Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Did you like the offensive playcalling today?

flexxskins

I think we can all agree that we are pissed and we see the signs of how great the offense can be and we hope it is next year. Thread closed! later.
Thread closed? Your quote had to be one of the weakest in here and added nothing to the discussion. So, why would the thread be closed? :laugh:

Guest JCsSkins

Play calling was fine because it was working. However IMHO I think they should pass much more. They have nothing to lose in these last 3 weeks and it would be good to see what JC has.

I want to see more downfield throws into man coverage. I don't care how well we're covered. The rules are setup to favor the receiver and any one of our guys can react to a ball and either:

1. Make the catch

2. Prevent an INT, even if it means a penalty

3. Get a PI call in our favor

Farve built a career on hail Mary's - it's not the throw so much as it is the adjustment to the throw.

ARE's reaction today miffed me. He misread that ball and had he kept running instead of slowing, looking over his left shoulder, then back over his right, he would have caught it. He gets a pass on that for the throw to BL. It was nice to see that play work, but it was a split second away from being an INC. Little too much air under it.

Yeah, I think that the play calling was alright. It seems that every time we get down to the goal line. Who ever calls the plays just picks the dumbest plays to run in that situation. They need to start letting the QB call plays like the old days. I think Campbell can do it. It seems like the people upstairs will get you hymmed up. Lol. I bet they suck at playing Madden.

This from SI's website:

The loss mathematically eliminated the Redskins (4-9) from playoff contention and ensured Joe Gibbs' second losing season in three years since coming out of retirement. The Hall of Fame coach will no doubt add a few more aging wrinkles and perhaps question his own decisions when he reviews a game that included 11 penalties; Jason Campbell 's two interceptions; a sack when Campbell tripped over his own lineman; two dropped interceptions; another poor game from cornerback Carlos Rogers ; and a potential go-ahead drive that stalled after a first-and-goal at the 3 with the score 21-16 late in the fourth quarter.

''One thing that we're lacking right now, we've got to play smarter,'' tackle Chris Samuels said.

On first down, backup running back T.J. Duckett gained nothing. On second down, a receiver slipped, and the pass went incomplete. On third down, the Redskins were whistled for 12 men in the huddle to move the ball back to the 8 - Gibbs attributed the error to a shuffling of personnel packages after center Casey Rabach left with a broken left hand.

Then Dawkins made the sack, forcing Shaun Suisham 's fourth field goal with 4:58 remaining. Betts, the team's most potent weapon, never touched the ball in the sequence. The Eagles took the ensuing kickoff and ran out the clock.

Agreed. Why was Cooley lined up on the outside against a DB? A slant to Cooley over the middle against a LB is one thing, but this was ridiculous. The coaches bare responsibility for that game changing play.

Overall the play calling was much better, but these two big mistakes stood out.

BINGO - I thought the same thing when I saw it. If a LB was covering Cooley I could maybe see throwing it his way, but when you have a DB in press coverage against a TE, chances are they will not get enough separation or even be able to get their body positioned to box the defender out. As an Eagle fan I was surprised to see that play, but then again maybe that is Campbell's fault? Wouldn't he be responsible for seeing the coverage and audibling or checking to a different receiver?

the playcalling was crap, possibly a D+

if you can't think on your feet on to go for it on 4th down get out. Also the last play was classic retard redskins..........................

Stack everyone on the line and tell the defense were gonna run between the tackles.

Just idiotic. You have a chance to win the game and can't come up with anything.

memo to retard gibbs/saunders/offense: spread the wide recievers out and run betts, hell it worked for the whole game.

This team needed to watch the game last night. I believe the saints were on the dallas 40 and with no hesitation went for it on 4th and 2 and picked it up. Also when they were on the 2 or 3 of dallas, what did they do; spread the wide recievers out to open up the field to run it in.

**** this isnt rocket science.

The 3rd and 9 slant play that was returned for a TD was horrific. Why throw a two yard slant to Cooley when you know you need NINE yards and when you saw Cooley being played in tight coverage pre-snap.

As said before, the series in the red zone at the end was horrific. Duckett comes in and gets no where on a run, they run a jumbled play play where JC throws it away, and then a rollout sack. Why is Duckett in there? Betts has killed the Eagles all day and they don't use when it counts? Gibbs should have pounded it three times with Betts and if needed, used 4th down to get it in.

I liked how they stuck with the run but the offense ended up being way too conservative. No killer instinct. No urgency.

Gibbs should be flogged in public for not using Betts on that 1st and goal. I blame him. he has the final say, right? That one drive just sumed up the entire year for me. What a miscarriage.

I liked how they stuck with the run but the offense ended up being way too conservative. No killer instinct. No urgency.

Horrible clock management. We get the ball back with 4:40 on the clock with 2 timeouts going into halftime and burned it all up to score a field goal...

I am pretty sure we did not even use the timeouts.... :doh:

Too true. At this point, there's nothing to lose. Nobody is talking about playing recklessly, but play more agressively. It made no sense to have the ball, 1 and goal at the 3 yard line and to come away with a field goal. Betts had been tearing the eagles a new one the entire game. Why insert Duckett when Betts has been the harder runner? And if anyplace where there was a stretch run play called, I think that this would have been it. Philthy was playing run up the middle.

The playcalling was ok in places, frustrating (at best) in others. The execution was the same. Unfortunately, it seemed the playcalling and the execution were both at the worst at the same times.
Yeah and unfortunately, it happens at the goaline. :doh:

I actually like the plays themselves. I just wish that we could mix the runs up with more PA passes.

Archived