Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Steve Smith interview about the game

gibbs_deciple

On the weekly Steve Smith interview on Sirius this week, Jerry Rice asked him about the game, and his co-host chimed in and asked if he was worried about Sean Taylor taking his head off. And he had actually had a very football minded answer. He said taking hits is something he doesnt think about, but the best thing he said was, "almost every team has that one headhunter safety, but if you are a headhunter, you better be able to cover. you better be able to cover good route runners like Drew Carter, etc... because if you cant cover, then its just 10 on 11"

I like Steve Smith. One of THE best WRs in the league today. I'd pick him over any WR in the league that is not named Santana Moss. :)

However, he is an opponent tomorrow... He MUST get his head knocked off by ST. He MUST get shut down as best as possible. ( I know, I know.. wishful thinking :laugh: ) As a Skins fan.. seeing those two things as well as a W would be a great great Sunday. :D

Does nobody else think the word 'head hunter' is used in a demeaning manner?

It's neither positive nor negative. It's an apt description of what they do. Some players really enjoy hitting very hard and being known for it. Sean Taylor wouldn't consider it an insult. Neither would Roy Williams or Dawkins or Polamalu or any of the big hitters

Ol Stevie boy is going to have fun running around in circle on our D. <sigh>

i dunno, ive had this gut feeling that the skins might respond in a positive way to Gibbs this week and give the panthers a rough time. If we can get pressure on Jake Delhommie, he can be inconsistant. And Deshaun Foster most likely wont be playing. (altho their rook, Deangelo Williams has looked great) On defense they might be without their big CB Ken Lucas who is listed as questionable and a gametime decision, so hopefully we can take advantage of that.

I think that's a pretty reasonable response all things considered. Smith is a decent guy, I'll be rooting against him this week but it's not like he's a player you can hate. He gives 110% when he's out there, guys like him are good for the game.

As long as we aren't playing a Tampa 2 and Marshall end up on him, yeah that could spell disaster, then we should be okay. I'm a big time #21 fan but he's been some steps behind as well on on long balls. I still can't forget that TD the Texans scored earlier in the year. Texans ball just inside the 10yd line, 2d and goal and they send the TE to the left side, #21 lines up as though he has him all the way. Ball snaps, TE runs a crossing pattern, #21 trails and bang TD! Oh I'm a big time #21 fan and always will be but we've (our secondary's) been playing catch up all year.

And my point? Well, that was in close quarters and on a TE. Opponents also like to send decoys on the intermediate and deep crossing patterns (speedster) down and away from the strong side. Remember that ? Yeah, the Eagles here at FEDEX. I think it was someone by the name of Brown. They occupied the CB to that side (strong side), sent Brown, a speedster, on a deep cross, free safety ended up trailing and the WR was gone, TD. Remember that? I think #24 was the occupoied CB on that side. But that's what happens when you get a burner in open space? It becomes a lot more difficult. DL where you at!

P.S

Some of that is down distance and situation based on tendecies and film study. It's not all atheleticism and talent, you also have to be a student. What are they talking about down there on the side line and in the film (club house). Hell, I don't know. I know TB was given Jackson (Assistant DBs Coach) all he could handle during the first game, last year. I mean they (TB) lit our a*& up! So what's the situation?

Archived