Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Come sit down in the Church of the Painful Truth

Cskin

DEFENSE:

DL-

Griffin & Salaveae crested last year at the top of their game and are now in steep decline. Both oft-injured and playing at considerably lower performances than last year.

Daniels has underachieved and is showing his age as well. Carter simply has not gelled with the scheme and is thinking to much instead of letting his physical talents take over. This may change the more familiar and comfortable he gets in his assignments.

Wynn is where he's supposed to be almost all the time... he's just not a player that takes over games. He's a role player who knows his role.... albeit getting longer in the tooth. D. Evans is a technician that needs others around him to disrupt things so he can find his way to the ball. Will never overmatch his opponent or make a big play.

The rookies.... simply learning the ropes in the NFL. Golsten shows promise... needs to get a bit stronger in the offseason. Montgomery needs more playing time and better understanding of proper technique to gain leverage at the point of attack. Boschetti.... forgotten man probably not strong enough to play in this league.

LB-

Marshall is being exposed by declining play of Big Joe @ C-Griff. They can no longer keep the mauler guards off of Marshall. I also think Marshall started reading his press clippings.

Holdman will never be an above average LB. He plays soundly at times but can't overcome his athletic disadvantages to make the big play. Has lost a step with knee injury.... must play perfect technique in order to be affective... struggles with consistency. McIntosh not taking his job by now is WORRISOME

M. Washington is trying to do to much to overcome the unit's inadequacies and is finding himself out of position and over pursuing the play.

DB-

The loss of Prileau REALLY HURT the cohesion of this unit... I think more than the loss of Ryan Clark last year. He was the third safety brought in coverage passing situations... blitzed effectively... and was a solid tackler. His loss has exposed the rest of the unit as follows.

Archeleta was never to play in coverage... he was the roving Safety to play in the box and attack the line of scrimmage. He's lost confidence in that ability now and finds himself on the bench.

Springs.... oft-injured and past his prime. One more good year in him tops. Rogers....sophomore slump.... and the elevation to #1 corner when Springs went down came to early and didn't help his confidence. Will rebound next year. WRight.... purely nickel....appears to make the same mistake over and over. Jimoh.... can't find the field as a reserve.

Taylor... I believe he's injured.... a shoulder.... and trying to overcome that plus the units problems. Overreacts.... tries for the big hit and turnover instead of wrapping up. Watch the film... he never wraps up anymore.... due to the unannounced shoulder injury.

OFFENSE:

OL-

Rabach not strong enough at POA.... gets bullrushed and prone to blitz as evidenced by yesterday against Bucs. Smart technician who lacks athleticism or mean streak

Dockery is inconsistent.... lacks good balance. Mauls a guy one play... whiffs the next. Bugel has NOT solved this problem.

Thomas is technician who normally wins his battle.... but is beginning to slow and show decline in skills.

Jansen is overated and overpaid. The Achilles injury has permanently stolen his mobility and leg drive. Additionally, the fan accolades have insulated him from criticism. He must be shifted inside to guard, maybe even center, to hide his lack of mobility and push.

Samuels.... overpaid and fat and sassy. Read to many press clippings and bloated self worth due to probowl appearances. Isn't the anchor he was as rookie and is probably ruined from the Spurrier years.

Moss, B-Loyd, and ARE just need more time in this offense to learn how to adjust routes and be more effective for the QB. It appears at times they're just a shade out of place from where they are supposed to be for a big play or chain moving down conversion.

Cooley.... nothing to be said.... a bright spot for this team.

Portis.... doesn't fit this offense of patience and block set-up. He's a stretch play slasher that finds seams.... not a back who sees a running play unfold and reads blocks. Oft-Injured and overused in current scheme.

Betts... 3rd down back only.... not enough vision to be every down back. Great pass receiver.... below average running skills in terms of patience and seam recognition.

Duckett.... he's the back who has patients and needs the ball on a regular basis. Hard to bring down... always lunging forward.... chain mover. He could be a HUGE Larry Johnson type capable of punishing defenses into submission in the second half of games.

Campbell... poised and effective... will get better with experience. With balanced running attack can be a highly successful QB in this league.

There you have it.... the reason we're 3-7 and not 7-3. What should we do this off season? Let's discuss.

#1 offseason priority.......draft some players

enough said, no fancy free agents, nothing ridiculous.

the FO made their bed with the busts they brought in this year they need to sleep in it. Deal with what we have and develop some young guys to take over for the has beens. (with the exception of Archuleta of course, he should be cut right now, or maybe yesterday)

we should draft some D and O lineman, but keep the starters on offense.

keep the whole offense, portis will be back and if this offense is clicking then it will be great, its no longer an offense waiting behind blockers, and even still portis has gotten much better at that.

The only offseason move i will back up will be on defense, and do not overpay whoever it is!!!

The fire needs to be lit on defense, linebacker, maybe D line

Over all i think we should keep our team mostly how it is, we all know deep down what they are capable of

We need Butts, Manley, and Mann back. We need to start getting those D-line gems that we use to. I think that in a nut shell would do wonders for this team.

I think you mean Dave B-U-T-Z!

Seriously, we're not a very good team right now. The only thing that's making me tune in Sundays, continue the pilgrimage to Landover and hold up on making the drastic decision of NOT renewing my tickets is seeing JC under center.

Problems with this post:

I'm tired of the "Portis isn't right for this offense." First, this offense--Al Saunders' offense, uses stretch plays often. But the bigger point is this--you cater what you do around your best players. Build and implement a scheme to take advantage of a special, very expensive and talented Clinton Portis.

Moss, B Lloyd, Randle El- need time to adjust? Don't buy that. They've just needed a QB. They have one now. Look at the patriots, eagles and seahawks. Revamped receiving core has not hindered them much. No excuses are made for them.

TJ Duckett is too slow and really doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as LJ. A poor man's Jerome Bettis, maybe.

I agree that Rabach is a huge liability and that Betts is nothing more than a 3rd down back.

The front seven is simpley weak. All the talk about scheme, playcalling and chemistry is semantics when considering the truth of it all. These guys are weak and slow. Marshall is very weak, as in probably cannot get it done in the weightroom, Holdman is as well as being slow. The D-line has one speed rusher, the rest of the guys outside of Griff are a combination of weak, slow or slowed throughout the game by their age.

One small(er) FA aquisition that'd be nice to have... OL Everyman (has played OG/C/T) Eric Steinbach from Cincy. They've got too much money invested in their OL at this point to be able to hold onto him. Mauler, smart, can play across the line.

week2-7.jpg

Archived