Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Your Core Redskins

Johaun

Ok, so we have all seen the posts trade this guy cut that guy. Almost every name has been thrown out there. So just a curiosity question, whose your number one core guy and why? Basically say you are doing a fantasy draft and your first pick has to be a Redskin on the current roster. I've seen all the reasons why people want to cut and trade players. So who do you want to keep? Who do you believe is the MVP of the Redskins?

We all love the Redskins and there are allot of players who are fan favorites. However it’s obvious that being a fan favorite does not exactly make you irreplaceable. We have many great players on this team, but as we have all seen great players don't make a great team.

If I am building a team around one Redskin I'm sorry it's going to be Clinton Portis. A healthy Portis is a very dangerous player, he has the tools to be our version of LT. Betts is great, I love him. But to me a healthy CP is very hard to replace. I know he has been injury prone, but until this year that has just slowed him down. So if I had to pick today I would choose Portis.

Anyway this is just my opinion. I just am hoping for some love for some of the players instead of how we don't need them.

One only? Jason Campbell at this point in time. If he is as good as the coaches believe and can progress like many believe he can you must always build your team around a YOUNG QB with potential. No offense to Portis, I would take him second probably , but RBs life spans are short and if you are building long term you will always need a good QB, which is much harder to find these days ( points to the NFC as evidence ). :cheers:

Offense: Portis, Betts, Sellers, Cooley, Campbell, Moss, The entire Oline.

Defense: Washington, Golston, Taylor, McIntosh, Rogers(Maybe, a lock when he gets some hands)

ST: Rock, Thrash, Randle-El, Prieoleau, Doughty, Taylor again.

I think we have our core. The Oline is getting older, but if Jansen and Samuels stay healthy they will produce. The middle of the line is solid. I think if we keep this group together with a few veteran additions (S, CB) and young talented athletes (DE, MLB) we will be good. A true possesion type reciever wouldn't hurt either.

i would definetly choose the entire o line, i think its obvious that you dont have to have a 50 million dollar running back to do well in the running game(betts is nasty) and the o line is helping campbell tremendously because he not getting harassed back there when he drops back, just watch the protection, especially on play action ;)

Campbell, Cooley and Portis for sure....Thomas on the OL....Samuels has played well too....but the first three are young guns for the future as well as Taylor, Moss, LLoyd, Randel El....our offense will fly next year.....don't leave out Fox on STs...he is a beast.

It did say a team built around "ONE" player correct?

Right now Clinton Portis...(1a)

or

Samuels(1b) is a close second though, could very well be first. Running backs you can get...great tackles not so easy. thats a toughie to me.

Could be Jason Campbell eventually but not right now.

Offense

Campbell-Has up side and could be a good QB.

Portis-Come on he is a all around beast.

Betts-Great backup nice one two punch.

Sellers-Nice blocking back and he should be our short yardage back.

Moss-Our best WR thats all that needs to be said.

Cooley-Good young TE that could be great.

O-line-Getting old we need to start getting young players behind them.Still they are damn good right now and looking better every week.

I also like Randel El he has heart and good 3rd WR and ST player.

Defense

Taylor-Good young safety with some teammates he would be great.

Washington-One of our best pickups in the last 6 years and our best LB.

Yeah Thats pretty much it on Defense.

Other Players

Thrash-All heart seems to give a 110%.You have to have guys like that.

Doughty-Young rookie that could work his way into the D.

Rock-Great ST player that could help out if we lose our RBs to injurys.

My core Redskins include:

Offense: Jason Campbell, Clinton Portis, Ladell Betts, Mike Sellers, Santana Moss, Chris Cooley and the entire starting O-Line. I believe Campbell will emerge as the long-term answer at QB. Portis and Betts will form a superb 1-2 punch at RB next year. Sellers, Moss and Cooley are also essential to the team's success.

Defense: Sean Taylor, Marcus Washington, Cornelius Griffin, Andre Carter and Carlos Rogers. Taylor and Rogers will be fixtures in the Redskins secondary for several years to come. Carter has really come on the last few games and I think he's only going to get better as he gets more comfortable in Greg Williams' system. Washington and Griffin are also keepers.

Special teams: James Thrash, Rock Cartwright, Reed Doughty, and Shaun Suisham, who I think has earned the PK job for next year.

^^People have very short memories. Also according to these same people, Sean Taylor sucks in coverage(although evidence points to the contrary in his first two years here).

After seeing Betts play... I started drinkin the betts koolaide for a bit... and was excited that we found this new stellar RB.... but then... the big play(20+ yds) never happened...

I saw an old vid of Portis last season and remembered why my hopes and dreams were crushed in that first preaseason game.... he is a much more dynamic runner... he just had so many big plays and open field moves that made him look great...

I believe that Betts, Portis, The Dirtbags, and Campbell are core redskins... that RB duo will be stellar when teams hav to look for the deep ball.

After seeing Betts play... I started drinkin the betts koolaide for a bit... and was excited that we found this new stellar RB.... but then... the big play(20+ yds) never happened...

I saw an old vid of Portis last season and remembered why my hopes and dreams were crushed in that first preaseason game.... he is a much more dynamic runner... he just had so many big plays and open field moves that made him look great...

I believe that Betts, Portis, The Dirtbags, and Campbell are core redskins... that RB duo will be stellar when teams hav to look for the deep ball.

Portis is a core Redskin? Do you know why he is here right?

Offense: The offensive line.

Defense: Marcus Washington and Sean Taylor.

Why do you say Sean Taylor. Do you honestly think he cares about being a Redskin. I know people love him because he blows people up, but I don't see him being a definition of a core Redskin.

How easy we forget 2 years ago when he didn't show up for unmandatory workouts and he wouldn't return any of Joe Gibbs phone calls. He was the only one not there.

I see Sean like most NFL players, out there to get paid, and as soon as his contract is up with the Skins, he is going to go to where the most money is, unless we franchise him.

I think the biggest core Redskin out there is Rock Cartwright. I might not be his biggest fan, but I dont think there is nothing that means more to him then this organization that we love.

though he's not the only one, cooley is the first that comes to mind

i love the redskins far too much, but if they let cooley go i will instantly hate them

tgijef

Go ahead and leave the team. I cant stand fans like you. When the name on the back of the jersey means more then the name on the front.

Makes me sick to have bandwagon fans like you.

I think you have to say Samuels & Jansen who have to be the most long standing OT tandem in the league and yet are not geaserly either.

Moss is the next future canidate to "core-dom" just because of the historical moments he has had..the 'Dallas double catch', the last minute catch, etc. Just want him to put in more time. Moss has the beginnings of a great Core player career.

Portis is a personal favorite of mine, but he has been mostly good numbers, not great moments, needs be here longer also. I am still waiting for Portis to breakout into a Barry Sanders year and blow peoples minds, I have been holding out that if they put a QB back there who brings fear to a defense we will see Portis breaking Hall of Famer type records.

Taylor not buying on. He has been too much trouble and fans forget he has been very hit&miss. Needs to be good for a good long while first. Needs to be more consistent.

Archived