Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The crisp and juicy thread (edit)

shk75

In Maryland there's one in the shopping center adjacent to Leisure World, one on East West Highway in Silver Spring, and one on the Pike in Rockville.
Also one in Wheaton Mall. Good competition between that one and El pollo Rico. No beans and rice at EPR, so the nod goes to C&J.

A little history...

As far as the chicken goes, pollo a la brasa is a Peruvian Style charbroiled chicken. One of the first (if not the first) restaurants in the DC area was El Pollo Rico in Arlington.

It was the owners idea to open this chicken restuarant back in 1993(?), at the time it was a risk, who knew how the public would react to this 'new' style of chicken.

Up until the day before the grand opening, he was perfecting the combination of ingredients. The recipe is still a family secret and they still inject each chicken with the flavor baste and let it marinaide 24 hours before putting them on the grill. The "El Pollo Rico" in wheaton is owned by the brother of the Arlington location.

Anyway it was a big success and many have adopted this 'Peruvian Style' Chicken, now you see them everywhere.

For me, I still remember when I was a kid visiting Callao, Peru back in the day and eating a half bird. They were smaller back then (organic I suppose) and very flavorfull. On my most recent trip back, I went to a place in Lima and the chicken wasn't nearly as good as El Pollo Rico.

I think they make the best chicken and haven't had one that I like better. My friends and I call it 'crack' chicken because it is so addiciting. One of the reasons they don't serve any other sides is because they can't keep up with the demand, around 7000~ customers per week.

Oh and by the way, Peruvians make other food besides chicken :) Wait till you get a hold of some Lomo Saltado or Ceviche.

is it the place that has Peruvian chicken and the french fries with the AWESOME green mayo stuff?

That's el pollo rico, and it dominates crisp and juicy...and i think they are right next to eachother (in arlington at least).

El pollo rico is the best Peruvian chicken ever. Sorry guys.

Woah Woah Woah.... So your telling me I live near this place and I have never been, this is rediculous I need to get my ass to this place soon. Thanks fellas.

If you are in Sterling, it'll be easier to go to the La Chosita Grill in Leesburg, which my friends and I just call The Chicken Shack. Because its a shack, but the food is freaking spectacular.

That's el pollo rico, and it dominates crisp and juicy...and i think they are right next to eachother (in arlington at least).

El pollo rico is the best Peruvian chicken ever. Sorry guys.

El Pollo Rico has never been right next to Crisp and Juicy. It was originally on Washington Blvd and 10th (I think), and their new location is Wilson Blvd around Monroe or Nelson street - a block over from the Jiffy Lube.

I agree - for rotisserie chicken, El Pollo Rico is the shiznit. However the spicy chicken sandwich at Crisp and Juicy is the best one on this planet. :)

Archived