Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Bill Simmons from ESPN

ELCHALJE

Simmons draws an analogy between Milton Berle and the Skins-Indy game. Berle, a TV comic, was supposedly known for his endowment. Challenged one time, he won easily and later claimed that he had only pulled out enough to win.

Simmons says that Dungy, Bellichek, and Shanahan are the only coaches in the NFL who will trot out only enough to win against lesser opponents, saving the rest for the tougher opponents. Accordingly, he predicts a close game for today with Dungy staying vanilla and trotting out only enough to win. He gives the Indy-Titan game as an example.

If the theory is good, then today's game could be close, at least for a while.

Well Joe Gibbs, as THE MASTER, intends to get us to the Super Bowl this year by having teams underestimate us after losing to the Titans and our 2-4 start?

We will run the table, or at least go 9-1 the rest of the way. The Master Plan calls for at least a 1 game improvement (11-5 or better record) and NFC Championship game appearance this year. Everything is based on progressive improvement until we reach the Super Bowl.

That strategy can really bite one on the tush.

I would be surprised if this were true.

I would more likely believe the players see some teams as easy pickings and dont put up a 100% effort and then have to put up 175% to pull out a win.

Had they taken them seriously they would not have had any problem.

I recall times in the locker room (not NFL mind you) where players were saying this team is a cupcake, no worry about a win ... etc. THOSE games sometimes were the ugliest because the other team came out to kick some @$$ and we came out to just play some ball.

I don't think the Colts view the Redskins as a weaker opponent. I expect that they respect our playmakers and the potential that we bring into a game. Good coaches don't subscribe to the same theories as analysts, talk show gurus, or know-it-all columnists. The Colts expect our A game and will come out firing with live ammo.

that is just idiotic

once a coach values an opponent as "lesser" not only does he lose, he doesn't very long

I have to agree with Bubba on this! That is a idiotic strategy...."lets put ourselves in a 'must win' situation by week 6....then we'll just run the table..no one will expect it!" :doh:

What I suspect and expect is its taking the team longer to 'gel' with the new offence. They will get it together and be a juggernaugt. Let pray it doesnt take to long and starts this weekend. On defence can only be a couple of things. One the injuries are REALLY hurting us that bad. Two offensive cordinators have figured out GW defence and blitz packages. I'm not a Def Cordinator genious but I'll play one here....GW lets address both possiblilites and put a SQUASH on those offences...and to Saunders....give Clinton the ball!

HAIL

Simmons draws an analogy between Milton Berle and the Skins-Indy game. Berle, a TV comic, was supposedly known for his endowment. Challenged one time, he won easily and later claimed that he had only pulled out enough to win.

Simmons says that Dungy, Bellichek, and Shanahan are the only coaches in the NFL who will trot out only enough to win against lesser opponents, saving the rest for the tougher opponents. Accordingly, he predicts a close game for today with Dungy staying vanilla and trotting out only enough to win. He gives the Indy-Titan game as an example.

That's quite possibly the dumbest strategy I've ever heard.

with our NFC rec i doubt we have a chance for even a wildcard shot at this point

As I read in the program for the game against the Titans:

In 2002 the Titans fell to 1-4 after losing to Steve Spurriers hapless Redskins. They proceeded to win 10 or their next 11 regular season games at made it to the AFC Championship.

It can be done, one step at a time.

That theory is probably why sports writers are paid to write idiotic theories, and they AREN'T paid to coach!

Archived