Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

politics suck

thito_da_skins_fan

everyone - - - Democrat, Republican, or Don't-Wanna-Choose-A-Party - - - is either crooked, stupid, or will make some kind of mistake along the way... so, really, it all sucks and makes no difference... voting is basically electing the politician who's less stupid, less crooked, and less apt to make the most mistakes...

i've seen so many "politics" threads and can't believe how you all can argue so much about something that's so far out of your hands... it's amusing, i guess...

:shootinth

I agree that the numerous political threads can get tiring. And this board is so right wing many of these posts come across as I agree, rah rah, back patting bravado worthy of a Wellstone memorial service.

But it is topical. Yesterday was election day, so if now isn't the time to talk politics, when is? And it's not out of your hands. It's very very much in your hands, unless, of course you didn't vote. In which case you have only yourself to blame.

I recall hearing Cheney speak over 10 years ago at a noted west coast academic institution. his message..."the system works as it is supposed to. it is very responsive to the voter - particularly at the House level." if things seemed fractured or inconsistent, it's because the electorate is also divided and local. if you have ever wandered into a power node offie you know what I am talking about...from the powerful to the less so...the phone never stops ringing.

i think it boils down to people abuse power...

did i vote yesterday? no...

have i voted in the past? yes...

i understand that by voting, people feel like they have a say in the political world... i don't agree... we vote for people who have a say for us... and that's fine... but the truth is we don't have a say because we have no power... and maybe we shouldn't... but, overall, i don't consider voting a power... it's a means to feel involved, more than anything... maybe i'm talking out of my a$$, but i just don't see how i'm helping the world by placing a vote for people i know nothing about, care to know nothing about, and in reality, no matter what "political party" they belong to, are all the same...

IMO, voting is like the NFL draft... take 2-3 brand new candidates - never been in office before... i don't care what party they belong to or what beliefs they share/don't share, you are taking a risk with any of them... no matter how smart you are, the truth is you don't know who the best candidate really is - until they sit in office and prove something to you...

there are too many idiots out there voting just to vote...

politics suck and it's been proven time and time again... they are all same, no matter the party, whether people choose to believe that or not...

just my opinion on something that i could care less about...

I wish more people would get involved and debate the future of our country. But it's easier to sit back and call everyone crooks and criminals and complain about how a single voice doesnt matter. Please feel free to exercise that right to abstain, but dont bash those of us who are involved and believe we can shape the future of our country.

If the number of threads on this board bother you, you are free to ignore them and stick to the main board and talk Skins football. I wont post any politico threads there, just dont begrudge me for doing so on the board designated for such threads.

Originally posted by Kilmer17

I wish more people would get involved and debate the future of our country. But it's easier to sit back and call everyone crooks and criminals and complain about how a single voice doesnt matter. Please feel free to exercise that right to abstain, but dont bash those of us who are involved and believe we can shape the future of our country.

If the number of threads on this board bother you, you are free to ignore them and stick to the main board and talk Skins football. I wont post any politico threads there, just dont begrudge me for doing so on the board designated for such threads.

i think you took what i said wrong... i never bashed any one of you and i could care less what you talk about... if politics float your boat, talk politics... i simply made a statement in which is MY opinion... i think politics are BS... you have the right to disagree, in which you did... but in no way did i complain about anything you have talked about... in fact, i haven't even opened a thread containing "politic" talk... i enjoy the "tailgate" for this very reason - it's open to discussing topics other than football... you are entitled to your opinion just as much as i am...

MB. I just see Politics like I view football. I dont understand how some of my friends are nonchalant about football. THey dont know whose playing or in the race. They may watch the Superbowl but only for the party. I feel the same way about politics. It facinates me. It is the ultimate debate. I cant fathom why people dont feel the same way.

In college, I lived across the hall from the chairwomen of the Young Democrats and NOW. We went round for round constantly. It was great. She was as passionate against almost all of my views as I was to hers. In the end, she's the one person who changed my mind on abortion. So I think a single person can make a difference.

Wow. Where do I start with this?

Originally posted by THiTo48

i understand that by voting, people feel like they have a say in the political world... i don't agree... we vote for people who have a say for us... and that's fine... but the truth is we don't have a say because we have no power...

Trust me. You ability to vote is quite powerful. In fact, it is the ultimate power. In fact, it's so powerful that politicians are often accused of trying to please the voters rather than govern. You don't have a say? Have you tried writing to your congressman lately? Have you visited his office with a concern? I actually interned for a Senator years ago (no jokes, please :) ) and the rule of thumb we were taught was one phone call represented 1000 voters. One letter 10,000. If you don't think your elected officials care about your opinions you are absolutely wrong.

and maybe we shouldn't... but, overall, i don't consider voting a power... it's a means to feel involved, more than anything... maybe i'm talking out of my a$$, but i just don't see how i'm helping the world by placing a vote for people i know nothing about, care to know nothing about, and in reality, no matter what "political party" they belong to, are all the same...

Well then, you should educate yourself. Trust me, candidates make their platforms as accessible as possible. If you are unfamiliar with them, then again, you only have yourself to blame.

IMO, voting is like the NFL draft... take 2-3 brand new candidates - never been in office before... i don't care what party they belong to or what beliefs they share/don't share, you are taking a risk with any of them... no matter how smart you are, the truth is you don't know who the best candidate really is - until they sit in office and prove something to you...

there are too many idiots out there voting just to vote...

politics suck and it's been proven time and time again... they are all same, no matter the party, whether people choose to believe that or not...

just my opinion on something that i could care less about...

All I can say about the rest of your post is that the REASON you don't know and don't care is because you live in a free and democratic society in which the government does not influence your day-to-day life enough for you to care. That's not necessarily a bad thing, believe it or not. We can all debate on whether or not it's irresponsible to abstain from voting, but at least realize why you have that luxury, and be thankful.

But that's just my opinion, informed or otherwise.

Originally posted by Henry

Trust me. You ability to vote is quite powerful. In fact, it is the ultimate power. In fact, it's so powerful that politicians are often accused of trying to please the voters rather than govern. You don't have a say? Have you tried writing to your congressman lately? Have you visited his office with a concern? I actually interned for a Senator years ago (no jokes, please :) ) and the rule of thumb we were taught was one phone call represented 1000 voters. One letter 10,000. If you don't think your elected officials care about your opinions you are absolutely wrong.

i guess i'm not mad at the world... not saying you are, of course, but i like the way life floats along... if something gets changed to please me, who's to say it won't pi$$ someone else off? am i better than another person? i guess my point is don't sweat the small stuff... go with the flow and have fun... i try not to take life for granted... i don't see the major differences between candidates like other people do, i guess... don't get me wrong, i love to voice my opinion... but i do it when i feel necessary...

Well then, you should educate yourself. Trust me, candidates make their platforms as accessible as possible. If you are unfamiliar with them, then again, you only have yourself to blame.

there is truth to that - i'm not nearly as educated as lot of people are as far as politics... but, believe me, that's by choice... i consider myself an edcuated person, even though i'm young, but i choose what and what not to learn... you are correct - i am to blame for not being familiar with candidates... but, as i've stated previously, this is by choice...

All I can say about the rest of your post is that the REASON you don't know and don't care is because you live in a free and democratic society in which the government does not influence your day-to-day life enough for you to care. That's not necessarily a bad thing, believe it or not. We can all debate on whether or not it's irresponsible to abstain from voting, but at least realize why you have that luxury, and be thankful.

But that's just my opinion, informed or otherwise.

i liked this paragraph... you are 100% correct... but, please know that i am very thankful for this... i try not to take things for granted, although sometimes i will make that mistake... either way you look at it, i believe life is precious... and to argue about politics, i guess i just can't find the time to waste...

and once again, i enjoy reading your opinion... i knew by starting this thread, it would lead to this, but i brought it on myself by making the comments i did... either way, i stand by them... ;)

Originally posted by THiTo48

i understand that by voting, people feel like they have a say in the political world... i don't agree... we vote for people who have a say for us... and that's fine... but the truth is we don't have a say because we have no power... and maybe we shouldn't... but, overall, i don't consider voting a power... it's a means to feel involved, more than anything... maybe i'm talking out of my a$$, but i just don't see how i'm helping the world by placing a vote for people i know nothing about, care to know nothing about, and in reality, no matter what "political party" they belong to, are all the same...

Quick question (and I mean it sincerely): with that outlook, why do you bother to post here on this message board?

my only issue with politics is that i cannot find people who match my philosophy. i agree on one major point, but disagree on another that i feel equally strong about. a lot of the time i find someone who is close enough, but they are a third party and don't have a shot in hell.

being fiscally conservative and socially liberal can be a b!tch i guess:D

Originally posted by redman

Quick question (and I mean it sincerely): with that outlook, why do you bother to post here on this message board?

by "this message board," do you mean the tailgate section? or the message board as a whole?

if you meant the tailgate section, well, because i was bored...

if you meant the whole board in general, then because it's fun...

i know what you're getting at, but the truth is, football is enjoyable to me while politics are not... i know not everyone feels that way, which is ok... but as far as the MB, of course it's a means to feel more involved... we have no say in what the Redskins do, but we like to talk about it... and unlike politics, football is something i care about...

that help?

Archived