Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

It's amazing how low our standards are. (QB realted)

Destino

this was exactly what i was going to say. why dont people think this is a problem. i think the reason the running game is having such a tough time is cause defenses are creaping up towards the los cause nobody is scared of scotty.

I really dont think the o line is scaring anybody either.

I find it even more amazing when I read that he shouldn't be replaced because he isn't the ONLY problem.

Me too. But if we had a young, promising but untested O line and entire defense sitting on the bench, I would want to see them too. But we don't. Those areas need a lot of work. The QB situation may be improved with a simple substitution, though. What is there to lose?

Yes it is amazing because we have not had an NFL caliber QB since Brad Johnson left. I am also resigning to the fact that we might win 2 more games this year. Not only because of Brunells play, but the team as a whole. Our defense has fell off the planet earth in rankings and our offense can not out score many teams consistently.

We were told my many mediots before the season that we have a good team but what will hold us back is our aging QB, we didn't listen, thinking that Joe and Al could get 1 more good year out of Mark.

Well we are 2-5, and if winning only 2 or 3 games the rest of this season with Mark in there, whats the use? Let Jason play, again not only because of Mark.

Our defense is not all of a sudden going to get there magic back, our defensive line is getting older and more brittle by the day. We have a solid SLB, and adequate MLB and a nothing starting at WLB. Let the Rock get some reps!!! Springs is almost toast because of age he will not be able to cover recievers 1 on 1 much longer, brittle. Carlos has yet to show that he can and we have nothing after him, no youth whatsoever. Taylor is a beast but he can not play as aggressive as he has in the past because he is covering everyones back all over the field. The Archuleta signing is going to rank as one of the all time bust, I wish Chicago would have stepped up and signed him.

Our defense is gonna give up alot of points the rest of this year. Our offense can score with all the weapons we have. Our offense is also pretty young, mainly at the skill positions, our O-line has a few more good years left. The only real age issue is at QB, Mark Brunell is a backup QB at best right now in his fastly fading career. Jason Campbell should be on the field for these next 9 games to find out what we have or at least see some positives to go into next year with. We certainly can not go into 2007 with Mark Brunell as our starting QB, nor Jason Campbell with no experience. Unless they are going to go on yet another spending spree bringing in a FA QB, and I do not want to imagine who that might be.

Finally, its time for a youth movement. Let Rocky, Jason and well that about it, do not get me started on draft picks which we have very few again this year...:doh:

Of the three QBs on the roster, Brunell probably is the best option right now. That may be a sad fact, but that's the situation we have. Campbell will not turn the season around. I'd say there's about a 0.005% chance Collins could.

Face it, this season is gone. I'm thinking about next year. Are we going to start JC green? Or are we going to go with Brunell next year too? Or Collins? Are you saying MB gives us a better chance next year even if JC gets half a season in? How do you know this? Link???

He has had decent protection, good receivers, a running game, great coaches. What else can he possibly ask for?

An arm, lessons on footwork, the ability to progress through his reads, and a removal of the blinders which only allow him to see 1 quarter of the field on any given play ... oh and some courage to step up into the :censored: pocket and be willing to take a hit in order to deliver a pass beyond 10 yards! :cheers:

i think some people are stats driven especially if you dont watch the game. for example on those 3rd and 8 plays when he completes a 4 yard play it still counts as a completion. so he completes a high percentage of passes and because he doesnt take any risks and if portis, moss, cooley or lloyd breaks a long one then his stats are padded more. People see the stats and they dont see that he gives us no chance to win they just say hey thats not a bad game.

Now I am watching the Giants play now and Manning has 106 yards on 4 completions in the 2nd quarter. Brunell has that in the 4th quarter with 25 completions

i think some people are stats driven especially if you dont watch the game. for example on those 3rd and 8 plays when he completes a 4 yard play it still counts as a completion. so he completes a high percentage of passes and because he doesnt take any risks and if portis, moss, cooley or lloyd breaks a long one then his stats are padded more. People see the stats and they dont see that he gives us no chance to win they just say hey thats not a bad game.

Now I am watching the Giants play now and Manning has 106 yards on 4 completions in the 2nd quarter. Brunell has that in the 4th quarter with 25 completions

So true! In addition to padding his stats, and his vastly misleading QB Rating, by allowing him a high completion% on checkdowns, and by avoiding the risk of turnovers in the process... can you imagine how little yardage he would have if not for the incredible yardage after catch/contact that guys like Moss, ARE and even Portis on the shuffle pass/screen have created this year? Nearly 90% of Brunell's passes have been thrown for 10 yards or less in 2006 that's extraordinary... and it completely reveals why opposing defenses can cheat up into the box to eliminate our run, negate our trio of WR deep threats, and overwhelm our OL.

do you really think the Colts offensive line is that outstanding or is it Manning's quick release and pocket sense that prevents sacks and allows the offense to be productive? :)

That is kind of what my thoughts are. Even though Brunell is thought of as a smart QB, I think his pocket presence has been less than impressive. I think the O-line has underperformed this year, but there have also been several occasions where Brunell doesn't step into the provided pocket, or drops too far back, or heads for the sideline at the first sight of an opponent instead of sidestepping. Looks like he has developed happy feet to me. Way too many throws off his back foot or while backpeddling. Plus to have any zip on the ball he has to really windup and step into the throw.

From what I have seen of Brunell throughout his career is that he is a QB who loves to rollout to buy time. Problem as I see it is he no longer has that mobility and arm strength on the move to deliver downfield throws. I think this limitation really decreases the amount of field defenses have to cover when he starts to roll.

It seems to me the protection has to be near perfect for Brunell to be able to deliver the ball downfield.

Archived