Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PE.com : Dawkins Embodies Leadership

Number5

A very good read on the undisputed leader of the team....

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/homeNewsDetail.jsp?id=62910

Click link for full article

Dawkins Embodies Leadership

January 3, 2007

By SHANE EVANS

This season looked like it was going to turn into a repeat of last year.

The Eagles had lost five out of six games and with so many young players on the roster, it would be easy to assume that they didn't have the mental makeup to make a run at the playoffs.

In a situation like that, leadership is essential, and fortunately for the Eagles, they have oodles of it. That starts with the longest-tenured Eagle, free safety Brian Dawkins. This playoff run will be the seventh of his career. How does it compare to the ones of years past?

"It's different because of the amount of young guys we have on the team," said Dawkins calmly as he sat in his usual arms folded position at his press conference on Wednesday. "They're playing well for us. I think that'd be the only difference. As far as confidence, the confidence is where it needs to be. We're playing our best ball at the right time."

If I was in the hospital, and they granted me a wish to have one person come visit me, that person would be Brian Dawkins. I'd tell him that I loved him and he never let me down in my entire life watching Philadelphia Eagles football.

Did I ever tell you the story of how me and my ex-wife met him, Hugh Douglas and Hollis Thomas like 5 years ago in a Toys R Us in Springfield, Pa?

Long story short, Hollis was talking smack as to why I had a Dawkins jersey on instead of his while my back was turned. I responded still facing the counter that Thomas was an injury prone bum who is better suited as a jewlery salesman than an Eagles. My ex smacks my head forcing to turn around and I see the three of them holding toys for one of the daughter's b-day party. Dawkins smiles and signs my jersey as does Hugh, but Thomas not only gives me this evil eye, but he gives my ex-wife $100.00 to buy my son's video game.......

Long story short, Hollis was talking smack as to why I had a Dawkins jersey on instead of his while my back was turned. I responded still facing the counter that Thomas was an injury prone bum who is better suited as a jewlery salesman than an Eagles. My ex smacks my head forcing to turn around and I see the three of them holding toys for one of the daughter's b-day party. Dawkins smiles and signs my jersey as does Hugh, but Thomas not only gives me this evil eye, but he gives my ex-wife $100.00 to buy my son's video game.......

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: That's a great story!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Was it an authentic?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: That's a great story!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Was it an authentic?

Nah....it was a replica that I have had since 1996 when Dawkins was a rookie. I got it for X-mas that year. It was either that or a Ricky Waters jersey. Glad I made the right choice! :D

Even though he always seemed injury prone, I always liked him and was disappointed when he left the Eagles. Hugh Douglas was/is the best DL this team has had since Reggie & CO. in my opinion. Great locker room guy with good onfield play. Not to mention that he won the playoff game for the Eagles against the Bears in...2001? when he blew up their QB. When rumors came out about him getting into a fight with TO, I was wishing he had done a little damage.

Dawkins is the best safety that I've seen play in my time of watching football. I'd be shocked if his bust doesn't end up in the Hall of Fame some day.

Especially if he can continue his consistant play and stay healthy for a couple more seasons.

33 and no let down! Much respect!!!

Archived