Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Darrell Green - Autographs

Mania

I met someone this morning that works for Darrell Green and his Foundation and I asked her if she knew why DG didn't like to sign autographs.

She told me that he doesn't like to give autographs because he is afraid that people would sell them over the internet.

This is too bad, because the internet era has done this to the true sportsfan. Most people are interested in an autograph for the keepsake, not for the profit. However people that are out there to make a buck, have ruined it for the true fan. This is probably the same reason why Cal Ripken doesn't like to give autographs outside of the year he broke the record and his final season.

I am lucky enough to have an autograph from Darrell Green. Ten years ago I was an employee of Marriott International and did fundraising for his foundation. Everyone that wanted an autograph paid $5.00 to the foundation. Little did I know how hard it was at the time to get his autograph.

Anyway, I know this was a roundabout way of explaining why he doesn't give autographs, but thought people would like to know.

I met someone this morning that works for Darrell Green and his Foundation and I asked her if she knew why DG didn't like to sign autographs.

She told me that he doesn't like to give autographs because he is afraid that people would sell them over the internet.

This is too bad, because the internet era has done this to the true sportsfan. Most people are interested in an autograph for the keepsake, not for the profit. However people that are out there to make a buck, have ruined it for the true fan. This is probably the same reason why Cal Ripken doesn't like to give autographs outside of the year he broke the record and his final season.

I am lucky enough to have an autograph from Darrell Green. Ten years ago I was an employee of Marriott International and did fundraising for his foundation. Everyone that wanted an autograph paid $5.00 to the foundation. Little did I know how hard it was at the time to get his autograph.

Anyway, I know this was a roundabout way of explaining why he doesn't give autographs, but thought people would like to know.

Not another Darrell Green autograph thread... :doh:

His autograph on EBay is not worth anything significant. That is his lame excuse :doh: Put a signed D Green mini helmet on EBay and you would be lucky to get $50, and the helmet would cost you $20. :doh:

He is one of those people who is mr. nice guy on camera, and unappreciative off. He just isn't fan friendly off camera.

His autograph on EBay is not worth anything significant. That is his lame excuse :doh: Put a signed D Green mini helmet on EBay and you would be lucky to get $50, and the helmet would cost you $20. :doh:

He is one of those people who is mr. nice guy on camera, and unappreciative off. He just isn't fan friendly off camera.

You have been registered for 3 months.

Just how many of these threads have you had to endure....since you seem to be TOTALLY disgusted by this thread.

HAD the poster realized JUST how tMUCH his thread affected you.....I wonder if the would have posted.

You have been registered for 3 months.

Just how many of these threads have you had to endure....since you seem to be TOTALLY disgusted by this thread.

HAD the poster realized JUST how tMUCH his thread affected you.....I wonder if the would have posted.

My :doh: is not to the poster, but being tired of Mr. Green and his autograph antics. Sorry to have offended you.

Chipwich, First and foremost, if you hate reading DG Autograph threads than don't open them and post in them. I hadn't seen one in a while and since I met this person today decided to open a new thread.....

Now whether it is $1.00 or $500.00 isn't the point. The point is that he doesn't like other people profiting off of his name and I can understand his reasoning and respect his value.

BTW Blondie, thanks for backing me.

its a bummer, Darrell is my favorite player ever and if he doesn't get into the HOF next year it's rigged against us.

DG is definitly my favorite defensive player ever and maybe my favorite player, but Art Monk ranks right up there. I'm also a huge fan of a non Redskin player Ken Stabler as he was my favorite player in the 70s even though I've been a Skins Fan all my life.

I agree it would be a bummer if DG didn't get into the HOF next year, but don't believe it is rigged as the Skins as a ranking came out with the SKins, I believe being in the top 5 of HOF players in the Hall. Of course, in more recent years with the Art Monk issue coming up it seems as if the Hall of Fame is more like the Hall of Shame.

I'm hoping when it comes down to voting for certain writers to get into the HOF...if this is possible we wage a battle to keep morons like Dr. Z out of the Hall. I'm starting to change my stance albeit slowly on Peter King.

When training camp was in Carlisle in 2002, Darrell's last year, I was walking down the street heading to see the practice and Darrell was on the side of the road at the back of a minivan with who I would guess was one his employee's selling t-shirts for fundraising for his foundation. If you bought a t-shirt he would sign it for you and take as many pictures with you as you wanted. There was no one around but my friends and I so Darrell talked with us for awhile. What a truly great experience for me and meeting Darrell lived up to every expectation of him that I had beforehand. A wonderful person who was as good as advertised.

I'm trying to put together a collection of auto's from the 70 greatest 'Skins. And in doing a ton of research on the internet, eBay included, DG is one of the MOST expensive autos to get. I would say that if you planned on purchasing an authentic auto from DG, you should plan to pay 140 or 150. So, I don't know where you're looking, but it appears that you may be uninformed.

Darrell Green Auto Search on eBay

It is easy to get Darrell's autograph, just go to the following site and follow the instructions. Darrell was Mr. Redskin, i was lucky enough to get his autograph at a collector's show. I paid $175.00 and got a 2002 Authentic 70th anniversary numbered jersey signed. He was very nice about it, i got to meet and talk with him and the jersey will never be sold, he runs a charitable foundation now, i'm sure he would rather use his autograph to fund a source of charity then line somebody's pockets.

http://www.darrellgreen.com/for_the_fans/autograph_signing.html

True story. My opportunity to get Darrell Green's autograph was at the Hall of Fame Game in 1989. The Friday before the game, I was touring the Hall when the Redskins players came in. I got Dexter Manley, Charles Mann, Joe Jacoby, Charlie Taylor, and Pete Rozelle to sign. I approached Darrell (respectfully) after he got finished reading a display and he told me "I'm not Darrell Green." I laughed slightly (unbelievably) and went to another player and asked "who is that player standing there?" He said Darrell Green. I went back to him and respectfully requested an autograph again. He relented and signed. My father came upon us and asked Darrell if he could get a photo of me with Darrell. He stated "your son is wearing me out," but he let my Dad take the picture. It left me puzzled. I thought of all the places in the world where it would be appropriate to approach a player, the HOF would be the place. It was for all the other players I asked. Does this make him a bad person? No. Did it change my view of players? Not at that time. Now that I think back on it, I feel like he was a little rude considering the situation and atmosphere. Make your own judegements. By the way, I was 20 at the time if that makes a difference.

Archived