Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why don't we use max protect pass blocking anymore?

casey56

I searched for this on the forum but came up with nothing so I figured I'd ask. Why don't we use max protect anymore? We did that last year and it actually gave Brunell time to throw it downfield. I know Saunders is a fan of sending the RB out on passing downs but why send him out to catch a 4-yard pass when we can have him pass block and have Brunell hit a WR for a 20-yard pass? Let's be honest - Ladell Betts is no Larry Johnson. He might get a few big gains but for the most part he's not going very far on a check-down pass. As for Portis, it seems to me that he's always on the sidelines on third and long. Maybe that's just me but it seems to always be Betts that Brunell checks down to.

I think Saunders is being too stubborn to take the RB out of the pass game. But what else can we do? Brunell is not getting time to throw the ball and the defenses are feasting on him on third downs, sending 6 or 7 guys because they know that 95% of the time he'll check down to the RB. The O-line is also left exposed when that happens. It seems to make a lot of sense to go back to our max protect scheme. Portis is also a beast pass blocker. I mean we have to do something to save this offense. Any thoughts?

The running back is an important part of his passing game. He sends recievers downfield and its up to the quarterback to make quick decisions and get the bal outta there. Now once the QB has gone through all his reads, which should be quite quick as this is a timing based offense, he then has the rb as a safety valve as opposed to throwing it away. This at least provides the opportunity for a play to be made even when other options are covered. However I wholeheartedly believe that Brunell doesn't even make it through half of his progression before he checks down.

yeah i noticed that portis is never on third downs. is it just me, or is saunders' man crush on betts getting kinda irritating?

to answer your question, it seems to me personally that the offensive line is getting quite overwhelmed this year. i dunno whether it's bad technique, or whether they're too many defenders, but somethings not kosher with our line.

However I wholeheartedly believe that Brunell doesn't even make it through half of his progression before he checks down.

Hard to make it through your progressions with a 6'5 monstor breathing down your neck b/c of a lack of pass pro 50% of the time. Brunell had time last year, he doesn't this year. Max pro isn't a bad thing once in a while, but its passe' for the most part now; unless of course your getting blitzed every other down, which we aren't. This new system is more complex than your check down theory desioreo. RB's have reads in the passing game now where last year they either stayed in to block, ran routes, or delayed. Its not all Brunell here.

HTTR

If we are max protecting then Cooley wont be involved in the passing game...Besides w/a timing based passing attack you shouldnt have to max protect b/c the ball should be out of the QB's hands...

We did Max Protect last year and if you remember Cooley was more involved in our passing game then he is this year. (3TDs AGAINST THE COWBOYS BABY!!)

If we have an elite line like it says we should on paper, and our guys can actually block, we shouldn't need to max protect.

I agree that we shouldn't have to do it, but it just hasn't been working this year. Jansen and Samuels are not playing up to par and Brunell doesn't have a decent amount of time to throw the ball. Ideally we should be running the Saunders offense well but we're not and I think our line needs help. I say we run max protect on third down, or at least keep Betts in the backfield to block. I'd happily sacrifice a 4-yard gain by Betts for a 30-yard gain to a WR.

I disagree that max protect is passe these days. In fact, many teams took notice of Gibbs' scheme last year once it became obvious that the max protect could help an older QB like Brunell. I distinctly remember analysts mentioning the max protect scheme last year, not just when speaking of the Redskins...I just can't remember what other teams have been utilizing it.

Archived