Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Monk Once Again a Finalist for HOF

Jimbo

You know if they exclude Art monk the Hall it has no Fame. Sure Joe Gibbs is there and deserves to be. This Hall isn't much of a Who's Who of players without a record breaker like Art Monk. If they let that Coke snorting micheal Irvin in and Don't put in Art Monk I believe the Hall is a corupted piece of #@##. I would go further to say that Joe Gibbs is too good of a Coach to be put in a Shameful crackpot association if its too good for Art monk. Let me stop cause next i am about to point out is great catches and great play of a true super star.

]']He still won't get in.

Now' date=' if he rocked a cowboys jersey, than he woulda made it years ago....[/quote']

Yeah, or if he would have been a prima-donna T.O type attention whore, instead Monk always handled everything with class , . Its truly a crime that Art is still not a hall a famer, he should have been inducted years ago.

I agree with you on Chris. For a LB who is only one ProBowl short of LT... this is a no brainer. Also, simply one of the best tacklers I've ever seen in the NFL.

Rich Gosselin of the Dallas Morning News agrees with us:

Hall of Fame snub list too long (8/1)

12:24 PM CDT on Saturday, August 5, 2006

I don't know Maxie Baughan but I feel bad for him. Same with Chris Hanburger.

The two former NFL linebackers both were selected to nine Pro Bowls but neither has ever been a finalist for the Pro Football Hall of Fame. The record for Pro Bowls by a linebacker is 10, held by Hall of Famers Joe Schmidt, Mike Singletary and Lawrence Taylor.

One of the chief selling points for former Giants linebacker Harry Carson, who will be enshrined this weekend, was that he went to nine Pro Bowls. He was a finalist for the Hall seven times, which means he was discussed by the full voting panel seven times.

Neither Baughan, who played 12 NFL seasons and won a championship at Philadelphia (1960), and Hanburger, who played 14 seasons with the Redskins, has ever been discussed by the full selection committee.

That's a travesty. Do they belong in Canton? Who knows? But I do know they deserve to be discussed. Nine Pro Bowls ought to get you to the table.

Linebacker Les Richter played in eight Pro Bowls and tight end Charlie Sanders seven. Like Baughan and Hanburger, they have never been finalists and have never been discussed. They too have been short-changed by the Hall of Fame selection process.

These players went to six Pro Bowls apiece and have never been finalists: linebacker Chuck Howley, wide receiver Billy Wilson, center Mick Tinglehoff, quarterback John Hadl and defensive tackle Roger Brown.

These players were NFL all-decade selections who went to five Pro Bowls apiece: linebackers Tommy Nobis and Joe Fortunato and cornerback Louis Wright.

These players were NFL all-decade selections who went to four Pro Bowls apiece: defensive tackle Alex Karras and Ed Sprinkle, fullback Alan Ameche and cornerback Jack Butler.

These men were NFL all-decade selections who went to three Pro Bowls apiece: guard Howard Mudd, linebacker Dave Robinson and safety Dick Anderson.

The Hall of Fame selection committee, by the way, picks the all-decade teams. If you're considered one of the best players of your era, you ought to be considered one of the best players in NFL history.

But not a one of those players has ever been a finalist for the Pro Football Hall of Fame. All deserve to be discussed, but all are now in the seniors pool of candidates. Only two come out each year for consideration. It's too late for most of them to have their Hall of Fame candidacies saved.

And that's a shame. Charge this fumble to the Hall of Fame.

I hope I am wrong, but it appears the Shrine is out of reach for Art.

Art was a great WR. He has the stats to show it, and was a big part of the Skins offense. Unfortunately, he was a possession WR and not the flashy one that seem to make it into the HOF.

Best wishes... You deserve a HOF ring! :point2sky Wish there was 81!

I read somehwere that there is a group of writers who refuse to vote for any other WRs (except for Rice & Carter) until Monk is voted in.

Concerning Peter King...if he had his way Lynn Swann would still be on the outside looking in...so eventually the fat-guy will be defeated.

How does the whole voting for the Hall work, anyway?

How many voters and who are they? Its hard to believe that one or two guys have the capability to keep an Art Monk out for christs' sake. And if this is the case, then the whole system is flawed.

There is no arguement here. The man retired as the greatest reciever the league had seen, statisticly, plus he won 3 rings, and played in a fourth. This garbage about being a possession reciever, Im not hearing it. The man was awesome, clutch. And on top of it all, one of the all time classiest guys the league has ever seen.

I think they need to put more guys in the hof each year that way guys like Art Monk won't get screwed over. They need to lay off the old timers, and borderline players, and put in an actual great-Monk. I have never seen them screw over such a deserving guy like they have Monk. I mean damn, really what else could he have done.

It's a pretty weak year as far as first time eligible players go. Best chance Monk has had in a while to make it in. If he can't make it in this year, he never will.

I heard someone mention this same thought on NFL Network a couple of months ago...basically said that if Monk doesn't get in this year, he never will. Reasoning - there are some big number WR's who become eligible for the HOF over the next few years who will move ahead of Monk on many people's lists. They named several WR's...don't remember who exactly...but I think it was the likes of Cris Carter and Tim Brown and maybe one or two others.

Like others, if Monk is in, then I'm going to the ceremony. But if not, then I refuse to visit the HOF.

Archived