Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

bring this team back next year!

Murilo Bustamante

I love to speculate about new FAs as much as the next guy, but as we watch this team gel on the field, more and more I just want our front office to work this offseason on bringing this same team back again next year.

The OL looked like a disaster at the beginning of the year, but a few "diamonds" emerged- notably Sulfsted and T. Johnson. Now, we should also have Stai and Jones coming back from injuries next year, so between those three guards we have at least one guard position set and with Sulfsted we have a quality back-up tackle. I'm all for adding a first or second round guard, but otherwise let these guys gel this year and then bring them back again next year.

At receiver, we have tons of second receivers. We still need a big play threat, so here is a good place to use our FA money or first round pick.

Otherwise, we have also had pleasant experiences at back-up RB and at FB. Plus, while Ramsey had some rough going this year, I think he left us all with a good feeling. If Shane doesn't ask too much in the offseason, he and Ramsey would make a solid 1-2.

On defense, we are even more set. Re-sign Gardener. Keep Bruce (and not just because of this last game). A high round pick on the defensive line would be nice, but otherwise I like our D.

I think, even with SD's contract, we can re-sign all our FAs and have a good draft. Bring this team back next year, with a year under their belts and a few minor additions, and I think 2003 could be a really fun year.

...And maybe the rest of 2002 will be also!

I agree with some of the things you said and would like to bring back most of the team.

Here's what I would do...

I resign Jansen if he is willing to sign at a reasonable rate. I am not willing to pay him top 5 tackle money as I don't think he is top 5. If wants too much, I would painfully let him go and hope Jones can replace him.

I keep Davis only if the contract is a lot cheaper than what it is now. He is nearing 30 and he can no longer break the long runs. IMO, the fumbling is troublesome as well. Most likely I let him go and sign a cheaper vet to go with Watson and Betts. Spurrier would much rather throw the ball than run it anyway, so IMO it would be wiser to invest big bucks in a receiver rather than a rb.

First round pick is either a wide receiver or a defensive end. Depending on what available at the spot we pick at and what free agency looks like. If we don't draft a wr #1 than we need to spend a good amount of money of either getting into the David Boston sweepstakes or looking into Peerless Price as improving the receivers is my #1 proirity for this offseason.

I try to keep Matthews as a backup qb and maybe Willie Jackson, otherwise it's goodbye to the rest of the Gators and perhaps Derrius Thompson too. He is a free agent after the season I believe.

I don't see why we couldn't go into next season with a interior offensive line that consists of Stai, Moore and Tre Johnson if it appears he can stay healthy. If that is what happens than it will be important to add a decent free agent guard or spend a 3rd or so round pick on the position. I also think we should draft a center to groom, perhaps in round 4. If it's deemed that we need another starting guard than I look at Mo Collins and the free agents and also consider using a 2nd round pick on one.

I resign Daryl Gardener and perhaps look to upgrade Terrell's saftey position depending on how he finishes the year and if there is any chance of Lott being ready. Might have to draft one no matter what for depth.

I would not want to rely on Tre staying healthy. Re-sign him for min w/ very heavy incentives.

Bruce is gonna be another year older. We definitely need a new DE, and bring him and/or L. Jackson in on passing situations. Finally, I'm convinced we really need a top tier safety for Marv's D to completely work. Smoot is great at man coverage for any team's 2nd receiver, but he is weak against the zone, which makes our weaknesses at safety all the more glaring.

I agree with Trevor that we still need a legitimite #1 WR threat. On the other hand, if we at least had a real burner (a la Hakim), it might open things up for our possession guys. maybe Russell will turn out to be that guy, but I think he is too injury prone to ever pan out.

We definitely gotta re-sign Gardener. He is one nasty DT! We should try to extend Champ during the offseason as well, rather then waiting a year and having him slip thru our hands.

Trevor sums this up well. It is great to be in a position for a change of "merely" needing a few upgrades to make a really good team, rather than needing to replace players in every position. Whether we do this in the draft or with free agents probably determines what space we have left for creating depth. I suppose the draft is better for the depth but the key positions will also be that much cheaper in the long run.

I agree to an extent.

Resign Rock Jansen, hopefully renegotiate S Davis and if his back holds out resign Gardener.

We have R Jones under contract but we still need to get youth in the draft for depth if not starting positions.

Tre J if he is relatively healthy will stick around Stai while there isnt a signing bonus issue with him his base salary is IMO a bit much.

With Darryl Green retiring and the league going 3 WR we are going to have to fill that spot.

Then there is getting a second QB since both gator QBs are on one year deals and by then we should be ready to start Ramsey.

the LAST thing the Redskins should do is draft a receiver #1 again.

what the team lacks is not talent at WR but experience :)

whether it is Willie Jackson or someone else showing the way we need a veteran receiver in here who can assume the #1 mantle at least for awhile to provide stability.

Remember Ellard's first season or two here in DC. He was very productive and came at a reasonable cost.

That is what we need now.

The draft one way or another has to yield us some building blocks at DE and DT as well as OG for the future.

One of the positives is that we have two draft choices from 2002 that were on IR from the beginning of camp, Russell and Royal, and they may be able to come in and provide some impact at WR and TE.

I would at least see what we have in those players taken at #3 and #5 before I think about drafting again at those spots.

Robert Royal looked like the steal of the draft before he went down.

As far as receivers, I think we could use someone who can stretch the field, but I think we can find that in free agency. We had hoped Jacquez Green would be that guy but he does not appear to have the speed we originally thought he had.

It all hinges on bringing Marv back. Hopefully the D will be playing as well as anyone by the end of the year and we can sneak into the playoffs. We need him around for at least another year to fullfill what he has started. But, we need to look like a serious contender for 2003 for him to stay.

Also, Snyder gave him a pretty sweet deal as assistant coach. hopefully throwing his weight around as asst. coach is enough to satisfy any desire he may have to be a head coach somewhere.

Personally, I'm not sure Marv wouldn't be another Ray Rhodes as a head coach: obviously a talented coach, but lacking that little special something to really make it happen

I agree that we should try to keep the roster intact, a few changes that I'd like to see:

RB: If Davis won't renegotiate his contract, cut him and look at bringing in a vet or possibly drafting a RB in the 3rd round (Earnest Graham)

WR: Upgrade the WR position, whether it is through the draft or FA. I would not get into a bidding war for either Boston or Price though. If a WR is the BPA in the 1st, then I would take a WR.

OL: Try our hardest to resign Jansen as he brings more to the team than just his play on the field, but once again, we should not blow the bank. I think the OL must be addressed in the draft early on (Rd.2 or 3) and that a vet should be brought in at a modest price (Mo Collins).

DL: I would like to see our 1st rounder spent on this position as there seems to be pretty good depth at the DL position in this years draft class, if we go in a different direction in the 1st, DL must be addressed in the 2nd. I'd also resign Gardener to a performance based contract & see if Big Daddy would be willing to redo his contract.

LB: Solid here, possibly look at bringing in a successor to Armstead.

SEC: Upgrade the FS position, while Terrel has shown signs, I think he is beeter as a ST player and as nickel back.

Archived