Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

No should think about blaming Dockery for causing the O-Line issues

Joncevensen

Many think Dockery is inconsistent, here is my defense of him, and why we should re-sign him.

1. Run Blocking The consensus around the league is that Dockery is one of the top five run blocking LG in the NFL. Based off the metrics, he and Samuels are in the top five. This is no doubt because he went to Texas. In fact, everyone but Rabach and Thomas (i dont know where they went to school) went to colleges famous for running games. Except, Dockery is never called out on TV for not clearing his hole.

2. Screen Blocking No matter how much some of us hate, the Redskins love the screen play. Dockery is always out front on these plays. He can move down field, and delievers crucial blocks to spring moss or whomever the receiver is.

3, Pass Blocking Sure his not the greatest, but guess what, his not giving up the sacks this year. The sacks have came off the edge cuz Samuels has to cover two guys, and the back doesn't stay in and block.

4. Penalties Dockery is not called on that many false starts anymore. Its just that

5. THE BIG ONE Continuity ALL OF US, complain that this team doesnt keep its homegrown talent and brings in sexy free agents. Dockery is the perfect moment for all of us to put our money were our mouth is. His starting for us, his doing quite fine now. This is a unit that has been together for over three years now, and the other four another year before Rabach. Sure in two seasons we may have to replace jansen or rabach, but it can be gradual. And also, they're gonna be over thirty, and will stay as back ups. So the chemistry will remain. Dockery is young, hungry, and improving. If we want to start defining who a Redskins player is, i think Dockery is the perfect example. Gritty player, loves to run the ball, makes a mistake, but always tries to improve.

I think we should pray that Dockery is a Skin in '07.

On a least one or two plays Dockery failed to pick up the interior bliz. I remember watching the game and Samuels talking to him after the play indicating he blew his read. He has been in the league long enough to know how to read a blitz.

As I said, pass blocking not his strong suit, but after that, did he miss a read? Understand, i dont think they focused much on passing when he was at UT. I think it was who could run block the best.

Not sure pass blocking really is that big a problem for this team anyway.

From my perspective on TV Brunell seems to have the time he needs.

If anything, the team needs better run blocking. The run game has been hit and miss all year.

Of course, much of that may be do to an uneffective passing game. But, thats a debate for another thread.

Either way, except for the continuity factor I'm undecided on keeping Dock. I'm big on some continuity though so pass the Dock come offseason.

Not sure pass blocking really is that big a problem for this team anyway.

From my perspective on TV Brunell seems to have the time he needs.

If anything, the team needs better run blocking. The run game has been hit and miss all year.

Of course, much of that may be do to an uneffective passing game. But, thats a debate for another thread.

Either way, except for the continuity factor I'm undecided on keeping Dock. I'm big on some continuity though so pass the Dock come offseason.

Pass blocking isnt exaclty the strong suit either.

All I know is that when we blitzed 6, 7 guys Philly's O-line were able to pick up the blitz and give mcnaab time. When they blitzed 6-7 guys at least 2 of em would get through and after Brunell. Every last one of them deserves to get blamed.

Here is a math equation 4 Philly defenders (2 linemen + 2 blitzers) v. Samuels and Dockery with no help (watch the tape, i didnt believe when i saw it, i needed to rewind the tivo) = brunell rushed.

The consensus around the league is that Dockery is one of the top five run blocking LG in the NFL.

I have to disagree on this big time. I do not think he is even close.

Dockery probably had his worst game of the season today. It is probably a bad time to bring this up if you're pitching to resign him.

First of all, please, please show something that corroborates "the consensus around the league" thing.

As far as the screen play thing, I guess it is all a matter of opinion. I must always open my eyes at the screen plays when Doc is getting beasted by either a LB, S or CB.

I actually think that Doc's pass blocking is what keeps him in the starting line up, because when he run blocks or blocks during a screen pass, he is very clumsy and much too timid for a player his size.

I have been drastically disappointed with our OL run blocking this season. They talk the talk just fine. They always rave about how much they love to run block and play smash mouth football. But it's one thing to say it and another altogether to execute it and this OL has not been effective enough to merit the identity of a brutal group that beats you man up at the line of scrimmage.

I definitely saw the plays where Dockery missed blitz pickups.

Also, has anyone noticed how different other offenses around the NFL look in their passing game? Most QB's I see actually stand in the pocket look downfield and throw downfield. Our passing attack is significantly limited.

Archived