Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The timing is all off

Spaceman Spiff

This whole season has lead me to think about the timing of things...Some will say timing in life is everything. And if it isn't, it plays a large role in a lot of things.

Here we have this 2-5 team who made a great run at the end of last year, who arguably was a few pieces away from getting to the NFC championship game and quite possibly, the Super Bowl.

Overhauling an offense when a team is set up to for success is an example of bad timing. Offenses should be overhauled in a rebuilding phase. What did we have to rebuild after last season?

The quarterback situation is another example. We have a team that is built to win now, yet we have a QB who can't keep up. We have a young QB waiting in the wings, yet it looks like Gibbs is willing to ride the storm out with Brunell.

If Campbell only plays a game or two this year, 2007 will be the year that everyone says "Well, he needs this year in the system," the readymade excuse we have when a new offense is brought in or new players are brought to the table.

If Gibbs and Co. have screwed one thing up during this regime, it's the timing of these two moves.

The good news is that time hasn't run out. Yet.

Actually, one might say that overhaulling the offense ended up being good timing, because the defense has been so poor that they would have been wasting any good efforts by the offense. (As they have already.)

As Om has said, if the defense had played up to expectations, we'd still be in the middle of things.

As to why, I think Gibbs was looking to the future of the franchise. He's build this team for success now and for the future. It is just that things aren't working out quite as planned.

Even if Campbell doesn't play that much this year, I have a feeling Campbell will be ready to take over next year, particularly if everything is focused to get him ready. While we could struggle out of the gate (when have we not under Gibbs II?), we will probably finish strong, and there are always opportunities at the end of the year to pick up a few games.

Jason

While we could struggle out of the gate (when have we not under Gibbs II?), we will probably finish strong, and there are always opportunities at the end of the year to pick up a few games.

Jason

Actually we started last yr at 3-0 and played great in 2 losing efforts following the 3-0 start.

I agree with the timing on Brunell but if you look at how we played last season it was our defense that carried us and our offense needed an overhaul badly. It is one of those 1 step back wards to take 2 steps forward. We were offensively inept in a majority of games last year and especially in the playoffs.

Scott

Archived