Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sporting News: A fine line between genius and dunce (Gibbs related)

slinky

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=170189

Joe Gibbs used to be scary. He won three Super Bowls with three different quarterbacks and told Bill Walsh where to get off. Now Joe Gibbs is scared.

Early this season Parcells was a dead man walking, rendered a zombie by the apathetic work of quarterback Drew Bledsoe. Yet he stayed with Bledsoe until the guy threw a lazy pass that was intercepted at the goal line. Reluctantly, Parcells went to Tony Romo sits to pee, whose immediate sensational play showed how deeply into a vegetative state the coach had fallen.

Gibbs, during his first incarnation as the Redskins' coach, read in the paper that Bill Walsh had said Gibbs was one of the many supplicants who came to him for advice on the West Coast offense. Soon enough, the phone rang in my office, Gibbs asking, "Did Walsh say that?" Yes, he did. "I'm going to say this slowly," Gibbs said, "so you can get it down." OK. "I have never talked about offense with Bill Walsh. Never. Goodbye."

That Joe Gibbs has vanished. Today's Joe Gibbs hires a guy to design his offense, choose the players, call the plays. What Gibbs does during games now, no one is certain. Maybe his headset picks up pit-to-car communications during NASCAR races.

So, Gibbs didn't kick the team in the ass last season when they weren't playing the way he felt they should be playing?

No, this isn't the same Gibbs as the first time around, but his role is different. He's here to rebuild this franchise and set the franchise on the right path again. He knows that he's not the long-term solution to this franchise, so he's trying to gather the right people together to coach the franchise. This time around, he's more the Team President than he is Head Coach. While that disappoints some, over the long term, it is probably best.

I mean, now someone is going to need to take the team Parcells built and do something with it. Now, the Wade Phillips/Jason Garrett rumor, that would make all too much sense, but still someone new will probably be brought in and turnover will probably happen again, since that usually happens when a new head coach signs up.

Jason

Archived