Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WT: Redskins Mailbag 11-1 (re JC)

redskinsunshine

http://www.washtimes.com/sports/20061101-120011-8864r.htm

By Ryan O'Halloran

Q
: Do you think Gibbs is hurting Jason Campbell's confidence and development by not giving him a chance when Brunell is obviously struggling? Part of him must wonder whether the coaches believe in him. — Al

A
: Interesting question and theory. If I'm Campbell and I'm seeing Matt Leinart struggle the last two weeks in Arizona, I'm saying, "Thank goodness I'm not in that situation." But if I'm Campbell and I'm seeing Vince Young win two straight for Tennessee, Charlie Frye get a chance in Cleveland and Tony Romo sits to pee getting a road win for Dallas in his first start, I might be thinking, "Our starting quarterback is struggling, too. Why can't I get my chance?" The feeling I get around Redskin Park is that the offensive coaches' faith in Campbell has grown since the beginning of the season. They wouldn't have been comfortable starting him in Week 1 but feel he could manage a game properly — with the occasional mistake.

But Campbell isn't playing against Dallas because Gibbs doesn't want to give the impression he has given up on the Redskins making a miraculous turnaround.

Q
: Will the team support a change if Gibbs decides to switch quarterbacks? — Jim Brewer

A
: A locker room split was possible had Gibbs benched Brunell in favor of Campbell (or, for that matter, Todd Collins) during the bye week. There is a piece of that locker room that still believes — even though they're 2-5 and have a tough remaining schedule — that they can right the ship and make a playoff run. There is another piece of the locker room that is about reality — put Campbell in now or in the next few weeks to see whether he's the guy for 2007.

There is another piece of the locker room that is about reality — put Campbell in now or in the next few weeks to see whether he's the guy for 2007.
I don't think you can really tell what you have from a quarterback's first eight or nine games in the league. I think he'll be the guy in 2007 no matter what, even if he stinks it up.

There is a piece of that locker room that still believes — even though they're 2-5 and have a tough remaining schedule — that they can right the ship and make a playoff run.

I am glad to see some haven't lost the faith. However, a poor first half this weekend will probably dash that hope.

I don't think you can really tell what you have from a quarterback's first eight or nine games in the league. I think he'll be the guy in 2007 no matter what, even if he stinks it up.

Yeah, but you might have to think about a stronger backup, just in case he fails. I think Brunell would probably retire, rather than return as a backup.

Yeah, but you might have to think about a stronger backup, just in case he fails. I think Brunell would probably retire, rather than return as a backup.

Either Collins or Brunell will still be on the team next season. As poor as Collins looked in preseason, he could be the guy. That being said, Brunell still has a huge contract. :doh:

Yes they will need to bring in another younger backup.

http://www.washtimes.com/sports/20061101-120011-8864r.htm

By Ryan O'Halloran

Q
: Do you think Gibbs is hurting Jason Campbell's confidence and development by not giving him a chance when Brunell is obviously struggling? Part of him must wonder whether the coaches believe in him. — Al

A
: Interesting question and theory. If I'm Campbell and I'm seeing Matt Leinart struggle the last two weeks in Arizona, I'm saying, "Thank goodness I'm not in that situation." But if I'm Campbell and I'm seeing Vince Young win two straight for Tennessee, Charlie Frye get a chance in Cleveland and Tony Romo sits to pee getting a road win for Dallas in his first start, I might be thinking, "Our starting quarterback is struggling, too. Why can't I get my chance?" The feeling I get around Redskin Park is that the offensive coaches' faith in Campbell has grown since the beginning of the season. They wouldn't have been comfortable starting him in Week 1 but feel he could manage a game properly — with the occasional mistake.

But Campbell isn't playing against Dallas because Gibbs doesn't want to give the impression he has given up on the Redskins making a miraculous turnaround.

Q
: Will the team support a change if Gibbs decides to switch quarterbacks? — Jim Brewer

A
: A locker room split was possible had Gibbs benched Brunell in favor of Campbell (or, for that matter, Todd Collins) during the bye week. There is a piece of that locker room that still believes — even though they're 2-5 and have a tough remaining schedule — that they can right the ship and make a playoff run. There is another piece of the locker room that is about reality — put Campbell in now or in the next few weeks to see whether he's the guy for 2007.

Six on one side, have a dozen on the other. He could be Tony Romo sits to pee in his first game or he could struggle like Matt Leinart. The bottom line is that you just don't know what's going to happen. Yes, I want to see him in the line-up as a starter, too. But, just because you make a QB switch doesn't mean our problems are solved.

Archived