Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

HEY Snyder & Vinny : FYI about Free Agents

Robbnva

1st I know this is a little off toipic but I heard the Head Coach of the Washington Capitals on the radio this morning and they were talking about their current rebuilding process and their free agent aqusitions and he brought up a very good point that Snyder & Vinny should think about doing (or maybe to whoever is head of player personnell for the off season.

I am summarizing and paraphrasing.

He said that they did not want to sign older free agents who may be more talented but will have fewer years to offer his team. It is better to go and sign a younger up and coming player who you can lock in to a 5 or 6 year deal as oppsed to get somebody who is at the top/or headiing to the end of his career. I think last year was a little better, but I am afraid that if this season ends the way everybody is predicting then somebody will want to sign some major free agents this offseason.

If we are really trying to build a team for the future we need to make sure the players are going to be here when the future arrives.

I have ideas for them too.

- Pay our role players instead of sending them away in favor or more expensive free agent. Clark should still be here, so should Pierce.

- Stop trading away draft picks for little in return. The Duckett situation should cost someone their job.

- Pay our role players instead of sending them away in favor or more expensive free agent. Clark should still be here, so should Pierce.

- Stop trading away draft picks for little in return. The Duckett situation should cost someone their job.

Agreed on both your points, especially the draft picks. Also there is a reason our FA hardly ever leave DC w/out signing a contract, b/c their agents know there is no way in hell they would get more elsewhere.

As for the theme of the thread, I like the way the Caps are building their team and many times have thought how nice it would be if the Skins would do the same.

If we are really trying to build a team for the future we need to make sure the players are going to be here when the future arrives.

I guess you haven't been paying too much attention. That's what the Skins are doing. It was the prime lesson that Snyder and Cerrato learned after 2000.

The problem is, for most of those type of players, you need to trade for them in the NFL, since most of the good ones get locked up by the teams that draft them. Also, once they hit the FA market, their price goes up.

So, what is usually left are players who have underperformed. So, you do your research and decide if they are worth your time.

Jason

Duckett supposedly is having trouble with our offense that is why he isn't playing. My opinion is all players seem to be having problem so why single him out

Well Moss,Portis,Lloyd,ARE and Carter fit into emerging FAs since when they signed with the skins this was their first FA payday. So they are doing that to an extent.

Neither Moss, Portis nor Lloyd were FAs and describing Carter as an emerging FA is way beyond a stretch. Carter hadn't done jack since his rookie season and he hadn't played the position we signed him for in almost 3 years.

Out of the FA signings made since Gibbs returned only Marcus Washington and Casey Rabach fit the scenario.

Out of the FA signings made since Gibbs returned only Marcus Washington and Casey Rabach fit the scenario.

I'd add Randel El as well, since he hasn't really broken out as a receiver. I'd also put Griffin there when we signed him, since he didn't have much of a rep before we picked him up, and he's probably our best lineman.

But, as I said previously, those type of players aren't usually available in FA, which means you either need to risk on an underperformer, or trade for the guy.

Jason

Archived