Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Davis Fumble thread

Golgo-13

Ok, I will start out by saying that I am a huge fan of Stephen Davis. He is the only real weapon we have on offense right now and IMHO the good far outweighs the bad with him. I can even let a few fumbles here and there slide by. But what drives me nuts is the fact that he always seems to fumble at the worst possible time. I was talking with my buddy on the way to work today. We were trying to figure out if we had ever won a game where Davis fumbled the ball. We couldn't think of any times that we had. Anyway, I just wanted to vent that frustration and see if any of you could remember any times where we had won when he had fumbled it.

Originally posted by Chief skin

Fumble or no fumble they have to pound the ball at the defense. At the rate this offense is going Davis is not going to get 1000 yards this year

they pounded the ball... Davis had 24 carries, 91 yards... he got his carries... and on top of that, Watson had some carries as did Thompson on a few end arounds... that wasn't the problem IMO...

That fumble was on Davis, not Ramsey. But, the rule is last person with full possession and since Davis never wrapped the ball properly

It wasn't that he didn't wrap the ball properly, he never had it. The replay showed that the ball was handed way too low, he never had the chance to grab it.

At the rate this offense is going Davis is not going to get 1000 yards this year

At this rate, Davis will end up with 1194 rushing yards. Throw in the recieving yards, and he'll end up with 1300 or so yards. Now if we can get any form of stabilization on the O line and at QB...

Chief,

I hate to break it to you, but at the rate Davis is going, he'll not only end up with 1,000 yards, but, he'll end up with the following, at the rate he's going.....

285 carries.

1194 yards.

8 rushing touchdowns.

Let's not factor in receiving to this point. But, the point is, Davis is FAR ahead of his pace in every category as compared to this point last year, and while I think he'll fail to get the carries and yards he got last year in the running game, he'll have a better year overall I'd bet.

Rskin,

Sorry, but that replay showed the ball was put hard in Davis gut. You don't get more textbook that that. Davis simply didn't grip it. That kind of thing happens a couple of times a year, but, I'd encourage you to watch that play again and instead of listening to Maas tell you what happened, turn the sound off and just watch and let your vision clear it up :).

If by "gut" you mean his ****, then yeah.

It was textbook; good snap, Davis about to pound the hole, then comes the handoff. Davis is grabing mostly air along with the very top of the ball. Maybe it was Davis' fault, maybe he should have had his hands lower, but the ball WAS placed too low for him to grab.

I've probably seen that play the same number of times you have and I have a totally different read on what I saw. But, until I see it again I won't be able to say you're wrong or I'm right. But, once I do, you can bet I will :).

When you have a rookie QB in the game, you accept that he'll make mistakes (o.k., many of our fans accept nothing of the sort, but it's true that he will make mistakes nonetheless). We need our vet RB to elevate his game.

Instead, Davis has increased his propensity to fumble.

I'm 'bout at the point where I'm ready to move in a different direction. Stephen Davis simply cannot put a team on his shoulders and carry them. Marshall Faulk can do that. Eddie George used to do that. Emmit Smith has done it. Edgerrin James can do it. Priest Holmes is doing it. Ladainian Tomlinson's doing it.

Stephen Davis isn't. His salary, his style (the smashmouth back who needs 25 carries just to get going) and his tendency to fumble all point to a Davis-less future for the Skins. And I don't think it'd be such a bad thing.

We need our vet RB to elevate his game.

See Tennesse game.

I'm 'bout at the point where I'm ready to move in a different direction. Stephen Davis simply cannot put a team on his shoulders and carry them. Marshall Faulk can do that. Eddie George used to do that. Emmit Smith has done it. Edgerrin James can do it. Priest Holmes is doing it. Ladainian Tomlinson's doing it.

Yeah, most of our wins the past 3 years have been flukes. Can you count the number of times where we have lost when Davis has had 25 or more carries? 25 or more carries is a pretty heavy load for one person, but that wouldn't classify as carrying the team would it?

Who needs Davis anyway, next year or early 2004, he'd be the leading rusher in Redskins history...but anyone can do that, especially when they're not carrying the team.

Did you say "bet" Art?

:D

If I win, then hmmm...

1. Custom Avatar of my choosing. For you. <insert evil laugh>

2. I want scskinsfan banned from posting any more news.

3. 100 extra points in The Man.

If I lose, then...well...I'm not going to lose so it doesn't matter. :)

Archived