Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Cover 2 Dilemna

RiggoReincarnated

Did anybody else think that when Lloyd and others were talking about the difficulty of the Cover 2 that it was just a bluff directed by Gibbs and that Gibbs had a Master Plan to smash it the next week? Obviously based on the results week after week Lloyd wasn't bluffing. Its amazing to think that this defense could baffle Gibbs/Saunders so much.

I really hope that our difficulties with the Cover 2 were directly related to Mark Brunell and not coaching.

Did anybody else think that when Lloyd and others were talking about the difficulty of the Cover 2 that it was just a bluff directed by Gibbs and that Gibbs had a Master Plan to smash it the next week? Obviously based on the results week after week Lloyd wasn't bluffing. Its amazing to think that this defense could baffle Gibbs/Saunders so much.

I really hope that our difficulties with the Cover 2 were directly related to Mark Brunell and not coaching.

Cover 2 doesn't baffle Gibbs Saunders. Mark couldn't play against it plain and simple.

I expect an offensive blowout tomorrow.

the Cover 2 excuse was just a way for players to blame the offensive production on someone other than Mark

do you not understand that all players are coached not only how to play, but how to answer questions from the media and fans?

it's all propaganda, the sooner you learn that, the better

they know what's wrong and they sure as hell aren't gonna tell the public

the Cover 2 excuse was just a way for players to blame the offensive production on someone other than Mark

do you not understand that all players are coached not only how to play, but how to answer questions from the media and fans?

it's all propaganda, the sooner you learn that, the better

they know what's wrong and they sure as hell aren't gonna tell the public

Bingo. No one was going to come out and say that we could not get the ball deep and open up defenses. Guys here really show there class and do not throw anyone under the bus. It amazes me the way guys support eachother. I never got the chance to really witness the Gibbs 1 teams , but the way riggo talks on his show is that this is a staple of Gibbs teams, the way guys stick together. Its really incredible to see. As bad as things are Joe I have so much respect for you. I hope we can turn this thing around.

Everyone knows you use the middle of the field when a D is in cover 2. Cooley should be having field days!!! Or receivers running to the middle and then trying to get as many YAC as possible. Can't believe the team or whoever would use this excuse and think the fans aren't smart enough to figure it out or know themselves.

Cover 2 was not some propaganda tool they were using to cover up for their offensive production. It just took away the long ball. That's actually what it's supposed to do. That's what Lloyd and everyone else was saying. The way you beat that through the air is to either get a Safety to bite hard on a pump fake/play action, or keep hitting the middle of the field/swings/screens. The best way to beat it is to run the ball well. It's really that simple. You run the ball well, you force Defenses to stop playing Cover 2. We've done that in a few games so far.

We have to be able to run the ball. That's really the problem with us. We run the ball, our offense works most of the time. We don't, we lose and our Defense is on the field a lot allowing the opponent to drive.

The Skins know the "Cover 2" is beatable.

Two favorite techniques used on us.

- Over the top. Isolate a T. Glenn or T.O. against any safety.

- Run. If opposition safeties are deep, good teams should be able to run...

not just used on us

that's how anyone beats the Cover 2... strong run game and the deep pass

you would think our offense would match up perfectly against the Cover 2 considering the RBs and WRs we have scream for an offense focused on running the ball and taking shots deep

Good observation, it could be that we want them to stay in that D and not do anything unexpected. The point is that all D schemes have a weakness. The deep middle is weak on the cover 2, that when Dungy came up with the Tampa cover 2 (dropping the mlb deep). Also just behind or just in front of the lbs can work depending on how deep they drop back. But I think JC can throw the ball deep behind everyone so SM comes back..LOOK OUT

Good observation, it could be that we want them to stay in that D and not do anything unexpected. The point is that all D schemes have a weakness. The deep middle is weak on the cover 2, that when Dungy came up with the Tampa cover 2 (dropping the mlb deep). Also just behind or just in front of the lbs can work depending on how deep they drop back. But I think JC can throw the ball deep behind everyone so SM comes back..LOOK OUT

For whateva reason, and I think we all know what that reason is, but the horse died weeks ago, Mark wasn't able to utilize the middle of the field, which as you stated, is the weakness of the cover 2. Even if you drop a MLB deep to help take away the middle, that should give the guys up front a decisive advantage in the run game.

Still doesn't mean that JC won't take too many steps in his drop and walks himself into a sack (like Pat used to always do) or fumble a snap, or try too hard to force the action after the defense lets us down again.

Uh...I'm not too optimistic about our chances, I don't know what we're doing anymore. We barely even gave the poor guy a shot in pre-season, and now we're expecting him to win against an experienced defense w/o Santana Moss...

I'm getting off topic.

Archived