Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN Week 9 QB ratings, Brunell 20

nneece

OMG...

What kinda' clout does this guy have anyway...Gary Horton?:whoknows:

Hard to establish credibility when you give one guy a rankng of 17th and 18th after a four pick performance and another a ranking of 16th after a win in his first NFL start when the previous week he threw three picks. The logic here is beyond me...

I'd rank Brunell somewhere in the middle personally: Brunell is 16th in total yards, 9th in passer rating, and hes only thrown 3 picks...

You gotta give him his due...

Numbers don't lie...

HTTR

OMG...

Hard to establish credibility when you give one guy a rankng of 17th and 18th after a four pick performance and another a ranking of 16th after a win in his first NFL start when the previous week he threw three picks. The logic here is beyond me...

I'd rank Brunell somewhere in the middle personally: Brunell is 16th in total yards, 9th in passer rating, and hes only thrown 3 picks...

Numbers don't lie...

HTTR

What kind of due are you giving Brunell? :doh: When you throw the ball less than 5 yards 3 quarters of the game, how many quarterbacks would have more than 2 interceptions all year. The Skins are 2-5 (These numbers don't lie either) with a granddaddy quarterback and people still believe we are gonna win with this guy. WOW!

OMG...

Numbers don't lie...

HTTR

Holy Macaroni, it's STATSMAN!....Dunadunadunaduna, dunadunadunaduna, STATSMAN!

Obviously, Statsman doesn't have much time to look past numbers and see what's really going on what with all the crime fighting and Brunell protecting he's been doing lately.

OMG...

Numbers don't lie...

HTTR

Keep in mind the mean QB Rating (which is what the NFL uses) might not be the best measure of his QB Rating. Brunell is an inconsistent beast which is why his Mean doesn't at all look like his actual QB Ratings; he's never finished a game in 90s or even 80s for that matter. He's had 3 100+ QB rating games:

Indy thanks largely to a prevent defense that benefits from completed passes as it eats up time; precisely what Brunell did on his last drive.

Houston who is weak defensively.

Jacksonville thanks largely to Santana Moss being an absolute stud.

In the other 4 games he has yet to surpass the 80 QB rating mark. His median QB rating is 76.9, which actually comes close to resembling his actual QB rating in a football game (8 point difference, as opposed to the 16 point difference between his QB Rating and the closest actual game rating).

Food for thought.

OMG...

Numbers don't lie...

HTTR

Also keep in mind that this ranking is not soley based on QB rating and stats. It is also subjective which is why Brunell ranks 20th. Seems about right when you look at his play and the other QB's at this spot.

But Mark Brunell is 9th in QB Rating!1?!?!?!?!1 Doesn't that mean he's awesome?

His receivers are not dropping the ball too much and yards after catch are there. He's playing a little too conservative for now which doesn't win games unless you have a good defense.

OMG...

Numbers don't lie...

HTTR

Really he is lucky to have only 3 INTs. He hit #59 on the Titans right between the numbers twice and has had other drops also. Numbers don't lie, but the way people spin them can make it seem that way.

-16th in total yards but the Skins are 21st in passing yards per game.

We also rank near the bottom of the league in passing for 1st downs, tie for 24th.

OMG...

Numbers don't lie...

HTTR

Actually, the numbers do lie if you've actually watched any of the games.

Also keep in mind that this ranking is not soley based on QB rating and stats. It is also subjective which is why Brunell ranks 20th. Seems about right when you look at his play and the other QB's at this spot.

I am not a huge Brunell lover by any means but I have to say that the "Big Ben" ranking is a farce! He sucks this year, plain and simple. The man actually looses games for his team. I'd guess he has completed more passes to the opposition than to his own team. :doh: The only guy on that list that should be lower than Big Ben is Walter(Oakland QB) but guess what? Big Ben gave Walter that game. :laugh:

OMG...

Numbers don't lie...

HTTR

This ranking means little to nothing to me. ESPN is usually looking forward or backward and rank many players and teams by popularity. bahhh

Mark Brunell this year

Pass Thrown 1-10 yds 71 of 96 74.0%

Pass Thrown 11-20 yds 10 of 31 32.3%

Pass Thrown 21-30 yds 8 of 18 44.4%

Pass Thrown 31-40 yds 1 of 6 16.0%

This is precisely why QB ratings are worthless.

where are you getting those stats? I would like to see how they compare.

where are you getting those stats? I would like to see how they compare.

CNNSI.com. Click on players, go to Mark Brunell, click on stats (on the top bar) and then click on passing splits.

That drop off is considerably worse than most other quarterbacks. Examples:

Drew Brees (10th QB rating) never falls below 60% completion percentage on any passing range.

Rex Grossman (11th QB rating) is 55, 54, and 47% on 10-20 passes, 21-30 passes, and 31-40 passes respectively. All totals higher than Mark Brunell.

Eli Manning (12th QB rating) is 50, 41, and 45 respectively.

I could go on.

The point is, Mark Brunell's completion% drop off at the 10 yard mark is much more pronounced then most other QBs. There is reason to suspect he lacks the arm strength to make deeper passes consistently.

Archived