Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

It's the defense

robotfire

I've heard this arguement several times without any evidence to support it. And it's baseless.

The Redskins are actually 16th in yards per drive on offense. We're 27th on defense.

We are 15th in points per drive on offense. 27th on defense.

We are 20th in punts per drive on offense compared to 13th on defense, but 4th in turnovers per drive on offense compared to 31st on defense.

And we are 16th in Drive Success Rate per drive on offense, which measures the percentage of down series that result in a first down or touchdown (in other words 3-and-outs). On defense we're 24th.

Our starting field position is 22nd on offense. On defense it's 13th.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/drivestats.php

Our 2005 numbers on offense were vey similar to our 2006 numbers, whereas our defensive numbers in 2005 were almost across-the-board top ten.

Clearly, this year one side of the ball is crippling the other side. But I think some of you have which is which mixed up.

Wow. Well played.

Cool link to drive stats. Remind me never to argue with you.

Our offense hasnt been great by any means, but this is what we have scored so far

The team has been known for its defense, and it hasnt shown up at all.

Going from those scores, we scored above 20 4 times and under it 3 times (3 times over if you dont count the garbage TD last game)

I dont expect to win every time we score over 20, but we gotta get more support from the defense.

Those numbers are wrong. The offense only scored 3 against the Cowboys and 15 against Indy.

I try not to start threads about things that have been talked about a hundred times, but I think you almost have to in response to the hundreds of exact-same threads about Brunell, Gibbs and Campbell that have been started.

13th rank. That's our offense.

26th rank. That's our defense.

Brunell's stats:

1465 yards passing, 132 out of 206 completions, 7 TDs/3 INTS, 90.4 passer rating.

I understand he's an easy target to blame, since he's our quarterback. I understand Gibbs is easy to talk trash about, because...well I don't know why you morons do that. But you're completely avoiding the real issue when you say Brunell is the problem. A Gibbs team has always relied, and always will rely on an efficient defense. If we can't get enough plays to make something happen because our defense can't stop anybody on 3rd down, then I think we need to look at the real problem and stop trying to find a scapegoat. You want an easy fix, but it doesn't work that way. This isn't just one position stinking up the field. This is 11 guys on defense not getting it done.

I say put Campbell in because the season's over. Gibbs hasn't done that yet because he knows it ain't over 'til it's over. If the season really isn't over, and Gibbs is right, then Brunell is definitely our best option.

In other words, you're looking at the wrong side of the team for the real problem. I'm not saying the offense is clicking like magic, but it's really hard to win games when the defense is the 26th worst in total yards allowed and 26th worst in total points allowed.

Clint

:thumbsup: I could not agree more!!!Everyone keeps calling for a Q.b. change but that is not the real problem with the Skins right now.Sure the offense has got some issues but this should be expected since it's Saunders first season getting adjusted to the players.The real killer is our defense not getting any turnovers,sacks,Q.b pressure and our secondary keeps giving up the "Five" big plays every game!!!Is there a reason for this?Yes there is a reason a serious lack of talent!!!I don't care how much you coach the likes of Wright and Rumph they just can't cover most elite receivers in the Nfl.

Lets talk about our blitzing, man to we suck at the blitzes right now.Time and time again our blitzes have been getting picked up and we end up getting burned!!The trouble is we don't seem to be trying any stunts.Every time I see the guys start to apporach the line for a bltiz it's the same exact one that just got picked up, two snaps before.I just don't understand?I guess the coner blitz is lost right now because our coners suck A**.I hope we can bring some real talent in the off season for the defense.I think this is the part that has suprised Gibbs the most, that our defense would be ranked so low right now

I can see in 2007 that we will be in search of some guys to build our defense back up again.Cough,Cough no more Adam Archuleta's please!!!I just can't figure out why we would pay so much for a guy like this, when we could have kept Smoot,Peirce and others,that made our 2004 defense so good?

In other words, you're looking at the wrong side of the team for the real problem. I'm not saying the offense is clicking like magic, but it's really hard to win games when the defense is the 26th worst in total yards allowed and 26th worst in total points allowed.

It's hard to win 2 games when your tied by the 4thQ (11 minutes in the Titan game) and all you need is a TD? or a FG? BOTH sides deserve the pointed finger... equally. Then at 4-3 you can point it with MORE emphasis on the D.

Archived