Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All things Shawn Springs (Merged)

ragemdw

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

This is ridiculous that we just let Eli Manning pick us apart. Our offense had no chance in this game cause the defense was always on the field.

Goose said he asked Williams about his lack of blitzing and he said that he didnt want to leave his secondary out there.

That is ridiculous. We are leaving them out to dry by not getting one ounce of pressure on the QB. We didnt have the defense we did cause of one player last year. Springs missing cant make our defense that bad.

WILLIAMS..MAN UP AND RUN YOUR DEFENSE!! GET SOME PRESSURE!! STOP THIS DROP BACK CRAP AND LETTING THE OPPOSING OFFENSE PICK US APART!!

RIDICULOUS!!

I don't know if we can put all of this on Springs...obviously we are not doing the things we want to be able to do defensively. I think the offense is intact, however, we've got to be firing on all cylinders, which we aren't. Take heart fellas, this one stings but I'd rather have it sooner than later. These things can be and will be fixed. Let's look towards next week and leave this one in the past.

Yeah really seemed like G.W. was bringing it the last 2 weeks and all of a sudden he remembered Springs isn't here and we might have a hole in the backfield so maybe we shouldn't bring it...

What the.. on 2nd downs when we brought the pressure (the few times we brought pressure it worked) only to let them convert (no pressure) on thirds...

Well at least we know what position to sign first next year...

I'm sorry.

We have what.... the #9 overall pick (Carlos Rogers), the $5 overall pick (Sean Taylor) and a free agent SS Adam Archuletta that we just made the highest paid safety in the NFL. Not to mention we were all thrilled at the hiring of Jerry Gray.

And it's because we're missing Shawn Springs that our defensive secondary is atrocious? Give me a break.

How much money and talent do you have to throw at 4 positions to get it to produce even somewhat competently? This is just ridiculous.

And Springs isn't going to fix it.

i'm really starting to believe that we dont have the personell to make ths defense work. This thing that G Williams has been experimenting with, you know the ol' "lets take the guys that other teams don't want and make them work here" strategy is not working any more. At some point you need players thats more physically talented. when you look at teams like the Ravens, their personell puts fear into their opponents. They have leadership (not saying we don't) they are hungry, young, strong and smart. We need more than 3 good players on our defense, especially on our line.

I'm sorry.

We have what.... the #9 overall pick (Carlos Rogers), the $5 overall pick (Sean Taylor) and a free agent SS Adam Archuletta that we just made the highest paid safety in the NFL. Not to mention we were all thrilled at the hiring of Jerry Gray.

And it's because we're missing Shawn Springs that our defensive secondary is atrocious? Give me a break.

How much money and talent do you have to throw at 4 positions to get it to produce even somewhat competently? This is just ridiculous.

And Springs isn't going to fix it.

I agree for the most part, however, remember how close this league really is. One man could be the difference. Crazy? Yes, but true.

I agree for the most part, however, remember how close this league really is. One man could be the difference. Crazy? Yes, but true.

The defensive line isn't generating pressure... and the linebackers can't cover anyone underneath.

And if the Redskins secondary isn't allowing catches.... they're getting called for interference.

I'm sorry... this is all lose-lose. We're not talking about a weak link... we're talking about a complete meltdown.

The defensive line isn't generating pressure... and the linebackers can't cover anyone underneath.

And if the Redskins secondary isn't allowing catches.... they're getting called for interference.

I'm sorry... this is all lose-lose. We're not talking about a weak link... we're talking about a complete meltdown.

Word, couldn't agree more.

Shawn Springs doesn't have as much of an effect as I think the play calling and the awful tackling does. It seems like every time the skins play conservative on defense, we get picked apart. BTW: if conservative play results in 411 yards, what's the point?When we're aggressive, things happen (turn-overs, sacs, etc.). Sure, it leaves you vunerable but if one's not working switch it up a little. The only consistancy I've seen in this defense is in not adjusting the strategy when the one being employed is not working. When the defensive strategy is working we stick with it, when it's not we stick with it.

There is also a lack of heart on defense (and offense) when things don't start off well. The Skins should hire a motivational speaker for the team. I would happily take the job, lol.

I don't believe Springs will come back like Jesus and magically transform this defense...there are more areas that need help....and Springs have been out for a substantial amount of time...and when he does make it back he's going to need a couple games to get back in it himself...so we need to pump the breaks on all this Springs the Savior talk.

If we're not comfortable with coverage, we don't bring the house. Simple as that. Whenever we do, we get fried. Unfortunately, we're not getting the pressure we thought we would with the D-line, and are still need the blitz. Unfortunately that is taken away with Springs out. Plan 3 anyone?

Personally, I think it's a myth. The problems on Gregg Williams' defense run far deeper than an injury to one player. And in general, if an injury to one player has a paralyzing effect on the unit as a whole, then the system must be flawed.

First, the pass rush from the front four...deja vu all over again. It appears, after 5 games, that Andre Carter's drop-off in production during his last few years in San Francisco was not just due to him being used incorrectly. It was due to him being a pretty average player. And the rest of the line hasn't produced much pressure, this year or in years past. So we are now where we've been before: the defensive line is constitutionally incapable of producing a consistent pass rush.

Second, does anyone think that giving Adam Archuletta the richest safety contract in NFL history was a good idea? I'll take Ryan Clark for comparative chump change, thank you very much.

Third, I fear deeply that Gregg Williams has either been figured out, or perhaps his system is fragile. It works great if all the pieces are in place, but one crack or two can render it useless. If he can't use his attacking style, then he's lost. The Redskins defensive ranking has dropped like a stone, and after the Giants 400+ yard performance, welcome to the bottom of the league.

Do I think that the defense will improve when Springs returns? Sure, I do. It couldn't get much worse. It will allow more blitzing and such. But it would be wrong to think that everything will magically come together. There are big problems with the defense at every level, and Shawn Springs isn't going to fix everything when he returns.

Archived