Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The BOOING of Brunell

CommishDC

I was embarassed when Brunell was booed Saturday night. It's one thing to hear the many visiting fans yell about Brunell, but to watch the satisfaction on their faces when we're booing our own was sickening.

Exactly! Whenever we boo at our own players opposing fans always seem really surprised and then....they start laughing at "what a mess we as fans and a team are". It's embarrassing. I mean it's different if we are only amongst Redskins fans venting (for example in our own home), but when people do it in front of other fans in our stadium/House it's just humiliating.

So thaaaaaanks out there to all of you who made us look like idiots. Appreciate that. ;):rolleyes::cheers:

They would have laughed at us had we cheered him too. It's been a bad season. My thing is why were there so many freaking Giant fans there. As fans we have a miniscule impact on the team. The one impact we do have, is cheering for our team when they are home. Any time we let one of our season tickets go, and it's too a fan of an opposing team. We are hurting our own team, however miniscule. We all vote, even though we know it won't be our vote that decides the election. But it's the principle. Please don't let other teams fans into our stadium.

Yep, you're right they probably would have, but who said anything about "cheering" for him when he took the field?

Sincerely,

a fan who refuses to sell her tickets to opposing fans - under principle. :cheers:

There is no reason why we should have booed Brunell. Yes he did stink this season, but he did take us to the playoffs last year, and we had fun watching him because it was our first playoff season since 2000 i believe.

Once again, he did not "take us to the playoffs". He was along for the ride. Clinton Portis, the offensive line and the defense took us to the playoffs and the defense won us our playoff game.

Fans booing a QB is not something new here in DC.

Joe Theismann took us to consecutive Super Bowls, was an NFL MVP and yet when his play declined, he was booed in parts of 84 and through much of 85 until his leg was broken.

Jay Schroeder was a pro bowl QB for us and led us to an NFC Championship Game, and yet was booed at times during the 87 season.

Doug Williams was a Super Bowl MVP and had led the greatest offensive explosion in a single quarter in NFL history, yet when he played poorly in 88, he was booed and people called for Mark Rypien.

Mark Rypien came off a pro bowl season, led the Skins to the Super Bowl and was named Super Bowl MVP. Yet when he struggled in 92, he was booed.

Brad Johnson had a pro bowl season in 99 and he (unlike Mr. Brunell) actually did lead the Redskins to the playoffs and yet the next year when he struggled he was booed.

It's the nature of the beast in this town.

I'll agree that under the circumstances of Saturday night, Jason being hurt and thus the backup had to go in, Brunell should not have been booed. I too felt bad for him under the circumstances, unlike 04 when I enjoyed it when the entire stadium had had enough of Mark Brunell and I'm convinced that it was the booing (which boardered on vicious) that finally got Brunell benched in the Bengals game.

I guess the only excuse I'll offer for Saturday night is that perhaps fans were afraid that Gibbs was going to "Ramsey" Jason Campbell, ie use an injury as an excuse to pull him in favor of his guy.

Archived