Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Brunell's future(a cap perspective)

Kurd Cudins

However, to say that a QB can take any amount of steps in a dropback on any given play really shows your lack of football knowledge, especially when it comes to the QB position. You can even see them practicing it on the ES practice cam.

If you recall Brunell's final season in J-ville (you probably don't), he was w/o Jimmy Smith because of a little cocaine problem, he was injured in the third game vs. Indy (which by the way was pretty good), there was a new head coach with a new system, and everyone around him SUCKED, including his O-line and receivers. He should have won his 1st game vs. Carolina, but the D could not handle the last second heroics by some new guy named Delhomme.

Practice cam is one thing. No one hits you in practice. Game tape doesn't lie. Called or not, MB would routinely drop back so far Jansen and Samuels couldn't push their men out far enough. And he almost never stepped up in the pocket. Again, you don't see Campbell dropping back nearly as far as Mark. But hey, maybe you're right, maybe Saunders actually wanted Mark to out-drop his protection.

And yeah, I do remember Mark's last year in Jacksonville. I remember Leftwich coming in because Mark wouldn't go downfield and teams started putting eight men in the box, killing the Jags running game. Sound familiar?

Practice cam is one thing. No one hits you in practice. Game tape doesn't lie. Called or not, MB would routinely drop back so far Jansen and Samuels couldn't push their men out far enough. And he almost never stepped up in the pocket. Again, you don't see Campbell dropping back nearly as far as Mark. But hey, maybe you're right, maybe Saunders actually wanted Mark to out-drop his protection.

And yeah, I do remember Mark's last year in Jacksonville. I remember Leftwich coming in because Mark wouldn't go downfield and teams started putting eight men in the box, killing the Jags running game. Sound familiar?

Actually, what sounds familiar is a new offensive system, poor line play, missed blocking assignments, receivers running wrong routes, better opponents...and a BAD defense. That sounds familiar. And you know what, things haven't gotten any better since your boy took over. And they won't get any better until next year.

Considering that it was Mr. Snyder (spell it right) who was behind the contract that he gave Mark in the first place, he has only himself to blame.

Jason

BS! Do you have proof of that? I didn't think so.

My guess is as good as yours. Boonell :laugh: was Gibbs choice, Snyder only signed the check.

Now Gibbs is stuck with it. That's why it took so long to get JC on the field. Gibbs didn't want to eat crow in the FO or media for the Brunell signing.

:2cents:

Much like cutting Weurfel so Spurrier was never able to be tempted again.

Cept Spurrier was able to make a never-was throw for 300+, and Gibbs has an also-ran throwing for 140. Don't get me wrong; I'm pro-Gibbs by a mile, but I'm not so sure Spurrier as O Coordinator in the NFL is as bad as we were led to believe. Give him 5 years straight to get NFL talent running his system -- Wuerffel was a system guy without NFL skills. Imagine what both at the same time would give you.

But man, what a lousy kickoff. Worst in the NFL. ;)

My QB Depth Chart:

1. Jason Campbell

2. Mark Brunell, restructured

3. Antwaan Randle El, thus saving a roster spot

*Todd Collins becomes QB coach

I see Huard starting somewhere next year, a la Kitna. Garrard will start too.

Wouldn't this be funny:

1. Jason Campbell

2. Byron Leftwich

3. Mark Brunell

MB losing out to BL in another city!

Just for future reference if the Redskins restructured his contract recently, then they can not restructure him again for 1 year by NFL rules, he would be cut I imagine
This is true, but inaccurate in this case. You are allowed to restructure a contract once per NFL year. The restructurings that made room for Betts' extension are tied to this year. Therefore, they would still have the option to restructure in the next NFL year, which starts around March 1st. However, I agree, they should release Brunell.

Edit: apparently I'm not right either. Please reference the excerpt from the CBA that Pocono has posted. Although, the outcome is the same.

Just for future reference if the Redskins restructured his contract recently, then they can not restructure him again for 1 year by NFL rules, he would be cut I imagine

(a) The contract of a Veteran Player may not be renegotiated to increase the Salary to be paid to the player during the original terms of the contract for a period of twelve months after the player’s most recent contract renegotiation. The first renegotiation of a Veteran Player Contract, however, may take place at any time.

I highly doubt they would be redoing Brunell's contract to "increase the salary."

http://www.nflpa.com/CBA/CBA_Complete.aspx#art24

section 9

Archived