Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

If the Redskins were to replay one game this year..

Eagles_Legendz

Green Bay. If Shane had started that day, we would have won. Ramsey just didn't have it and missed tons of opportunites.

I was going to say New Orleans, but with the special teams botches, there's not telling.

Our D played its way back into the Green Bay game and the qb just wasn't able to take advantage of any of the opportunities. Plus the fact that Ramsey fumbled, what about four times, :doh:

Originally posted by riggo-toni

I'm curious on your perspective on the following - I've always thought McNabb would be even more explosive in a vertical passing game like Minnesota's, instead of the usual WCO? Any thoughts?

I've said before that from day one McNabb should have been in a vertical O. Get some speed receivers (which the team didn't have when he was drafted) to stretch the field, run a TE and/ or RB out to the flat or across the middle, and that, in most instances, will leave all sorts of open running lanes for McNabb to stretch his legs if he needed or wanted to. He's got a great arm and good touch on his deep balls when he has time to set his feet.

Now that the offense is being "opened up" he's getting more a chance to feature his arm and make throws that are upfield rather then to the sidelines. It's working out, but I don't see where this three year learning curve has to be used. I don't see anything the team is doing no that they couldn't have at least attempted in year two of the Reid regime.

As for Davis... don't need him and I doubt the FO would want him at this point. We have enough backs (whoa... did I just say that?? About the Eagles??) that Davis would be wasting our money and wasting his talent on a team where he wouldn't be a vital need. In fact, if I were you guys, I'd be more worried about him slipping away to the Giants of the Cowboys both of which could use Davis in their offense. The Giants more so to take the burden off Tiki, but if Emmitt retires this year, like he should (great player, but he's hampering the team), then the Cowboys would need a good back. I don't think Hambrick or Wiley have what it takes to pick up the slack. And being here in TX I get to see both of them enough.

Oh, and if you guys get your O to be more consistant, your team can make some noise from here on out. The Giants can't score points and the Cowboys just aren't good. I'm not going to say that I think you'll be contending for a playoff spot, the NFC South just looks too tough to be honest, but if you start getting consistent play you'll be setting a strong foundation on O for next year. The only question you'll then have is about M. Lewis if he up and runs leaving your D in the lurch for a fourth straight year.

TE - I agree you guys have plenty of RBs, but I don't think you have anybody who can consistently pound it up the middle. Staley is great when he's healthy, but he gets hurt quite a bit. You certainly have a great variety of pass-catching backs, but I'm still a disciple of Gibbs/Parcells O - having a tough powerback taking it up the middle to force the safeties inside, thus setting up the pass. To me, all that's missing from your O is someone like Davis, and a real #1 threat WR.

Riggo, I agree, a power back like Davis to pound the middle would be great for the Eagles. Unfortunately, Reid is still the coach and his O doesn't feature powerbacks. So we have RBs like Staley, Dorsey, Buck and Westbrook. The "prototypical" smallish-speedy types that are more finesse type runners (by finesse I mean speed and agility as opposed to a Riggins and Davis type of head down run you over) with good hands.

I'd love a "smash and dash" offense, but that's not what we have, so a powerback isn't a need. It'd be a waste of talent given the O that the Eagles run. Unfortunately. I'd love a change of offense that was tailored to the personel we have rather then to a "scheme." But, they run what they run. . . luckily it's been successful.

Originally posted by TexasEagle

Riggo, I agree, a power back like Davis to pound the middle would be great for the Eagles. Unfortunately, Reid is still the coach and his O doesn't feature powerbacks. So we have RBs like Staley, Dorsey, Buck and Westbrook. The "prototypical" smallish-speedy types that are more finesse type runners (by finesse I mean speed and agility as opposed to a Riggins and Davis type of head down run you over) with good hands.

I'd love a "smash and dash" offense, but that's not what we have, so a powerback isn't a need. It'd be a waste of talent given the O that the Eagles run. Unfortunately. I'd love a change of offense that was tailored to the personel we have rather then to a "scheme." But, they run what they run. . . luckily it's been successful.

But Reid is a Holmgren disciple, as was Mike Sherman. If Sherman is running essentially the same offense with Ahman Green at TB, it's not too far-fetched that Philly could.

Other WCO teams with a smashmouth component: SF, Denver. So it can work :)

Oh yes, it can work. But Reid's been so freakin' pass happy (until recently) running has been an after thought. It looks like he's getting over that "pass first" need that seems to drive him in his play calling, and I hope that he sticks with it for the remainder of the year because it takes much needed pressure off McNabb.

I just can't say I feel confident, at this point, that Reid will see the continual importance of a good running game (not passes that sub for runs) and adjust the offience accordingly from here on out. But if Spurrier can do it, then Reid can too right? ;) Either way, it'll be interesting to see how things shake out for the Eagles O for the rest of the year.

Archived