the team to break it's streak of not drafting a linebacker in the first round. The last time it happened was 1979 -- and Jerry Robinson turned into a Pro Bowl performer. Despite a crying need for help at the position, the team seems to think it has a trio of good, young players in Omar Gaither, Chris Gocong and Matt McCoy. There are also those in the organization who like Torrance Daniels. Gaither, a fifth-round pick last year, did a decent job on the weak side the second half of last season but needs to get better and cut down on his mistakes. Gocong, trying to make the transition from small college defensive, spent the year on injured reserve. There's no way of knowing what he can do, but he was an excellent pass rusher in college. McCoy was handed the starting weakside spot a year ago but eventually lost it to Gaither. He just seems too small and lacks big-play ability.

Click on the link above for the rest of the article

What ****??? man its preseason, who knows what will happen before the season starts.

I believe, and correct me if I'm wrong wb36, that he's sick of the Eagles ignoring the LB position's importance. It's hard to argue with the success JJ has had, but it seems like they're putting way too much stock in unproven players (Gocong, Daniels, McCoy, Gaither). As to Stallworth, it is hard to argue either side of the argument. He does bring a speed that really stretches the field, but he also can't be counted on for 16 games a season. Tough decision for the front office. Most likely one of the $30 mil+ teams will offer him a big deal because there aren't many good WRs out there.

The Eagles have all that cap space, most of their team signed, many to long term contracts and yet they are going to let Stallworth go and they're not going to attempt improving the LB's? Why would they not want to improve the LB's?

Make Iggle fans mad. :)

For whatever reason, FO /coaching staff seem to be content with what they have on their roster. AR puts way more stock in OL/DL than any other position on the field, and it shows by the number of picks spent on both. I think all of us Eagle fans would like to see a playmaking LB in there as it seems that is where the defense is the softest.

As to Stallworth, I would think they would offer similar money that they gave Reggie Brown. They both produced comparable numbers and both seem to be good 2nd receivers. Who knows if they have offered that or if they're waiting to see what he gets out on the market.

Make Iggle fans mad. :)

For whatever reason, FO /coaching staff seem to be content with what they have on their roster. AR puts way more stock in OL/DL than any other position on the field, and it shows by the number of picks spent on both. I think all of us Eagle fans would like to see a playmaking LB in there as it seems that is where the defense is the softest.

As to Stallworth, I would think they would offer similar money that they gave Reggie Brown. They both produced comparable numbers and both seem to be good 2nd receivers. Who knows if they have offered that or if they're waiting to see what he gets out on the market.

I can understand not signing Stallworth if he is asking for outrageous bling. However the Eagles should at least put a good offer on the table.

I really respect and agree with AR's emphasis on the lines. However, that set of LB's needs some upgrading and there is plenty of money and picks to handle it. To just bring in another 10 veteran at the minimum scenario is silly when the resources are in abundance.

I can understand not signing Stallworth if he is asking for outrageous bling. However the Eagles should at least put a good offer on the table.

I really respect and agree with AR's emphasis on the lines. However, that set of LB's needs some upgrading and there is plenty of money and picks to handle it. To just bring in another 10 veteran at the minimum scenario is silly when the resources are in abundance.

Preachin' to the choir!

As to Stallworth, I don't know if they have made an offer, or maybe their just waiting to see what other teams offer him. WRT LBs, it's just always been their MO to not draft them too high, nor spend big bucks on them in free agency. They seem to think they can spend minimally on this position and get close to the same results.

If they're waiting for him to "test the waters" then they probably are not going to sign Stallworth. He's going to take a look at his health and how much teams will offer. If they're too far apart, I just can't see him taking like a 50% home town discount.

I'm more interested in who will play MLB. I've been waiting for Trot's knees to finally give way, and it looks like that time has come. And I hope Cocong impresses everyone the way Matt McCoy does. My gut feeling? Cocong=McCune. Or maybe that's just me hoping.

I'm sick of this ****.

Oh,....but I thought the Eagles were the cap gurus! It's called extremely cheap and not cap management. The Eagles will begin this season $25M under. Do they give cap credit for years you do not use it?:laugh: Obviously, the Eagles Front Office thinks so!

We may have had a bad season; however, with the "Dan" we can be assured of an offseason that will bring hope.

We may have had a bad season; however, with the "Dan" we can be assured of an offseason that will bring hope.

Take a look at how that's gone lately.

All the FA Redskins One crap is false hope. Coaching stability is the real hope.

Or maybe you were just being sarcastic, he says hoping.

Stop me if you've heard this one.

So it's February, and teams are prepping for the NFL offseason. The Philadelphia Eagles have question marks at wide receiver and linebacker, and....

... oh, you have? Sorry.

You are right. We hear do hear that every year, that's why even though I think they need to re-sign Stallworth, I don't expect them to.

But the coaching staff is questioning Trotter's ability to be an every down guy, which is new.

You are right. We hear do hear that every year, that's why even though I think they need to re-sign Stallworth, I don't expect them to.

But the coaching staff is questioning Trotter's ability to be an every down guy, which is new.

I also don't expect to sewe Stallworth anymore. I like him, and would really like to see him back around, but I've been pump faked on this one too many times.

They are questioning Trotter right now, and rightfully so. He had a pretty miserable season. Like receiver, though, if they plan to replace him I imagine it would come from within. They always envisioned Gaither as a middle linebacker, so i could totally imagine them moving him back there this season. The prospects of a trio of McCoy/Gaither/Gocong are a bit daunting, but hopefully they'll think better of such a thing.

I didn't realize this. I thought Gaither was always to be the weak side and GoCong perhaps the strong side.

Gaither played strong in college and was put in the middle after the draft and through training camp. When McCoy really became a problem, they switched him from the position he played all season to the weak side.

At this point, I don't have any way of stating his "natural" or "original" position.

The Eagles have all that cap space, most of their team signed, many to long term contracts and yet they are going to let Stallworth go and they're not going to attempt improving the LB's? Why would they not want to improve the LB's?
The Eagles don't have nearly as much money to be throwing around as you seem to think.;)

Archived