Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Duckett and play calling

ahnicaricoohh

So are we ever gonna use Duckett or did we really get him just so the Eagles couldn't the end of that first drive would have been a perfect time to use him, dont get me wrong I am not complaining about a win but some of the play calling still baffles me like a run on 3rd n 26 when you're down.

I'm starting to think when Rock, Sellers, and Betts made a big fuss about the signing of Duckett, this coaching staff took it to heart. Maybe they don't want to stir anything up or hurt anyones' ego, so they let a 260 pound battering ram in Duckett on the bench. When they got to the 5 yardline I was really expecting a pass to Sellers or a run straight up the gut with Duckett. I guess the Redskins just sign guys to keep them away from other teams. Pretty much like the Yankees do. I don't know what to say anymore. Not scoring seven points with 7 downs to use is really pitiful. I'm happy they won, but it's crap like this that will haunt this team when it's all said and done. If Sellers or Duckett carries the ball down there it's a sure Touch Down.

Actually it went like this

1st and goal at 2 PORTIS STOPPED

2nd and goal from 1 PORTIS STOPPED

3rd and goal from 1 BETTS STOPPED

4th and goal from 1 PORTIS STOPPED

and as far as I know...Duckett WAS active and standing there WAITING TO GO IN...

boooooo...cut Duckett now if you aren't going to play him!!!

sorry...it was actually like this

1-4-DAL4 (9:51) C.Portis left tackle to DAL 3 for 1 yard (D.Ware, J.Ratliff).

2-3-DAL3 (9:14) C.Portis right guard to DAL 4 for -1 yards (R.Fowler).

3-4-DAL4 (8:35) M.Brunell pass incomplete short left to A.Randle El.

PENALTY on DAL-T.Newman, Defensive Holding, 2 yards, enforced at DAL 4 - No Play.

1-2-DAL2 (8:30) C.Portis right end to DAL 1 for 1 yard (R.Fowler, T.Newman).

2-1-DAL1 (7:54) C.Portis up the middle to DAL 1 for no gain (R.Fowler, M.Spears).

3-1-DAL1 (7:14) L.Betts left end to DAL 1 for no gain (R.Williams, B.James).

4-1-DAL1 (6:40) C.Portis up the middle to DAL 1 for no gain (B.James, J.Ferguson).

Atlanta had tremendous success with Duckett in those situations.As a matter of fact Warrick Dunn,half jokingly half serious,said he was pissed because he would get them close to the goal and Duckett would cash in on the td.I would of loved to see him in there in that situation.UNless they want to keep him healthy for trade bait next season.

3-1-DAL1 (7:14) L.Betts left end to DAL 1 for no gain (R.Williams, B.James).

That's the part that kills me. Ladell is a HORRIBLE short yardage back. No reason to use him there. He should be behind Portis, Duckett, Sellers, even Cartwright in those situations. All have been proven to be better on 3rd and short.

You'd think with the lack of success Portis and Betts are having in goal-line situations, Gibbs, the master adjustor himself, would give either Duckett or Sellers a try down there. I liked it when we rolled the dice on fourth down. I didn't like our execution.

Atlanta had tremendous success with Duckett in those situations.As a matter of fact Warrick Dunn,half jokingly half serious,said he was pissed because he would get them close to the goal and Duckett would cash in on the td.I would of loved to see him in there in that situation.UNless they want to keep him healthy for trade bait next season.

sorry Christopher...but they can't trade Duckett for next season b/c he is a free agent and will run...not walk from the Redskins the second the season is over and sign with another team.

THIS is why the trade for a 3rd round pick was soooooo bad....you had him for 7 months...that's it!

So are we ever gonna use Duckett or did we really get him just so the Eagles couldn't the end of that first drive would have been a perfect time to use him, dont get me wrong I am not complaining about a win but some of the play calling still baffles me like a run on 3rd n 26 when you're down.

I thought that play calling was horrible at times...at least the running plays. Why did we keep trying to run up the middle? Our success running the ball has been around the ends.

I really didn't understand why we didn't use Duckett at least once. We could have at least used him as a decoy and did a play action pass. I think Duckett could have pounded it in there. Why bring Betts in instead of Duckett??? Only thing I can figure is they thought the Cowboys would think they were gonna pass if Betts was in there.

I still find it unbelievable that Duckett wasn't brought in at the goal line. I also agree with the comment about running it around the end. I thought we'd see at least on toss or sweep outside.

MC

I have to say that I have lost some respect for Gibbs. Signing a guy and not playing him, esentially placing his very short career in limbo, is a disgrace. Football aside, this is just a flat out shameful, greedy move by Joe.

And for someone that preaches ethics... :rolleyes:

sorry Christopher...but they can't trade Duckett for next season b/c he is a free agent and will run...not walk from the Redskins the second the season is over and sign with another team.

THIS is why the trade for a 3rd round pick was soooooo bad....you had him for 7 months...that's it!

Yeah and the way things happen for us he'll end up in the NFC East next year...

I wondered yesterday the same thing, why not Duckett?? I have been waiting to see him in there in these situations. but....I went back and watched that first drive again in slow motion on the DVR and what I saw was this.....

It wouldn't have mattered who was running the ball, there was zero place to go with a pile of bodies between the backfield and the end zone. This was the case on every play where the Skins were trying to punch it in there. At first I thought the O line just wasn't performing for crap but the Dallas D played that drive a certain way and dictated that outcome. If you can go back and watch it, you'll se this. Every one of those downs, there is at least one and often two or three of the Dallas D that doesn't even try to penetrate, they immediately just dive for the knees of the Skins O linemen and take them down instantly, when they went down after that they usually were rolled into another one of the Oline and took him out too. This results in a pile of bodies with linebacker support, no RB is getting through that. As an Olineman how do you counter this? I don't know....but the Dllas D used this technique for all of the running downs there at the goal line. TJ is a freight train and I have been dying to see him in these situations but I doubt that even TJ could move the pile when it already on the ground before he gets to it.

The one chance there was to beat this scheme was the dive attempt by CP but that fell short becasue Roy Williams got around the tackle and clipped CP's feet as he was trying to leap over the heap. Had Roy Williams not gotten there it could have been a different jump .

That being said....A different play called there would have taken that technique out of the picture, the RB doesn't care if there is a pile of people in the middle if he is off running towards the pylon.

Gibbs conservative play calling is killing us. Portis is not a short yardage back. We have Sellers, Duckett and Rock and we keep shoving shifty Portis in there? Gibbs is not the same coach he used to be because he simply doesn't have the personnel he used to. He misses a "Riggins, Rogers, Riggs" big back he had back in the day.

The Ironic thing is TJ Duckett fits that type of Back to the tee.

Archived