Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Coaching Thread

TK

Break this loss down to a lack of concentration and mental errors. This surely is not the hallmark of a Joe Gibbs coached team, but seems it's the way of this team all year long. Two of the biggest game changing moments came on two huge mental errors.

#1--Chris Cooley's dropped pass on the 22 yard line when we were leading 14-3.....instead of concentrating on the catch, he tried to run before catching it, and cost us a first down or at least better position for a field goal. Had the field goal been 42 yards instead of 50, it's good......then Atlanta started from the 40 instead of maximum the 30...HUGE mistake!

#2--Casey Rabach's false start. Again, we are driving deep in Atl. territory. It is 2nd and 3 but because of Rabach's false start, it's then 2nd and 8 which we get an incomplete pass and then Campbell's int.

It's no wonder we are 4-8.......

Gibbs needs to take back this team, get rid of some of the coaches, and resume the offense and playcalling.

not 1 not 2 but three timeouts and you burn time off of clock before the half?

Where is the want to win and score?

Then you run? Al Sunders and Greg Williams need to go play for Norv Turner

they are one in the same, Greg Williams the Norv Turner of defence,

Al Sunders the Norv Turner of time and offence.

They both SUCK!:mad:

I have noticed something. It seems like the playcalling is dictated by the previous plays, not by the situation.

In this past game, we decided to run the ball on 3rd and 2, from the 2, with no timeouts...why, because the play before that, the run was wide open. Why was this? because we lined up to pass the ball, then we bring in Duckett after we see that we could have ran it in the play before, but obviously the defense will adjust.

Earlier in the game, we run a sweep right, it works, so we just run a sweep left on the next play. WOW! When we run a play during a game and there's a man wide open...we always go back to that play and force it to the guy that was open the last time we ran the play.

It seems like the coaches don't know that the other team can see what is going on, like they aren't going to make an adjustment to cover an open man because our QB didn't throw him the ball.

Another example, on defense, the Bucs run all over us, so we decide to ENGAGE EIGHT and all out blitz on a QB thats actually allowed to make reads and well prepared by Gruden, and wow we get burned.

Teams beat us deep and we give them a 12 yard cushion.

Teams run the ball and we blitz 8 guys.

Maybe it is me, but it seems like for some reason our play calls are the ones that would have beaten the last play, like we look at the very last play, and then we call a play that would have been a huge gain or the right call on defense.

Has anyone else seen this or am I just flat out wrong?:2cents:

Maybe it is me, but it seems like for some reason our play calls are the ones that would have beaten the last play, like we look at the very last play, and then we call a play that would have been a huge gain or the right call on defense.

Has anyone else seen this or am I just flat out wrong?:2cents:

In the military, they call that training to fight the last war instead of the next one. I see no creativity on offense. I see no adjustments. I do see a new willingness to pound the ball, but this offense is pretty vanilla despite the 700 pound playbook.

I'd say at least three. People claim Snyder's biggest mistake was firing Marty, but I think it was him not sticking to his guns and insisting Pepper be installed as the head coach after he canned Norv. Just think.......Brady, Bruschi, and Vinatieri would not be legends......instead we'd have George, Arrington, and Conway as the centerpieces of the true "Team of the Early Part of the 2000s."

(disclaimer: If any one you think i'm being serious at 5 AM, then :silly: )

So how does this mess get straightened out?

It's not about Al Saunders leaving. It's not about Gregg Williams leaving. They're both here because Gibbs brought them here, and the lack of direction in approach and tactics stems from Gibbs, the system he set up--which results in chaos.

The problem is exactly as the circumspect predicted when Saunders was hired: the team is overloaded with coaches. There are "too many cooks in the kitchen." What happens when you have too many cooks? Meals aren't coordinated, stuff gets left out, overcooked, undercooked.

Right now, there's only one thing that's sure for these Redskins: They're cooked.

It's painful to say it, but change here has to start at the top. Time for Gibbs to step down and take his staff with him. Bring in someone who's young enough so that he won't burn out after two seasons and will institute and stick with a plan for victory, a consistent plan for victory.

Right now, with both Gibbs and Saunders calling the shots in tandem, the Redskins are essentially playing against themselves.

And guess who's winning?

The other guys.

Archived