Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mr Gibbs current tenure has set this franchise back 5yrs!

318 SKIN

Mr Gibbs tenure has set this franchise back 5yrs! I got completely blasted for this post after the 2005 draft - maybe it's time to revisit just to prove a point. For the record - Ware taken #11 (Rodgers #9) and Webster #11 2nd round, 43rd overall (traded later round picks to move up 2 spots to draft JC). Ware is becoming the beast and Webster a solid starter for the 1st place Giants. Using our 4th round pick we also gave up we could have taken WR Sammy Parker 9th pick in the 4th round. In retrospect I don't think it was the dumbest post ever. I think it also illustrates how a franchise harms itselve long term by giving away picks to get aging vets.

Original Post in 2005:

Passing on Demarcus Ware may come back to haunt us. Just a what if - Had we taken Demarcus Ware a game breaking D-end/LB and traded our 24th pick for a 2nd rounder and recoup our 3rd rounder given away for Brunnell. We could have taken Cory Webster at corner (#1 rated Corner in 2003 & would have been 1st corner taken that year - injury tainted senior season). 3rd rounder could have been the big receiver so badly needed.

Demarcus Ware 2005 combine stats:

Weight 250lbs

40 yd dash - 4.56

vert leap - 38 1/2

bench press - 430lbs

broad jump - 10' 7"

This is Just 1 man's observation.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Congrats - this might be the dumbest post I've seen this season.

Ware has a similar skill set to - not 1, not 2, but 3 players on our team: M Washington, Lavar Arrington, and Chris Clemons. And you want to bring in a 4th guy to that position? Sheesh. Now he's most likely a better pass rusher than any of these guys but I'm not exactly sure the guy would have even started this season or anytime in the future. The only way to justify drafting him is to play him at end and it's no lock he'd be most effective there. In fact, I doubt he would. At 247, he's not big enough to take tackles head on and will need to rush the passer "by surprise." He's in the position he should be - as a 3-4 OLB. Unless you were somehow planning to completely revamp the defense to a 3-4 so Ware can be most effective, there was really no reason to take the guy. Why mess with a good thing?

11. Please do not use the “Quote” feature to quote huge blocks of text or pictures.

If you would like to respond to the contents of a particular post, simply quote the sentence or idea that you're commenting upon, not necessarily the entire post. It wastes space on the database and unnecessarily extends and clutters threads.

This is Just 1 man's observation.

Correct.

So I assume you would have been happier with Spurrier and friends?

Gibbs has had a ton of work to do with this team. Regardless of their record this year, this team shows up week in and week out and competes. I'd take that any day over the Spurrier, Schottenheimer, Turner eras.

By the way, when was the last time this team won a playoff game before last year? That's right, under Turner, the last coach hired by Jack Kent Cooke.

This team is light years ahead of where it was in Spurrier's last year.

That's quite a tough post, but it has facts behind it as far as the draft goes........

I don't think the jury is out on Gibbs 2.0 yet. I'll give him until next year (his legacy deserves at least that)..

I may have been a little harsh - I really think we as a franchise lack the confidence to eval young talent so we take the easy way out and cut corners to sign proven vets.

318 SKIN lets talk about how Gibbs set the team back when he finishes his tour. If the franchise is worse off then I will so you are right. Now I am not going accept that he has set us back. I believe you are speaking of the big picture so I think its important to let the whole picture play out. The movie's not over yet my friend.

:doh:

Another resident Nostradamus. :cool:

I specially like how you mention "5 years". Where did you come up with that number? Why not 4, why not 3, why not 2, why not 4.5? Are you sure you read your tea leaves right this morning?

Just pulled it out of the air - why don't you pick a #.

Yeah we're worse off having Gibbs then Spurrier. Whatever dude. Gibbs is the best thing that has happened since Snyder bought the franchise.

Using Spurrier to set the bar is kinda sad. I guess Gibb's is the best thing to happen since Snyder bought the club - what does that say about Snyder?

11. Please do not use the “Quote” feature to quote huge blocks of text or pictures.

If you would like to respond to the contents of a particular post, simply quote the sentence or idea that you're commenting upon, not necessarily the entire post. It wastes space on the database and unnecessarily extends and clutters threads.

PLEASE SHUT UP THANKS! :D

Much like the rest of your argument.

One player cannot make a team win in football. Did having Reggie White help Philadelphia win anything back in the late 80's and early 90's?

Just making a point about giving away the future by giving away your draft.

Archived